cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text Question

Macorius
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Do I have the ability to receive text messages without cellular data turned on? Right now it seems there is an information dump after I turn on cellular data since my phones suddenly starts notifying me of receipt.

And thank you Public Mobile, you are an awesome provider, I really wish they started offering internet... Cheers

5 REPLIES 5

Macorius

You hit the nail on the head. This is the answer. Another post said 250 mb was enough, so I will see if that plan works and if not I guess I will have to buy data in the future. Thanks to everybody - but this post answered my exact issue.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

It's the weirdness of the iphone imessaging. If you don't have the send as sms and send as mms options turned on then it needs the internet to send old timey instant messages to other iphones. These are not real sms texts. The internet can be wifi or cellular data. If you are doing standard mms then that needs cellular data on.
Do you get the same "information dump" when on wifi?

It really depends on how much data you have. How about this. Let me share my stats with you. I have 250mb of data per month ($15 plan) and I don't use data at all. I have sent 56 iMessages and received 48 iMessages. I have used roughly 60mb so far this monthly cycle and still have till August 23rd. Hope this helps.

Macorius

Do I want iMessage setting under Messages to be on in the case where I have no data?

Thanks for your time!

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Depends. If your phone is "text messages" based, then no. If you're using an iPhone for "iMessages" then yes.

Edit: If you're using an Android phone, this is regular text messages and doesn't use data. If you're using an iPhone then there are two options, you can set it so it's iMessages which use data or you can set it for regular text messages which won't use data.

Make sense?

Need Help? Let's chat.