cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Test Messages on Home Plan Wifi counted against Public Mobile Plan

cory_c
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I mostly send text messages using my internet wifi at home and only use Public Mobile wifi to send messages when I'm outside. This month I only sent out 2 at the most using PM wifi.

To my surprise I received a message from PM that I only have 10 outgoing messages.  

Question: Why is PM counting messages that go out on my homes wifi system?

The intent was to save my PM wifi for outgoing messages when I'm out of the house. 

Yesterday I sent out 2 messages on my ‘home Wifi’ and according to Public Mobile ‘My Account’ I now have 8 messages left between now and Oct 20th.

Frankly, I think PM owes me on the text message that were not made on their system.

###

12 REPLIES 12

Agreed. It's adding confusion that isn't needed in this thread.

@DennyCrane wrote:

@computergeek541 I think @Yummy is referring to services like TextNow, which is true, but also not relevant to the topic at hand

Using an app such as TextNow or Whatsapp to send a message through Wi-Fi isn't SMS at all. The point I'm trying to make is how the 3rd party app debate isn't a determining factor.  Some third party apps can send true SMS, and even some stock messaging apps can send non-SMS messages that do go through Wi-Fi.

@computergeek541 I think @Yummy is referring to services like TextNow, which is true, but also not relevant to the topic at hand

As for SMS over WiFi, it can go over WiFi with carriers that have Wi-Fi calling. It's not just for phone calls, it's also for SMS. But again, not relevant at Public Mobile anyway, as they don't have WiFi calling. And as I said, it would likely still count against your SMS allocation anyway, as WiFi calling (with your carrier) is not typically a way to circumvent standard billing (it's simply a way of obtaining extended coverage in low/no service areas).

@Yummy wrote:

You cannot send SMS through WiFi - UNLESS - you use 3rd party app.

That's not right.  SMS never uses Wi-Fi no matter which app is used.  if it goes by Wi-Fi, that isn't SMS.

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

SMS messages do not use wifi or cellular data. The only time that could be true is if the carrier has WiFi calling, which Public Mobile does NOT. And even then they'd likely still bill you as normal anyway.

iMessage and RCS don't use the SMS protocol, and wouldn't count against your SMS bucket. So if that's how you were sending messages before, that may be why it didn't count against your allocated text messages in your plan. But if your phone is sending SMS, it's going to go through the Public Mobile network and count against your allocation; no way around that. 

cory_c

Up to yesterday, all my messages have been text — using my home internet provider wifi. As of Oct 9th I had 10 messages left. Following the reminder that I had 10 messages left, I then sent 2 text messages using my home internet provider (who is not PM).

If PM is not counting my text sent with another carrier, then why is it that today MY Account indicates that I have 8 outgoing messages left.?

I don't want to keep repeating the same instance.

At this point, I would like to connect with a Public Mobile Tech person who can look into the backend of my account to investigate this issue further.  ###

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

You cannot send SMS through WiFi - UNLESS - you use 3rd party app.
ALL SMS go through mobile service provided by PM meaning you have to have mobile service (phone) with PM.

If you look at your account there is a counter for SMS but that should be ignored as PM does 'count' in/out SMS as SMS has unlimited in/out messages.

cory_c

I guess the bottom line is: Why have my text messages using another carrier wifi been counted on my Public Mobile account?

cory_c

I've been informed by LG that if RCS does not exist on my phone 'Network Settings' then it means the 'carrier' is not providing it.

@cory_c   What kind of text message are you sending?  SMS doesn't require a data connection whereas MMS does need data and doesn't work over home wifi.

cory_c

I have an LG K31 Android Phone.  iMessage/RCS does not come up.

To test it I sent a 'text' message without using any wifi but I'm still waiting to hear back from the person I sent it to.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @cory_c 

All current plan have unlimited SMS, but are you on very old plan with limited SMS /Text?

the explanation is that you were supposed to send iMessage or RCS at home using wifi but you somehow sent using text.  It is a phone setup

check the colour of your text, it will show you text or iMessage/RCS

Need Help? Let's chat.