cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax payment

cd_rehv
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just ported my number to Public Mobile. I checked my payments, the tax portion is Ontario which is 13%. The number I registered/ported in is (416) although I am here in Alberta. I have been using this area code with Virgin Mobile while I am here in AB and charged only 5%. Tax here in AB is only 5%. I am here in Alberta and I registered my Public Mobile account in Alberta. My account address shows I'm in Alberta but my tax payment is Ontario.

Same problem with accessing my voicemail, it announces the Ontario time instead of announcing Alberta time. Please help me with this. Thanks a lot

15 REPLIES 15

@cd_rehv    If you activated your self serve account recently, then you will earn the bonus points for 12 months each time you add funds to your account either for the renewal cycle or for purchasing add-ons.

cd_rehv

I am browsing the website, it says Get 3x the points-back. So instead of 5% points, it will be 15% for 12 months?

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

You can buy them at places like Shell or Shoppers for no known delay. Other vendors may have a delay.

The wording doesn't specify that the spending needs to come from the preauthorized payments.

------

Earn points just by paying your bill. For every dollar you spend (on your plan and on add-ons), you’ll make 5% of it back in points. Spend away!

------

cd_rehv

okay, where do I buy vouchers? what about my preauthorized payments, I believe I make points if I have my payments preauthorized

whyveeare
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Just buy vouchers in AB instead.  Then you will only pay the 5% GST.  Easy peasy 🙂

The difference is likely that Virgin is postpaid and they have your veryfied address on your profile (since they did a credit check on you when you singned up and are reporting to your credit score), so they choose to apply the taxes according to your residential address.

Public Mobile is prepaid, you can use any name and address you like and they couldn't care less, you can even use prepaid "gift" credit cards that can't be traced to you. So the phone number is the only binding indicator that influences the application of sales taxes.

Edit: Dang it! The lag here in the community is getting me every time in the past couple of days. Dust2dust's reply was not there when I submitted this.

cd_rehv

Lol. Yeah it was a postpaid account with VM

Was that a postpaid account? Regardless, this place charges tax based on the area code. The address on the account does nothing. It can be fake even as it's not verified. So can your name. You can be very anonymous here. Like burner phones in the movies.

@cd_rehv wrote:

I ported 416 are code number from Virgin Mobile, which I have been using since I moved here in AB in summer. VM only charged me 5% while I am here in AB.

Most likely PM and Virgin bill customers differently: PM based on phone's area code while Virgin based on actual address (which PM does not care much about).

cd_rehv

I ported 416 are code number from Virgin Mobile, which I have been using since I moved here in AB in summer. VM only charged me 5% while I am here in AB.

cd_rehv

I have used this number since I moved here in Alberta with Virgin Mobile. When I changed my address, VM charged me only 5% tax. Thanks for your response 🙂

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

If you changed your phone number to Ontario, you will pay 13% tax.

If you still have your Alberta phone number you should pay Alberta tax.

What area code is your mobile PM number?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@cd_rehv , taxes are determined by area code of your phone number, not where you actually reside.  

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@cd_rehv 

Public mobile calculates your taxes based on your area code of your phone number. If your area code belongs to Ontario, unfortunately, you will be charged Ontario taxes, ie. 13%. 

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@cd_rehv hi your taxes are related to your phone number/area code if it's ontario number then you will be taxed Ontario rates regardless of what address you use  

Need Help? Let's chat.