cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switched from 3G plan to 4G and internet speed is much slower

JeffB155
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I've been using the $15/month 3G plan for two years. I thought i'd switch to the $40/month 4G plan to see how it runs, and the internet is about 10 times slower. If I run speedtest I only get 2mbps download. 

For those using 4G, what kind of download speed do you get when running speedtest? Because for me the internet is basically unusable where I was actually happier with the much cheaper 3G service plan. 

8 REPLIES 8

DDM69
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@JeffB155 

It will get better...much better 😁

hi @JeffB155   i think you need to wait 48 hours

hi @DDM69 , it works for you, because you waited 48 hours  🙂

DDM69
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@JeffB155 

I just checked mine now…

IMG_6261.jpeg

JeffB155

My phone is Samsung Galaxy A53 5G which is a 2022 model so very new.

Under Access Point Names there are two options:
Mobile Internet
sp.mb.com

Tethered Mobile Internet
isp.mb.com

It's selected the first. I don't see an options to update APS but I can add a new APS manually.

@JeffB155   because of the plan change today, the new speed actuallly won't take in effect until 48 hours after the plan change, so 2 more days to wait  😞

Please follow the troubleshooting steps I mentioned above 2 days later .. if the speed is still not good

JeffB155

I requested the plan change about 10 days ago and it just went into effect today because the billing cycle starts on the 16th for me. 

Also when I go to mobile networks these are my choices:
5G/LTE/WCDMA/GSM
LTE/WCDMA/GSM <---- it auto-chose this one
WCDMA/GSM
WCDMA only
GSM only

And this is using the speedtest app:

Screenshot_20230516_184341_Speedtest.jpg

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @JeffB155 

usually you should not have the speed downgrade like this

what kind of phone you have?

if you have an iPhone, update the Carrier profile, or update APN if yours is an Android

And try your sim in another phone, in another area

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@JeffB155 

how long you have requested to change the plan?  Please note that it takes 48 hours for the new speed to come.  So, if it has not be 48 hours yet, you are still set on the 3G speed

Also, test the speed using some app at different location and make sure it is not a local network problem. You can download the speed test app from https://www.speedtest.net/apps

Another thing, make sure your preferred network is set to 4G or LTE and NOT 5G.  Setting it to 5G will in fact make it worse

And you might also want to try "Reset All Networks" first.  But please note it will delete saved Wifi connections as well, you just need to re-join them after

Need Help? Let's chat.