cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swapping sim card

Hewi
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Want to use my current sim card in my backup phone temporarily but when swapped over it connects to network as public mobile, sends and recieves messages, connects to data but it wont send or recieve phone calls. I previously used my backup phone with the exact same sim...

27 REPLIES 27

Hewi

I did factory reset, did update not sure what order the phone is up to date.

@Hewi W is a Canadian model and no reason it doesn't work for voice calls

But both your wife's sim and yours not on this device bit working fine on another phone, so it is highly unlikely an account problem.

You said you did a factory reset? And no more OS update??

Hewi

Galaxy a70 SM-A705W

@Hewi check the exact device model from System>About screen. Would like to confirm the bands if has 

Hewi

Took it to a tech (away fom home) he put his sim in the a70 and phoned his shop #...it went through normal. Put my sim back in and nothing. Not so sure its device related if buddys sim works in it (as it should) i dont know

@Hewi 

if that is the case, pretty sure it is a device problem and not accunt or sim

is that the A70 with the problem? Try in different area away from home.

And anymore new OS you can upgrade?

Hewi

Yes its on pm network and settings have been reset before and after factory reset. Tried auto connect tried the others as well still no calling...the wifes sim in my phone does same thing but yet each of our sims work fine in her phone and in my primary phone.

@Hewi 

just to confirm, so it actually connected to PM network and just not able to make voice calls?

did you try Reset All Networks?

if that does not help, change the Network mode to 3G Only and see if voice calls work

Hewi

Thanks but im not trying to use volte just a straight sim swap wich ive done before, not sure what the quirk is.

Hewi

Yes its a canadian phone, used it for 2yrs with this sim no problem...now i want to use it temporarily by swapping the sim back but cant do calls in/out. Data and texts work.

@Hewi 

Neither of phone,   s20fe, samsung a70, made it to the PM's VoLTE compatible list

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/volte

Hewi

I dont have volte option on either phone

HI @Hewi 

did you get your  backup phone in Canada?  and you tried Reset all networks?

Hewi

I will have a look, thanks.

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Maybe it has to do with VoLTE, check the settings for this on the A70.

A guide I just happened to find:
https://videotron.tmtx.ca/en/topic/samsung_galaxya70/using_voice_over_lte_volte.html 

Hewi

Thanks and yes i have done the updates.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Hewi  Does the A70 possibly need an update to any of it's software or calling app component?  Perhaps ensure that before trying the PM SIM cards again...

Hewi

Not sure of the other carrier...cell phone fix it guy stuck his sim in it and it worked

Hewi

I used my backup phone (a70) with the same sim previously no issues. Swapped same sim to current s20fe no issues. Swapping back to a70 has issues not sure why as it was previously fine with the same sim

Hewi

Samsung s20fe, samsung a70 (backup)

Then the backup device does not appear to be compatible with PM calling functionality.

Has it EVER worked for calling with PM in the past?

Which other carrier DOES it work with for calling?

Hewi

Yes i used the wifes pm sim card and it does the same thing...used a sim card from someone with a different carrier and it worked normal 

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Hewi  And if you put  the SIM card  back in your primary  phone it works ? 

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

What two phones do you have?

Hewi

I have have reset settiings, rebooted phone and even done a factory reset with no luck

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Hewi 

can you test another SIM card in the back up phone to see if calling functionality works or not?

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Hewi  Try rebooting the phone or reset network settings 

Need Help? Let's chat.