cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange phone and SMS behaviour

Nort
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

As of January 20, the phone (Moto G8 Power) started selectively not working. Outgoing calls and SMS msg's working fine, but incoming SMS msg's work for some people, but not others. For instance, for a neighbour who is on Bell, I get the SMS texts no problem, but another person who is on Public Mobile, the incoming msg's do not show up, but I can send msg's no problem. A relative and his wife are on a family plan with Rogers, and I can get her msg's, but not his. 

With the phone, outgoing calls work perfectly, but incoming calls either go straight to the message box, or don't show up at all. 

Also with the phone, notifications do not work at all for the message box, and when you go to notifications for the phone, the buttons are greyed out, and you can't turn them on or off, though in the greyed out state, they all show as on. 

I did try rebooting the phone BTW. 

19 REPLIES 19

@Nort wrote:

I threw out all the remaining card around the sim size that fit.

@Nort no worry if you already threw out the outer "frame".  Check with any mobile stores, they likely have some around, probably they will give you for free

Nort

I think the phone is the nano size, and the old phone is the larger size. If so, I threw out all the remaining card around the sim size that fit. I had to get back to work, so I'm going to confirm all this tomorrow morning when I have a chance. Thanks. 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Nort wrote:

I don't have another phone that fits that SIM card. 

In the same house we have another phone on Public Mobile, and it works fine.

@Nort - if your SIM Card is a 3-in-1 punch out with outer adapters you could switch it out with the other phone in your house and test it. Gently remove the smallest, nano part, out. Then when you put it back in your phone put the adapter back around it.

If you want to test the sim in another phone, that is.

Nort

Thanks for all the help, not fixed, but I'm going to reset all Wi-Fi, mobile and Bluetooth, and see what happens. Will reply back later with the results. 

Nort

I don't have another phone that fits that SIM card. 

In the same house we have another phone on Public Mobile, and it works fine.

Nort

Don't have another phone that fits that SIM card size.

Nort

3G did not help. Was on LTE since first on Pub Mobile without issue however. 

Nort

Yes, a new community account - I could not log in with my user account.

The chat issues are not the cause, and none of that has changed.

They do not come in at all. 

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Nort  Yes in response  to your PS post and not being able to log in and having created another account because of email situation , because from what I understand only 1 account per email and phone number 

@Nort wrote:

Tried that, thanks, but no change. 

@Nort   try your sim card in anther phone

Also, try your phone in different area. Could be just a weak 3G signal where you are 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire
@Nort wrote:

but another person who is on Public Mobile, the incoming msg's do not show up,

Hi @Nort  

confirm if the person is using iPhone or Android and if any chance he is using iMessage or RCS?

And change the network to 3G and your inbound calls might starting working without problem

Nort

Tried that, thanks, but no change. 

Nort

Do you mean help with the phone issue, or logging in issue? The phone is my partners phone, mine is fine. She just does not want to deal with this. I could log in with her info if needed to re-ask the question if that is what is needed. 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Nort wrote:

PS - I've been on Public Mobile for years, but for some reason I could not log in on my account with my e-mail as my user name, so I created a new account. 

@Nort - do you mean you created a new Community account?

Because, you cannot create your own My Account unless you are activating a new Public Mobile SIM card or have never created a My Account in the past (then CSA would need to help you create one.

A lot of issues all of a sudden, that's too bad.

My first suggestion would be to check if anyone is using iMessage or Chat Features to text you.

Both iMessage and Chat Features require a wifi connection or data to send/receive texts.

• if iMessage the sender needs to be sure to have SMS and MMS enabled in the settings of their device.
  • if they are using android and they use Chat Features, then I suggest they turn that off, as it requires wifi or data to send/receive texts. Or, you will need to turn on your data or be in a wifi zone to receive texts.

How to Disable Chat Features: 

1. Open Messages
  2. Tap More options > Settings > Chat features
  3. Turn Enable chat features off

If above does not apply, then it could be a device issue. Try a to perform a Reset of your device's Network Settings. This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, VPN and APN settings, and connected Bluetooth devices that you've used before.

Find and tap Settings > System > Advanced > Reset options > Reset network settings.

It also could be network related, if there are weak signals. Do the text come in eventually, or not at all?

If still issues after all suggestions, perhaps you could see what CSA says.

­­­Public Mobile Representatives customer support­­­ agents (CSA) can be contacted by either two methods, found here:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/contact-an-agent

Meow
Mayor / Maire

You can have only one PM account with your unique email and phone number.

Try to use your PM SIM in another phone to determine is that PM or phone issue.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Nort  Another thing when signing into self serve , it’s best to do so incognito mode private mode or even another device or lap top there are cache issues ,, another thing if the device yo use has stored email and password let the device sign you in and don’t hit login allow the device to just sign you in 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Nort   

Try to reseat the sim card.  Power off the phone, take sim out for a minute before putting it back and power up

Also, try to change the network to 3G only and see if it helps.  Calls use 3G network.  The phone has to switch from 4G to 3G when calls come and sometimes the delay caused the calls to loss.  Changing it to 3G only could avoid the network switch and avoid the drop of call if that is the reason

Also, if possible, try your sim card in another phone and see if it works better

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Nort  I think you gonna need support to straighten this out especially with email / second account …

while your already here and logged in the community

• you can send a private message to our  CS_Agents by clicking here.

Nort

PS - I've been on Public Mobile for years, but for some reason I could not log in on my account with my e-mail as my user name, so I created a new account. 

Need Help? Let's chat.