cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Someone trying to transfer my number

Architect67
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have gotten 2 emails and 2 texts so far that someone is trying to transfer my number from Fido to Public Mobile. However I am already with Public mobile and don't have a Fido account so I believe it is someone trying to steal my number? Not sure what to do, I've denied both emails sent to me and submitted a ticket but I'm still a bit nervous.

Any help is appreciated thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Architect67 

Sounds like someone is trying to SIM swap your number.

Just don’t reply to the text confirming you agree to porting your number from Fido.

Good thing that it is tougher for scammers to SIM swap on PM because the CS_Agent will ask questions to verify that you are you.

It is easy to SIM swap on carriers that have live customer agent to talk over the phone.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Architect67 

Best not to respond ANYTHING at all. 

Don't let the sender know they've reached a valid number - they will if your reply.

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@Architect67 wrote:

I have gotten 2 emails and 2 texts so far that someone is trying to transfer my number from Fido to Public Mobile. However I am already with Public mobile and don't have a Fido account so I believe it is someone trying to steal my number? Not sure what to do, I've denied both emails sent to me and submitted a ticket but I'm still a bit nervous.

Any help is appreciated thanks!

Immediately delete texts and emails that sent to you and block the phone number sent texts and report spam emails in your email account. Make sure your password for PM account is strong and make sure logout after.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Architect67  the request was from Fido to PM? or the other way around?

If it is Fido to PM, you shouldn't be receiving the text from PM.  PM only sends those text when it is porting OUT from PM.  Be careful if it is just a spam message

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Architect67 @If it’s not you trying to port numbers don’t reply to text , maybe change your passwords possibly 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Architect67   was your number ever on Fido?

It could be that people entered wrong number. 

But be careful still.  Make sure your My Account is protected, good password and 2FA enabled.  Don't share your account number

Honest, other than that, there is really nothing much more you can do

Need Help? Let's chat.