cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM registration failure

Lars
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am trying to register my new PM SIM - and port a number form DCI telecom. After the first step registration process gets stuck at identifying the number a want to port. The chat bot is useless solving this. Finally I figured out how to and sent an email to tech support. A very frustrating intro to Public Mobile

22 REPLIES 22

Lars

Thank you! Strange though, normally when you are resetting a PIN they want old number before they prompt you for the new one.

PM has a lot of holes in their process. The text message, announcing that you generated a new PIN should send you to your profile to change it if needed. Or am I asking too much?

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Lars   You can login to your self serve account and change the 4 digit PIN anytime.  Reminder to use incognito/private mode for self serve because of caching problems.

@Lars   you can easily reset the security pin yourself.

Just login to My Account, go to Profile page, and you can reset it there

https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/en/account/my-profile/edit/security-informationhttps://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/en/account/my-profile/edit/security-information

Lars

Porting number from DCI Telecom ( update)

The port was successful this morning. It was fairly painless, CS was good. There is one problem though remains unresolved.  I still have no idea what the account Security PIN is. When I registered my temp number I can't recall I got a Security PIN. And I take a note of everything! During the port the CS agent kept asking for it.  I had no idea what they are asking for. Luckily CS has a work around it - understandably a bit of a pain - but the port was completed. I got txt msg saying, and I quote exactly here:  "You have successfully created a new PIN. Keep this number safe as itll be used to authenticate your identity."  But there was no PIN number in the text. Go figure. Not knowing what it is will certainly keep it safe. 🤔

The good news is that the ported number works fine, at least as a phone. I have to figure how to test the data service - without blowing my 1G quota. 

Lars

DCI was very helpful. After 22 years with them - unbelievable! -  I do not expect any 'retribution' in terms of penalties. Lets see how it goes. Will post the results.

@Lars  haha.. yes, some people have problem because of the contract.  But usually, they still need to release the line and charge you penalty after, or they should at least call /email you about that

So, waiting for your good news  🙂

Lars

I must confess that PM's $25 plan enticed me to try the porting process again. 🤔  This time I decided to approach the issue from the other end. I arranged, a call back from DCI CS via their web site. 

In a nutshell: I learned that my DCI number was listed as not portable because it was 'locked' to DCI a service - whatever  that means technically. DCI will release it and in 2-3 days I should get an email confirming that the number was released and can be ported and the the magic 'Account Number' which is needed to do the port - and I did not have.

Once I get this info I will hopefully be able to change my temp PM number to my old (DCI) one and get things sorted out using PM CS. I will keep you all posted.

[Indeed, though rate, sometimes a contract locks a portable number ............. Luddite]

Lars

Thanks fro your note.

I got in touch with CS. He will help with the transfer.

Lars

Their number I try to port is on my cell. DCI Telecom offers a range of services, including wireless (mobile) at pretty good prices. In my case Public Mobile offers a package/price something they don't.  Depending on your service pick they use FIDO/Rogers or TELUS networks.

@Lars   "Please enter a valid Canadian phone number."  usually means 2 things

1. You have a Koodo prepaid account and it needs PM support manual help for porting

2. your number already submitted for porting and cannot request porting again

And in your case, like 2 for mutliple attempts.  Please message PM support and have them to confirm porting eligiblity as well as clear the current porting request which is stuck

again, you can message them here:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on the top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply to you there

Lars

FYI the message I got on the third try is:

"Please enter a valid Canadian phone number."  - funny or what?

I am persistent - just now I tried it again and now the system takes the number as OK. It may bum out later in the registration process I guess.

Lars

This is a great idea. Unless somehow the port can be resolved I may do that. Tomorrow I must have my existing number.

@Lars   do you mind to give me the area code and the next 3 digits?  would like to confirm portability from another source

Lars

Checked the number in the link you gave me it comes back as not portable to KOODO. That is now!

But

1. I was successful to go through the activation steps trice and there was no problem until the phone number verification.It was where registration system stalled. And again gave me no indication why.

2. The last time the install process stopped at the info gathering stage when I entered the  number - did not like it. Well before actual registration process started.

3. As for failing port to KOODO - it may have many reasons but not necessarily port to any service other than KOODO. It is also maybe possible that the number was being processed by Public Mobile? Not sure.

I use Firefox on all my devices - not Safari. What would Incognito mode do with this process?

The bottom line is that you may well be right and a number may not be portable. But in 2023 I would accept the the install process would flag this as an issue.

HI @BKNS27 

DCI is a Telus reseller in Quebec, they have Mobile, Home Phone, Business and Data

HI @Lars   Since DCI s a Telus reseller, your number will be able to port into PM for sure

You said you tried multiple times? But did you get to the credit card stage yet?

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Lars 

Is DCI telecom a landline?

Because it will take longer to port over if it is.

@Lars wrote:

The answer to your first question is YES.

Because process got stuck - for hours! - last night I tried it again and again today. The last time the application got stuck at the number I want to port, saying invalid number. 

@Lars  the earlier porting request got stuck

First, do not attempt activation further.  Check your credit card, PM could have charged you multiple times as you attempted more than once.  If not, good.  If they charged you more than once, you will need to work with them to get the charges reversed

Check the credit card first, and open ticket with PM and ask them for the refund (if needed) and assist with the activation and port request

Private message CS Agent at: 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on the top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply to you there

Lars

The answer to your first question is YES.

Because process got stuck - for hours! - last night I tried it again and again today. The last time the application got stuck at the number I want to port, saying invalid number. 

@Lars   if you checked and confirmed the number is eligible to port in using the link I provided above, then what you can do is to activate the new with a new number first, with a temporary new number. 

Once activation all done and incoming/outgoing calls working, open a ticket with PM support and ask them to help to port in the number manually 

Lars

I followed all steps. Tried several times. The funny thing is that the DCT Tel SIM has TELUS on it printed.Go figure.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Lars - yes, not a good beginning. Glad you figured out how to message customer support. Hopefully this is the tough part, and the rest is smooth sailing from here on out.

FYI -

• Cell ports can take 2-3 hours. Use the previous provider's SIM card to receive the porting transfer text for approval to port over to Public Mobile and to receive calls from until port is complete.
  • Landline/voip ports can take 3+ days. Expect a mix of services on the landline and Public Mobile SIM card until port is complete.

When the incoming calls stop on the previous provider’s SIM card and/or landline/voip account, that is a good indication the port is complete.

See helpful info. here: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/port-fraud-protection

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Lars Just want to confirm, you are activating a new line here https://activate.publicmobile.ca/ and request bringing in your number?

Before you continue, check if the number can be ported.  While most number can be ported, not all can.  Please confirm:

https://secure.koodomobile.com/checktransfereligibilityparrot/default.do

If it shows that it can be ported, please try accessing the activation portal again using Incognito mode or Private mode in Safari and see how it goes

Need Help? Let's chat.