cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM/eSIM in iPhone 13 mini while traveling in Europe

public_mobile_1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi everyone, I have a iPhone 13 mini with Public Mobile and will be traveling in Europe (Spain/Portugal). I need 1) mobile data; and 2) ongoing ability to answer phone calls to my Public Mobile Canadian number while away.

I'm wondering what my options are here. Can I purchase a SIM/eSIM to add to my phone and then forward my Canadian number to the new SIM number for while I'm away? If so - any suggestions for specific SIM cards? Any other suggestions/options? Thanks very much for your help.

15 REPLIES 15

@kkawa wrote:

Hey, 

Just did this in europe. 

Got an eSim from a European provider. Kept physical public mobile SIM in. 

Call forwarding might work. I just changed my voicemail. You can direct them to your Whats App. - Easy backup if the call forwarding doesnt work. 

No issues with having the physical SIM in and a different eSIM provider, looks like you can have like ten providers.

I Highly highly recommend. I was so much easier that finding and buying local cards - and worrying about losing this one. 

They even have providers where you buy in advance and it turns on and starts the plan when you land in Europe- SOOOO simple and easy.

Public Mobile's number can't be forwarded to a non-Canadian number.

kkawa

Hey, 

Just did this in europe. 

Got an eSim from a European provider. Kept physical public mobile SIM in. 

Call forwarding might work. I just changed my voicemail. You can direct them to your Whats App. - Easy backup if the call forwarding doesnt work. 

No issues with having the physical SIM in and a different eSIM provider, looks like you can have like ten providers.

I Highly highly recommend. I was so much easier that finding and buying local cards - and worrying about losing this one. 

They even have providers where you buy in advance and it turns on and starts the plan when you land in Europe- SOOOO simple and easy.

@public_mobile_1 the eSIM should work in other carriers even with the PM sim card there.  Taking the sum card out would help without more configuration.   If tiu have a physical sim card in, and using eSIM at the same time , you would need to go to SIM card management screen and select the default sim to use for voice,text and data.  So, could be easier just to remove the PM sim when you are traveling 

public_mobile_1

I see, but if I remove the PM physical SIM card from my unlocked phone, shouldn't it be able to work with a different eSIM for traveling?

@public_mobile_1 PM does not support eSim at all at this point 

public_mobile_1

Does PM allow eSIM if my PM SIM card has been removed?

@public_mobile_1 yes, some European carriers do support eSim , so, you can use that too

If you want to forward text with app, yes, the phone needs to be on all time in Canada 

If just voice forwarding,  then no, you cam leave it power off after you set forwarding 

public_mobile_1

Thank you, this looks like it could work! I do have a second phone I could use.

Can I use a new eSIM in the phone I will be taking with me to Europe to use data and local calling there?

Also I do not need to receive texts, just forwarded phone calls - does the phone staying in Canada still need to be turned on for that?

Meow
Mayor / Maire

PM does not provide service in Europe.

There is a complicated process to receive calls/SMS outside of this continent. Good luck with it.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@public_mobile_1  

Just a suggestion.  If you are concerning with 2FA text, it is in fact better to change it to use Authenticator app instead if the choice is there.  In this case, it has no dependency of your phone number and you can login to those sites without the PM text service

Some services might not have the Authenticator app as a choice but you can change to email to receive the code.  It is not a good option, but it could be a temporary solution if you are on trip

Timer....simple / brilliant idea !!

@hTideGnow- "babysits the setup"? I'll admit that text forwarding is trickier. Call forwarding is simple. And if you use a timer plug then you can let the phone use the battery for some time and then the timer activates and the phone charges up and then the timer turns off again letting the phone battery be used. Rather than just leaving the phone charging the whole time.

Adding - call forwarding doesn't need the phone on either. But text forwarding does.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI@public_mobile_1 

Sorry, PM does not have service outside of  Canada and US

Get a Europe local prepaid data  sim card.  Use VoIP for calling.  You can even forward your PM calls to the VoIP app. But text cannot be forward (unless you spend sometimes for workarounds and have the phone connect to a charger and someone to babysits the setup)

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

How to receive calls and texts outside of Canada or US:
1. Have two phones
2. Download/install/setup voip app onto phone that you will take out of country and get a Canadian phone number
3. Download/install/setup sms forwarder app onto phone that will stay home
4. Keep sim in phone that will stay home
5. Forward calls from phone that will stay to voip app number using standard dialer
6. Forward texts from phone that will stay to voip app number using sms forwarder app
7. Use a plug timer and plug the charger wart in it and plug in phone and let it use battery for some time and then the timer can charge the phone.
8. Leave North America.
9. Using wifi anywhere or local data cell service, use voip app to send and receive texts and calls.

Replying to those calls and texts will look like your voip number, not your home number. Perhaps some voip apps can "fake" a number.

Outdoorsman
Mayor / Maire

@public_mobile_1 Hi public mobile will not work outside of Canada except for US with an add-on you cannot transfer your number or your account will be closed in other words you will have to get a local Sim or eSIM while you are  in Europe

Need Help? Let's chat.