cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM card

denisegrams
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am traveling to the USA next week and haven't been there before as a Public Mobile user. What is the best way to purchase a plan for a two week vacation where we will be using minimal data or phoning? Any recommendations?

15 REPLIES 15

@darlicious 

Thanks for the Mint Mobile minimum plan requirement.

I use TextNow SIM while I am down in Bellingham and Seattle.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@denisegrams 

If your US Roaming needs are mainly texting and you will have access to wifi then maybe for simplicity using a 10 day US data roaming data add on may suffice. Download textnow and choose a Canadian phone #. It will work for free on wifi and mobile data (T-Mobile's 4G LTE network) when needed. It will give you the ability to text (SMS/MMS) and call. You will still be able to recieve incoming pm text messages you will just need to reply using textnow.

You can delay adding the US Roaming data add on until you really need it just preload some extra funds onto your account balance so you can easily add it via the 611/IVR system by calling 1 855 4PUBLIC and entering your 10 digit phone #. (You will need to know your 4 digit account pin #.) Do this just in case you cannot access your self serve account via wifi.

If you prefer to have the US Roaming data add on immediately add it upon departure or arrival in the US as the "clock" starts at purchase. Note the time as it will expire 240 hours after purchase. Alternatively you can redeem points for discounted US Roaming add ons**. For example the US Roaming data add ons are redeemed at (1pt=$1): 15pts/1gb vs $20/1gb, 10pts/500mb vs $15/500mb and 5pts/250mb vs $10/250mb.

**While there is a disclaimer that point redemptions may take up to 24 hours to be added to your account I suspect that is not the norm. Perhaps @musicollector or another member can confirm the time it takes for a points redemption for US Roaming add ons to occur.

For a US Sim card/plan tello offers cheap basic domestic plans ranging in price from US$3 to US$29. (Unlimited texts/calls+1gb=US$10) tello may also have referrals? While Mint mobile is a great option I think @CountyDownIeUk  and @BKNS27 have forgotten that the minimum plan they offer is 90 days.

You may want to read this post for more info on US Roaming and T-Mobile's network coverage whereas pm seems to have dropped At&T as a Roaming partner?!! But there has been no official word from pm on the recent reports from pm customers of their inability to connect to AT&T.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/US-Roaming-Add-ons-Decommissioning-of-US-...

Happy travels and Stay--Safe!

pmbc
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

If your phone supports esim, check sites like these to get relatively cheap esim for data while you're away.

United States eSIM, from $4.5 | World’s first eSIM store · Airalo

KnowRoaming eSIM – knowroaming

KR even allows you to check if your device is compatible with esim.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

So get the texting add-on and be sure to connect only to T-Mobile. You can use wifi for any interneting and voip for talk on that wifi.

Not everyone has an IPhone to call from nor does every call recipient  have one. 

@denisegrams 

Recommend clicking little down arrow in the upper right of your post which you labeled as the "solution" to this thread.

Then unmark it as the solution. (it's frowned upon around here to grant oneself a solution unless one truly found it themselves with no support ...)

Look over the first few responses from OTHER users (not me) and select the response which you felt best responded to your initial inquiry.

You have a lot to choose from:

@JK8  @hTideGnow @Yummy @BKNS27 @Quigley @mimmo @CountyDownIeUk @Tsawwassen 

denisegrams
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Another thing to add is because if the 3g shutdown in USA the USA Romain has been hit or miss for some pm clients buying the roaming packages.  

Another option could be the T-Mobile 90 network pass if you have esim cababilites on your phone. Big theard in rfd

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

There is no USA plan.

One of solution is to buy US add-on but be aware of:

According to Public Mobile:

PM will have T-mobile 2G network for US roaming.

Voice and SMS text will still work.

Data will work on LTE, but will switch over to 2G to make a call.

However, the quality of service will vary depending on the different coverage areas when roaming in the USA.

Another option is to install voip app - free number and free calls Can/USA but you need WiFi.

Or to get local SIM.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@denisegrams 

The cheapest is WhatsApp and TextNow on wifi…free.

The next option is to purchase a local SIM from Mint or Tello.

For me, I got a TextNow SIM for $0.99 and free calling and text connected to T-Mobile network but you need a US address & US CC.

Tsawwassen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Unless you will be camping in NO-WIFI areas I would just use iMessage and WIFI data.

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Look at a mint mobile SIM card. 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @denisegrams PM roaming plans are all 10 days in length.  You are going for 14 days, and if you dont really need to send text and receive calls on your current PM number, it is BEST to buy US prepaid local data.  Easier to use and cheaper

Yes, you might sitll need to call and text, then use VoIP app like TextNow or Fongo.  The difference is that you need to call and text on a different phone number using the app. 

Quigley
Mayor / Maire

@denisegrams 

Either buy a USA add on package from Public Mobile or get a cheap local sim card and plan.from USA carrier.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@denisegrams 

You will need to purchase a US add on available in self service.

Need Help? Let's chat.