cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM Card hacked

FishKing
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My phone is hacked. Message said that another SIM card is using my phone number and my husband's number.  What should I do?  Can I transfer my account credits, etc if I get a new SIM card?

8 REPLIES 8

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@FishKing - try not to panic yet. Are you using a 'new to you phone' by any chance? You are saying this is happening on two phones, odd.

If the 4-digits DO NOT match on the actual SIM card as showing in the My Accounts, then it appears someone has been fraudulent (SIM-jacked) on your account. 

Change passwords and security questions to your SELF SERVE account right away, and check your financials. 

1. Log into your Self-Serve account
  2. Go to Plan and Add-Ons > Lost/Stolen Phone
  3. Select Suspend Service

1-Let the Customer Support Agents (CSA) know about this as well, submit a ticket here – to be connected to the Fraud Management Customer Support Agent (CSA) team who will be able to restore your original SIM card. 

2-Also recommended to contact your financial institutions to ensure your banking and credit card accounts have not been accessed and checking your social media accounts for any suspicious activity. Make sure you change your passwords to these accounts immediately. 

3-You may also want to report the fraud to your local police and the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre at 1-888-495-8501, as well as contact the two national credit bureaus to request a copy of your credit reports and place a fraud warning on your file (Equifax Canada Toll free:1-800-465-7166 and TransUnion Canada Toll free: 1-877-525-3823).

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@FishKing 

Log into your self serve account and compare the last 4 digits of the Sim cards in your phone's to the ones showing in your account's profile page. If they match you have nothing to worry about. You have working service on your phones?

Meow
Mayor / Maire

What message? Where did you get it? SMS? Email?

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@FishKing 

How do you know the SIM was hacked?

There are a lot of scammers trying to get you to click on their link.

One way to find out is to call your number and your husband’s number to see if your phones will ring.

If it does, it is a scam. 
If it doesn’t and some else answers. Login to your account and click on Stolen/Lost SIM then purchase a new SIM and replace the SIM number on your account.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@FishKing But do you have the service now?  you can make calls and data works?

the text could be just spoofing like Caller ID spoofing.  Scammers have ways to send text with "fake" numbers that they don't have 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Is this an iphone? Is it possible someone else has registered your phone number to AppleID? I don't know. Apple experts around could fill this thought out.

What happens when you call out? Call in?

Changing sim's keeps everything about your account. But I'm not yet convinced this is a serious problem.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@FishKing get support 

Getting support / submit ticket

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to our Agents. Click here                 

Or while your already here and logged in the community

• you can send a private message to our  CS_Agents by clicking here.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Hi @FishKing try to login to My Account and see if you can 

When you are in , click Lost/Stolen to suspend the service

if you cannot login, message PM agent immediately

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.