cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resetting Apple Live Voicemail Greeting

fspilot
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am unhappy with my personalized custom Apple iOS Live Voicemail greeting and would like to reset back to the default standard Apple greeting. I tried to select the default but the save selection on the top right corner is grayed out and I’m unable to save it. The greeting that I recorded can be heard when I call but can’t be heard on the phone in the greeting menu. Do I have to do a full reset of the voicemail service through support to delete the greeting and use the default?

Thanks.

15 REPLIES 15

JBonnie

Thankyou that was helpful. I've been having the same problem.

fspilot

Been in touch with support. Installed a new free eSIM and reset voicemail with no luck. Will try resetting my device another time. Was wondering if this affects only eSIM users or SIM as well. I’ll check with Apple as well.

I’m going to turn Live Voicemail off for now. Not a dealbreaker.

Thanks everyone for your insight and help.

golfball
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I think you may be on to something. I'm seeing this bug after using dual SIMs where the other one had VVM.

dwh1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@fspilot There's one other thing I can offer, though I don't know how helpful it will actually be. When I first ported into PM from Koodo,. the Voicemail tab would still act as if still had Visual Voicemail despite PM not having it.  This was before IOS 17's Live Voicemail was introduced.  I created a support ticket and a Telus 2nd tier tech worked with me over several calls, including one with Apple support, and we determined that this was a bug in IOS - it doesn't react well when switching from a carrier with Visual Voicemail to one without Visual Voicemail.

There was no fix for the issue except to set up my phone from scratch without restoring from backup.

I've since ported out (tried out Freedom) and came back when PM introduced the current $34/50 US/Canada plan , and I think I have a similar problem as before, but having Live Voicemail on mostly masks it - except that I have the option to record a custom Live Voicemail greeting, which then doesn't save.

My theory is that isn't actually for recording a Live Voicemail greeting but a Visual Voicemail greeting, and the iOS bug is incorrectly allowing it to be visible.

I have no idea why you have a custom greeting that you can't get rid of - I have the default and can't change it despite the phone offering me the option to change it - but I suspect it may be related to the same bug.  If so, you could try ensuring you have a good backup and then resetting your phone and seeing if that fixes the problem. If it doesn't, you could restore your backup and be back where you are now.  If it does fix the problem, then you could decide whether setting the phone up from scratch is worth the trouble or whether it's better to restore your backup and live with the issue until (and if) Apple fixes the bug. 

So yeah - I strongly suspect your issue is related to mine, but I don't know how helpful that knowledge will actually be.

golfball

I just tested it out and I'm seeing the same problem. I do believe it's partly a Public Mobile issue as previously the ability to set a custom greeting was completely disabled on this software version. I'm not sure whether it's Apple or PM that can resolve this.

Edit: Apple would have to fix this.

fspilot

The latest iOS 17.3.1

golfball

What version of iOS is on your phone?

@fspilot  Something may have changed because fairly recently it was the case that only Telus customers who subscribe to Visual Voicemail could change the Siri greeting and PM doesn't have Visual Voicemail.  It still seems most like an Apple issue but if you want to ask Public Mobile customer service then submit a ticket using the chat message icon bottom right.

fspilot

@Phil_Adelphus  When the Live Voicemail is turned on the greeting I set on Live Voicemail plays. When I turn off Live Voicemail the standard PM Voicemail greeting plays.

OK. Then sadly it's nothing that Public Mobile can help with. I think it has something to do with the latest iOS update. I'd suggest you hit up the Apple Support Community to sort this out.

golfball

You can't set a custom greeting through Apple as far as I know. Press and hold 1 on the dialler in the phone app to access your Public Mobile voicemail and try changing your greeting from there.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Well, this has nothing to do with PM support. It is apple thing so you should research on apple forums and blogs.

Some customers might have experience with apple stuff so they might provide some insights but ...

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@fspilot   I didn't think you could change the Apple Live Voicemail greeting from the default.  Are you sure you didn't change the PM voicemail greeting instead?   If there's a problem with the Apple Live Voicemail it would be Apple support you need rather than Public Mobile I'd have thought.

fspilot

Morning @Chalupa_Batman @Phil_Adelphus 

What I see on my phone is the default outgoing greeting is selected, not the custom one. With that set my custom outgoing greeting is still playing. I am unable to select and save default again. Turning off and then turning on Live Voicemail in the settings won’t work.

Need Help? Let's chat.