cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: US plan

RINDAL
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I bought the $ 50 Plan unlimited CAN/US minutes and 10 gb of data.  There is nothing under that plan that states this is ONLY for Canada on Telus lines. Most cellular providers have a monthly US plan. I thought I was buying that for Arizona since we Winter down here.  Crossed the border and had nothing.  I think your plans need better descriptions so new customers know what they are signing up for.  Your 10 day plans become $ 60 for a month which is expensive.  I just wasted $ 50 on this plan so I don't plan on buying anything now.  I think credits should be given to keep your customers loyal to you.  Very disappointed in how Public Mobile / Telus presents their plans

19 REPLIES 19

@RINDAL wrote:

So far I haven't been able to find a phone number for PM anywhere on the internet.  I think I will call Telus customer service next since they are the parent company.  Thanks for the above info.

I take it back… you DID do your research on How Public Mobile works before signing up!

AE_Collector

@RINDAL 

Well you can have a nice chat with a telus customer service agent after talking to the automated voice lady....I usually end up shouting at her a few times until she says "Ok let me get you an agent." Then you can listen to the telus theme music for about 45 minutes that they interrupt every two minutes to tell you that they are experiencing higher than normal call volumes and you can get most of your questions answered quicker online with their live chat. But you do usually get a real live human within an hour. They do a pretty decent job of resolving my tv, internet and formerly my mobility issues but they can't do diddley squat for any public mobile issue I might have....for that I send a private message to the pm customer support team.

Spoiler

Send a private message...   Contact the CSA's (formerly moderators) by sending a private message and leave a detailed message explaining your issue and the info to verify your account by including the following information:  

1. Full name and address on pm account. ( Or province and postal code for newer accounts.)
  2. Email, phone # and pin #.

If  you cannot remember your pin # include at least three ( if they apply)of the following:

1.  Date of birth (n/a on newer accounts.)
  2. Last payment, date, amount, type and last 4 digits.
  3. Alternate phone number if any.
  4. Security question and answer.
  5. Plan amount, any add ons or promos on account.
  6. Last 4 digits of sim card.
  7. Any rewards in your account.
  8. Autopay y/n?
  9. Account #.
  10. Frequently called/texted phone numbers in the last 30 days.  

The average wait time is 2 to 4 hours but be prepared to wait up to 48 hours for non urgent requests. Current wait times are about one hour and are probably even less as I have had some very quick responses in tne past week.

Keep an eye on your private message box the envelope icon next to your avatar for a little number to pop indicating a message from the CSA's (formerly moderators.) Responding promptly will speed up service times.

Do not post any of this info in the community only in your private messages when communicating or contacting the CSA/Moderator_Team.

To send a private message to the CSA's (formerly moderators) click below
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

@RINDAL wrote:

So far I haven't been able to find a phone number for PM anywhere on the internet.  I think I will call Telus customer service next since they are the parent company.  Thanks for the above info.

@RINDAL  there is no phone number for Public Mobile.

All support is online.

Either here, on the Community, or for account related issues through Customer Support Agents, methods founds here: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/contact-an-agent

@RINDAL   PM Support is all online. You can try to open ticket with them instead. 

Telus , while it is the parent company, only offers the infrastructure to PM and leave PM handle the customer support on its own

RINDAL

@RINDAL 

I suggest you mention your point to the CSA when you chat with them. That until it was pointed out to you by the kind community members you missed it when you skimmed thru the small print. Unlike most customer service when you have to muster up for the fight when you call them the CSA 's here are very understanding and accommodating.

They want to make you a happy customer and they want a good review when you ask for the review link at the end of your conversation. Approach them politely and with niceties and you may be surprised at their response. Even if you are not satisfied with their response ask for a second opinion. 

Get a senior colleague to intervene if you get a new CSA or close your ticket and open a new one. There is no point in presenting your argument to us we can't change anything in your account but running it by us so we can offer advice does help you get your facts straight when you do finally open your support ticket request. Best of luck!

.. and you get similar terms in the Change Plan page

https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/Overview/plan-and-Add-ons/ChangePlanLandingPage/?PageRedirect=Redi...

Talk, text, and data services refer to services offered while connected to the TELUS/Public Mobile network in your local calling area (Province-wide or Canada-wide) (ex. Calls must originate from Canada). For service when not connected to your local calling area (ex. You are outside of Canada), a roaming package must be purchased.

softech_0-1641250469871.png

@RINDAL 

Not hard to find, right at the plan page.  Always read carefully before you buy

here is the link and I highlighted it for you.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans#plans-start

softech_0-1641250303055.png

RINDAL

I took a look at your add on page and there is no detailed information on what you are getting for the US add ons.  

I also rechecked the $ 50 plan and under details there is no line 6 saying that is is for CANADA only that you messaged back to me.  I am not sure where Public Mobile is hiding that fine line info but it should be in full view under the details tab when you look at a plan.

@HALIMACS   in this case, the person go and buy some drugs, didn't read it the "fine print" and just bought it .. could have be in the hospital by now and no time to be "disappointed" with the pharmacy  🙂

@Yummy 

If people were to read the small print on lots of things, including pharmaceutical drugs, some may never take those either.  Some people make a conscious decision not to read the small print in some circumstances.  

I personally do not feel Public Mobile  misrepresents their coverage. 

Some people simply look for it, and others don't.

@softech wrote:

When they missed the fine prints, it must be the Provider's fault.  Customers are always right  🙂

Well, yes and no. Small print can be written in weird language and most of the time you need clarification. And how to get it when there is no live support at PM?

If you would to read banking small print most likely you would never open an account there...

@Yummy wrote:

Eh. Not many clients read all small prints.

When they missed the fine prints, it must be the Provider's fault.  Customers are always right  🙂

Eh. Not many clients read all small prints. PM being Canadian company offers their services in Canada only. PM does have roaming US but it is most likely aimed for cross-border jumpers and not for longer use as it will become expensive.

If $50 plan is not what you were thinking it is, while in US consider downgrading your plan to cheapest one ($15 - do schedule plan change, do not do immediately plan change) and consider getting local SIM as it will be most likely cheaper.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@RINDAL wrote:

I bought the $ 50 Plan unlimited CAN/US minutes and 10 gb of data.  There is nothing under that plan that states this is ONLY for Canada on Telus lines

It's right here @RINDAL .    Please review point#6 in it's entirety:

HALIMACS_0-1641218183391.png

@RINDAL 

Well that's unfortunate. At this point you have a couple of options starting with customer support. Explain to the CSA that you made an honest mistake when choosing your new plan. Ask kindly if they will prorate a credit back to your account and perform an immediate plan change to the $15 plan and add one of the US 10 day roaming bundles which if they agree should be fair exchange for the time since your $50 plan started and now and will start a new 30 day plan with the first 10 days of it covered with roaming in the US.

You can take those 10 days to explore US providers like mint mobile (90 day plans starting at $15/4gb per 30 days with unlimited texts/calls in the US and to Canada and Mexico) and decide if you want to continue purchasing pm's 10 day US roaming add ons or use a US provider with the ability to still recieve incoming pm text messages and check your pm voicemail and/or change your greeting to include your new US number or use the extended absence option.

Keep in mind most providers that offer a "Roam like Home" option charge $9 to $10 per day to use your existing plan's features capped at $120 per month + your plan cost. With tax this can reach upwards of $200 per month to roam in the US. By comparison paying $15+$60(3×$20)=$75 to use pm's service and US roaming add ons is still quite reasonable.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@RINDAL wrote:

I bought the $ 50 Plan unlimited CAN/US minutes and 10 gb of data.  There is nothing under that plan that states this is ONLY for Canada on Telus lines. Most cellular providers have a monthly US plan. 

Most providers have but not all I guess?

It was said in the Team & conditions clearly on https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans#plans-start

(also as @Nezgar  quoted) 

If you are in US a lot , consider getting local US plans there in US, it is cheaper and more data than any Canadian providers can offer you.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@RINDAL Sorry to hear you missed that detail of the plan. Indeed these plans only cover usage when you are in Canada. For all current plans, your only option is a 10-day US roaming add-on. You can still add this to your existing plan to get service immediately. You can try your luck opening a ticket with the CS agents to see if they might be able to rebate/change your plan to a lower one in light of the error in plan selection.

Here is the details that show when you click that plan from the home page:

"6 - Talk, text and data services refer to services offered while connected to the Telus/Public Mobile network. For service when not connected to the Telus/Public Mobile network, a roaming package must be purchased. Calls must originate from Canada to the US."

@RINDAL wrote:

I bought the $ 50 Plan unlimited CAN/US minutes and 10 gb of data.  There is nothing under that plan that states this is ONLY for Canada on Telus lines. Most cellular providers have a monthly US plan. I thought I was buying that for Arizona since we Winter down here.  Crossed the border and had nothing.  I think your plans need better descriptions so new customers know what they are signing up for.  Your 10 day plans become $ 60 for a month which is expensive.  I just wasted $ 50 on this plan so I don't plan on buying anything now.  I think credits should be given to keep your customers loyal to you.  Very disappointed in how Public Mobile / Telus presents their plans

As you already know, calling to the U.S. is included while you're Canada.  Your were trying to use a service called roaming.  No carier anywhere includes roaming unless they specifically mention it.  Roaming add-ons are available for purchase.

Need Help? Let's chat.