cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile Unlimited Data?

W1N570N
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Does public mobile now have unlimited data (512 kbps) after you use up all your data?

I was looking for a new plan and stumbled into the fine print section where it said this "

1. Data speeds reduced to a maximum of 512Kbps after your included high-speed data bucket is exhausted. Speed may vary with your device, Internet traffic, environmental conditions, applicable network management policies and other factors. Please refer to Public Mobile’s Network Traffic Management Policies here for further information." 

Is this true?

(The link is here: https://assets.ctfassets.net/xe7doznj0dju/3hR2yEQXlSKE8dXGNEKQZa/ef14c6048939c388603c81a1faa80440/Pu...)

56 REPLIES 56

Patchio
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@GR 

Thanks for posting the screenshot with the fine print listing the price of an eSIM ($5).

Good old Telus, they never squander an opportunity to squeeze some money out of customers, even when some of Public Mobile's direct competitors offer eSIM's for free. At least PM isn't charging $10 for an eSIM.

It wouldn't even surprise me if PM decides to exclude unlimited data from the $15 and lower plans, simply because that's what their direct competitors currently do. Oh well. 

¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

@Nezgar wrote:

@computergeek541So I logged into my self-serve/My-Account portal, and over in "Change Plan" I see similar wording showing up in "The Fine Print":

2. Data speeds reduced to a maximum of 512Kbps after your included high-speed data bucket is exhausted. Speed may vary with your device, Internet traffic, environmental conditions, applicable network management policies and other factors. Please refer to Public Mobile’s Network Traffic Management Policies here for further information.

@Nezgar , I saw that to! We will see. I’m trying not to get excited about any of this yet. 🙂

@softech wrote:

@computergeek541 lol.. I saw that too.. but I am taking a different direction..another copy and paste error.. lol

@softech , well we certainly know that happens here at PM! 🤣 PM is known for errors! For instance… I will not forget the so called $15 Unlimited Canada Wide Minutes Plan that was posted with that wording incorrectly for a few weeks! 🤣

I’m not gonna get excited about anything yet! 😁

GR
Mayor / Maire

Screenshot_20230521_055840_Samsung Internet.jpg

here's one more thing I noticed it "that fine print"   the price of an esim card. 

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

leaks sure are fun though, At least we have some idea of what's to come.

Thinking about all of this, it seems to all line up with that upcoming maintenance with all the sections of the site that will be down, and them subtlely rolling out the smaller stuff first, sure it ruins the surprise and all but it makes it easier to just flip the switch so to speak since this has all been in development for the last 3 months it seems.

@computergeek541 wrote:
Self Serve also makes reference to 90-day plans.  Did it before?

Yes. At least since I joined in 2016, when the Build Your Plan Calculator allowed 90-day plans.

I don't know if 90-day plans are just baggage that has to be referenced because some people still have them ... or if this legacy wording is just another oversight, miscommunication, blunder.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

It seems to me that Telus/etc has all sorts of high tech AI/learning coders and networking/communications engineers but they forgot to hire just one extra person to do basic website maintenance. Keep all the product pages properly updated, keep all the private data off the public servers, stuff like that.

@Nezgar that likely the launch date of the new app, I think. 

Look like My Account and My Rewards are back to one  (at least this is how the app works)

interesting that it is going back to 90 days plan.  I guess it is a way to tiie down customers then (3 months contract)

But sadly, the leak confirms no more 10Mbps Luke Lucky or Chatr as everyone hoping for

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

I wonder if there is any relation to the upcoming Scheduled System Maintenance| May 23-24... 🤔

@softech wrote:

@computergeek541 but the app talks about 90 days plan.. which seems like an old reference.. coop program copy stuff to dummy app from anywhere 

hard to imagine PM going all in now with 5G plan as well.. given 4G just landed here this year 

Self Serve also makes reference to 90-day plans.  Did it before?

@computergeek541 but the app talks about 90 days plan.. which seems like an old reference.. coop program copy stuff to dummy app from anywhere 

hard to imagine PM going all in now with 5G plan as well.. given 4G just landed here this year 

@softech wrote:

@computergeek541 lol.. I saw that too.. but I am taking a different direction..another copy and paste error.. lol

but then how do you explain the 5G reference in the app?

hey.. dont be happy too soon. Any chance the disclaimer on Slef-seve is just a copy from Koodo or Telus and does not mean anything here?  I found this talked about 5G plan, and we don't have it here.. unless it is another new thing coming

• Subscription plans with 3G speed may reach download speeds of up to 3 Mbps, subscription plans with 4G speed may reach download speeds of up to 100 Mbps and subscription plans with 5G speed may reach download speeds of up to 250 Mbps. 

Self Serve also mentions that 5G plans will have a maximum download speed of 250Mbps.  I'm curious as to the pricing for these new 5G plans.

@computergeek541 wrote:

I would imagine that there would be some type of announcement soon, now that all this is being openly discussed.

It bewilders me after all these years that still more often than not (mostly) Oracles are just as in the dark as everyone else about big changes when they come. Otherwise you would be replying much more coyly. 😁

@Korth wrote:

This is very interesting. Changes already implemented or coming down the pipeline?

But why wouldn't they make a big hyped marketing broohaha out of it? Public Mobile (and Telus and Koodo) is always eager to proudly brag about the slightest tiniest new feature all over all their plans, pages, announcements.

I would imagine that there would be some type of announcement soon, now that all this is being openly discussed.

cool.. so look like some exciting changes coming.

earlier today someone found the apps now unlimited data.  

And 512 is the best out of Tier 3

@computergeek541  and eSim coming ??

Korth
Mayor / Maire

This is very interesting. Changes already implemented or coming down the pipeline?

But why wouldn't they make a big hyped marketing broohaha out of it? Public Mobile (and Telus and Koodo) is always eager to proudly brag about the slightest tiniest new feature all over all their plans, pages, announcements.

@Nezgar wrote:

@computergeek541So I logged into my self-serve/My-Account portal, and over in "Change Plan" I see similar wording showing up in "The Fine Print":

2. Data speeds reduced to a maximum of 512Kbps after your included high-speed data bucket is exhausted. Speed may vary with your device, Internet traffic, environmental conditions, applicable network management policies and other factors. Please refer to Public Mobile’s Network Traffic Management Policies here for further information.

Confirmed:  Self Serve mentions unlimited data.

@computergeek541 wrote:

In addition to that, the logo is the same as in the app.

Wait, there's an app? Well let me crawl out from under this log, indeed I see one in Google Play. Well off I go to check that out, as well as if pigs are flying outside too!

Edit: App is in "Maintenance Mode" - does this app actually do anything yet?

...And the link on "here" is to the PDF mentioned in the OP. So it would seem that would confirm it is an official PDF.

Who knows if this "feature" is already in effect. I have too much bonus data I don't want to waste it on the accounts I have on hand to test and find out myself.. 🙂

It appears many of the other images and stuff of the main publicmobile.ca website load from the external web site as well, ie the ice cream man from the home page:

https://images.ctfassets.net/g0l02radjx86/7r3yT5cEis4GZv4yHz0v8X/f12d317df24386c6bb3734922921f29e/Lo...

Looks like ctfassets is "Contentful Content Delivery Network" https://www.contentful.com/developers/docs/references/content-delivery-api/

@Nezgar wrote:

The metadata of that PDF suggests it was created Feb 23, 2023 (using Adobe InDesign 18.1 Macintosh)... You can see this by pressing Ctrl-D in Acrobat Reader... And check out that logo in the document ... Interesting if it's legit, and this is a hint of upcoming changes that have been brewing for 3 months already...

Public_WebPolicy_NetworkTrafficManagement_EN.jpg

I did wonder if this document could have been leftover from the old Public Mobile (before Telus), but 512Kbps seems much too high of a throttled data speed for a time period around 2010.  In addition to that, the logo is the same as in the app.

The metadata of that PDF suggests it was created Feb 23, 2023 (using Adobe InDesign 18.1 Macintosh)... You can see this by pressing Ctrl-D in Acrobat Reader... And check out that logo in the document ... Interesting if it's legit, and this is a hint of upcoming changes that have been brewing for 3 months already...

Public_WebPolicy_NetworkTrafficManagement_EN.jpg

@W1N570N wrote:

Does public mobile now have unlimited data (512 kbps) after you use up all your data?

I was looking for a new plan and stumbled into the fine print section where it said this "

1. Data speeds reduced to a maximum of 512Kbps after your included high-speed data bucket is exhausted. Speed may vary with your device, Internet traffic, environmental conditions, applicable network management policies and other factors. Please refer to Public Mobile’s Network Traffic Management Policies here for further information." 

Is this true?

(The link is here: https://assets.ctfassets.net/xe7doznj0dju/3hR2yEQXlSKE8dXGNEKQZa/ef14c6048939c388603c81a1faa80440/Pu...)

I'm going to contact Public Mobile about this. There have been a few threads this weekend referring to unannounced changes in policy, services, an apps, and pictures of a new logo.  I will say that that website is not an official Telus website and the aunthenticity of such document needs to be considered unveified.  I'll try to see if I can find out what is going on.  With some luck, some new information might be available during the new work week.

Need Help? Let's chat.