cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile Data extremely slow - cell tower maintenance?

jchow2630
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi all,

I've recently converted over to Public Mobile for about 6 months now. At first, 5G data here in Vancouver was great. It was fast, but at random times, there were spotty to no signals at all, and this was at a local community centre. 

Recently, as of yesterday, internet data was readily available in the morning up until 10am, then all of a sudden, the internet speed dropped to literally 0 mbps. Cell phone was showing 5G - Full bars - internet speed check was constant 0 - couldn't connect to a server. 

I asked my other colleagues who are also on public mobile, and they experienced the same thing. We restarted our phones, turned airplane mode on and off, changed frequency to LTE, yet to no avail. No internet, at least very very weak data. 

It went on like this until at least 9pm in the evening. Thinking this was maybe a one off situation, today, exact same thing happened.

Morning data no problem. Once noon hits, data drops dead no matter where we are. YVR airport, Richmond, Vancouver you name it. Calling and Text msgs go through without a hitch (thank god). 

Is there someone from Public Mobile Customer Service that could help out in this situation? or at least explain what could be happening? I'm on the $34 / 50gb CAN/US plan, and I never go over 40GB per month, so it's not a GB issue. 

Your reply is greatly appreciated. 

53 REPLIES 53

CSee

It's about 8pm in Vancouver BC. And my network has finally come back to life. Speed test connects and I'm getting back to normal speeds again. Can anybody, somebody, please chime in and explain what caused this disruption over the last 48 hours. Appreciate the love and support from everyone! ☺️ 

chappyshiba
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I'm happy it's not my phone. Hope they tighten the nuts on them 5G towers. 🤞

SpitfireMK1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Yup...back for me too....will have to keep an eye on this issue. At least we know there is a work around if this happens again.

bobit

I am as well. Fingers crossed it stays this time!

SpitfireMK1

Thanks hTideGnow...you've helped a lot of people through this stuff. Glad to see it may have been resolved.

yeah @chappyshiba !!!

and I hope it is stable this time

chappyshiba

I'm back on the 5G now. It's working at the moment !!! 

bobit

I am in the exact same boat. Very frustrating when you need the service for work. It’s in, it’s out, it’s in….. I notice it’s particularly bad trying to use safari, but apps like instagram seem to load ok. 

kdhope1

I’m out in the valley and I’ve been having a terrible time with my Public Mobile on my iPhone switch the physical SIM card to another device and it didn’t work either, I get no connection or slow connection most of the time so I figured it was the SIM card so I downloaded an eSIM and of course same **bleep** thing so here. I am checking on your guys’s posts and you’re all having the same issue.!;)

SpitfireMK1

Just tried WCDMA...seems to be working now. Many thanks to you. Hopefully they will rectify the issue soon

slusagm
Mayor / Maire

ok, I am the lucky one tonight and got hit with the same.  Using wifi now, glad free wifi everywhere 

SpitfireMK1

Have not do so yet. But thank you for the suggestion. I will try it later. Hopefully they get the issue resolved.

hi @SpitfireMK1 did you try changing network mode to 3G only or WCDMA only?

SpitfireMK1

Same problem here as well. Data crapped out earlier today in the South Surrey/White Rock area. As others have mentioned, Apps do not work on mobile data, but on Wi-Fi, no problem. I did receive a calls without any problems so far. Submitted a ticket. Hope they figure this out; very annoying. Thanks to all here in this post for the help. cheers

coolman1978

thanks.. have Samsung S24.. changed network to WCDMA/GSM (auto connect).. seems to work ok for now.. better than nothing..

chappyshiba

Thanks but the 3G option doesn't do anything for me. Guess will have to wait till they figure out what's going on.

hi @Pupik try changing your network mode to 3G only or WCDMA only  , it is a workaround for now 

hi @chappyshiba 3G only is called WCDMA only on Samsung

Pupik

I have absolutely the same problem, same symptoms. This morning it looked okay so I hoped the issue was resolved, however around noon everything started to slow down again and then it was unusable again. I hope this gets resolved quickly, it's getting pretty annoying.

chappyshiba

Didn't really see 3G listed on my Samsung S20FE phone. 

chappyshiba

I put in a ticket just now.

chappyshiba

Same here. 

hi @chappyshiba 

try changing network mode to 3G only, this is the workaround for now 

chappyshiba

I'm in New Westminster and I can't get a 5G signal today. Basically data isn't working. I tried many only fixes but none work. Is Telus having issues.  Never had this problem and have had PM for a year. 

shinchu99

@SirCazgo to your setting and switch over 3G network and use it for now until they reslove the issue on the 5G and 4G network.

SirCaz

I'm experiencing something similar.  I'm on the 5G plan and at times I get the exclamation mark on my LTE connection.

I've put a ticket through.  I'd recommend if anyone is experiencing LTE/Data issues to report a problem.  We don't even know if it's an outage or a maintenance issue.

shinchu99

@hTideGnow@jchow2630 im having issue right now in Vancouver on 4G network speed wont connect but some times get internet some times doesn't  but Once i switch over 3G network the internet is working for now.

@hTideGnow wrote:

Hi @NDesai 

i guess you tried 3G as well?

Ya 3G works fine at about 10 mbps. However, it won't work everywhere due to tower limitations. 

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Lots of people with the same issue and Telus is not showing any outage. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/telus/comments/1g1il8x/telus_mobile_not_receiving_internet_data/

Hi @NDesai 

i guess you tried 3G as well?

Need Help? Let's chat.