cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor voice quality on outgoing calls.

Chriss60
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just signed up a few days ago. Had TELUS before. Same phone, iphone7. Very poor sound quality on outgoing calls. So bad people can’t understand me. Serious problem when I can’t use my phone. 

8 REPLIES 8

Chriss60
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Did some troubleshooting. Tried calling using speakerphone and call was much better. Also took my case off and sound quality was much better. Put my case on my friends phone that was the same type. He now had the same problem I had. Obviously a problem with the case. Don’t know why this didn’t show up when I had TELUS. Concluded that public mobility network is not the problem. Thanks for the help.

Definitely. For VoLTE, there's EVS for sure, and I think also AMR-WB with higher codec rates compared to 3G voice.

It would only take effect if both parties are able to use the higher performing codecs.

@sheytoon wrote:

It's probably because you're used to VoLTE on Telus, and now you're on 3G voice.

It shouldn't be THAT bad, but still noticeable if you have a good ear.

This kind of reminds me of my few years as a Rogers customer. The 2g and 3g voice networks sounded completely different. 

I'm wondering if Telus is using a different codec for voice over 3g compared to LTE.  @sheytoon , do you know if that is the case?

It's probably because you're used to VoLTE on Telus, and now you're on 3G voice.

It shouldn't be THAT bad, but still noticeable if you have a good ear.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I would also try your sim in a different phone and a friends sim in your phone.  see if either of scenarios will replicate the issue.  

is it only for outgoing calls?

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@Chriss60 wrote:

Just signed up a few days ago. Had TELUS before. Same phone, iphone7. Very poor sound quality on outgoing calls. So bad people can’t understand me. Serious problem when I can’t use my phone. 

Telus has lte voice that Public doesn't.  3g voice will be the same on both.  There could be a temp network problem.  Is it bad sounding everywhere?

ZfromVanC
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Some things to check that will help figure out the issue:

How many bars of service do you have at the time of the phone calls?

Is the quality bad everywhere you go, or just at your home?

Have you tried using headphones, to rule out a speaker problem?

Depending on where you live, Western Canada has had some connection issues this week so it may be related to this.

Alex888
Mayor / Maire

@Chriss60Try turning off noise cancellation:

• Tap Settings
  • Select General
  • Choose Accessibility
  • At the bottom, you will find Phone Noise Cancellation 

Turn off Bluetooth, then restart your phone.

Need Help? Let's chat.