cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone has been blacklisted

BarinderJassal
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi there, suddenly after 3 years of usage I found out that my mobile is blocked now. I'm with Public Mobile for more than 2 years. Mod says they have not done blacklisting and they can not unblock it. Not sure what can be done. Any suggestion? Thanks

19 REPLIES 19

Mikebrads

Keep in mind publicmobile alters answers and anything you see could have been potentially changed to make things seem more positive 

@BarinderJassal  , true, your phone has been 2 or 3 years old already.. what kind of phone is that?

@BarinderJassal 

It is important to remember that it may not be the original owner of the phone that has blacklisted it but the "owner" of the account that the phone was originally acitivated with a sim card for service. As in a couple with the account in the husbands name but with the wife having a phone and plan under the same account. Technically the husband can blacklist the phone even if the wife bought the phone from a seperate retailer and has the reciepts and credit card charge to prove she bought it.

As mentioned a provider can blacklist a phone that has not had the device subsidy fully paid off. When the device lands in the hands of a third party like you they have even refused to allow payment of the debt owing in order to remove it from the blacklist and transfer full ownership to you. Success in this regard is very YMMV.

To find the original provider look for any account apps that may be emeddded in the phone or possibly the other APN for providers that appear alongside public mobiles. There may be provider logos near the IMEI, behind the battery if it is removable or in the settings under "About phone."

A phone can also be blacklisted by a device insurance company when a claim is made and paid out. If the claim is substantial enough they may do this to ensure that a repairable phone that costs more to fix but still works is not used when they are paying out a replacement cost. Or they will list it if its lost, stolen or they determine an insurance fraud has taken place. This could account for a long period of time passing between you purchasing the phone and it only now be blacklisted as the claim and all appeals may have taken this long to be settled. You could check with the main couple of provider device insurance companies that exist in Canada.

Otherwise for these claims do have to be reported to police if a device is lost/stolen so there is a possibility that if you filed a freedom of information request that you could find out who filed the police report for the device with your IMEI.

Saying all this your phone is at least 3 years old. While perfectly functional at that age maybe its best that in your mind that you consider your phone lost/stolen and buy a new device. You could still sell it to a buyer outside of Canada to recover some of its value.

Great points, @computergeek541 , and I tend to agree.

Though Canadian carriers can no longer "lock" a device to their network when a user wants to seek service elsewhere, they can STILL use the blacklist option to prevent a user from using the device under those shady conditions you speak of.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit that carriers find 'creative' ways to make switching difficult for customers and find ways to bend the rules.

@BarinderJassal , I figured that was the case on my initial reply to you.   If there were any way you could determine the carrier who locked the device, perhaps they may be willing to entertain you settling the debt (if worth your while vs trashing and purchasing new device).   

Are you still claiming the device was purchased 3 years ago and ONLY RECENTLY it stopped working?   That is most odd and seems there is a possibility the device was blacklisted in error - perhaps one digit off the intended device?    I might attempt to determine which carrier blocked the device and contact them.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@BarinderJassal 

It can be a mistake.

Do you have any ways of contacting the seller. If they still have the original receipt you may be able to do something. It's a long shot.

I don't know how you could find who blacklisted it

@will13am wrote:

@BarinderJassal wrote:

From kijiji in year ~ July 2018

@BarinderJassal , Kijiji sellers are not all trustworthy.  It could be that the person you purchased it from still owed money on the phone and decided to stop paying.  The carrier that sold the phone has blacklisted it for unpaid bills.  There is no other explanation for why a phone would suddenly enter the blacklist.  

I would argue that carriers are not supposed to do that. My understanding is that carriers are only supposed to block devices nationally because the device was reported lost or stolen by the owner or if it was stolen from the retail or warehouse supply chain.  

Where things get a little debatable is if the carrier is still owed money for the device itself. The carrier would argue that since the device tab has not been paid off, the user doesn't yet own the phone.  However, I'm willing to wager that carriers have blocked devices when the customer has already paid off the device balance but then defaulted on the regular monthly bill. 

In the past, some carriers have actually got in trouble in the sense that customers took them to CCTS.  I have read a few reported cases of Bell agreeing to replace the device (the device user wasn't even a Bell customer).  I also vaguely recall shortly after that Fido issued a statement that they do not block devices because of payment issues.

@BarinderJassal wrote:

I'm also frustrated by MOD's reply. As per them, I'm using this phone since 27th April (Just few days back!) with my number. I just don't believe what they are saying to me. Are they really maintaining any database. I'm using my number with Public mobile from around 2 years approx. Amazing stuff from PM.

Mod just the messenger.  they are just checking the national blacklist database and telling you what they see.   I think they would be able to tell you which provider put your IMEI as blacklist and when.  Since your phone is purchased via Kijiji, I don't think you can do much to clear it up.   😞  

@BarinderJassal wrote:

I'm also frustrated by MOD's reply. As per them, I'm using this phone since 27th April (Just few days back!) with my number. I just don't believe what they are saying to me. Are they really maintaining any database. I'm using my number with Public mobile from around 2 years approx. Amazing stuff from PM.

While you may have been a customer for 2 years, the duration in which the blacklisted phone was registered on the network may not be the same.  The system does maintain a log of device IMEI and the towers that the device has connected to and various other usage.  You would be surprised how much analytics are on file.  

@BarinderJassal wrote:

@hairbag1  yes IMEI is appearing as blocked.

Looks like you're hooped. You'll need a new phone, I'm afraid.

BarinderJassal

@hairbag1  yes IMEI is appearing as blocked.

@BarinderJassal wrote:

Dealing with the moderators can be a...frustrating experience all right. Please try the link previously provided to confirm if its been blacklisted...then let us know.

BarinderJassal

@BarinderJassal 

Do you know the original provider of the phone? If so call them just in case there was a mistake with the IMEI. Three years is a very long time.... contract would have expired a year ago.

@BarinderJassal wrote:

@BarinderJassal , Kijiji sellers are not all trustworthy.  It could be that the person you purchased it from still owed money on the phone and decided to stop paying.  The carrier that sold the phone has blacklisted it for unpaid bills.  There is no other explanation for why a phone would suddenly enter the blacklist.  

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@BarinderJassal....

...use the link provided by @HALIMACS  and let us know the results. Is it,in fact, blacklisted ?

skf

In what way is your phone blocked? Will it not allow you to access cell service?

BarinderJassal

@BarinderJassal 

Where did you first get your phone?

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@BarinderJassal 

If your phone has been blacklisted, there's not alot you can do.

Did you purchase it NEW or from an unknown seller?

Check the Status of Your Device in Canada - DeviceCheck.ca

Need Help? Let's chat.