cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone does not work in US

NickSO
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I joined two months ago and this is the second time I went to the US and I did not have phone or data service. I have a plan for Canada, US service and I can not get in touch with technical support.  I opened a ticket and am waiting for support.  I plan to go to a Public mobile boutique when I return home next week. Anyone have the same problem and had a fix from Public?

15 REPLIES 15

NickSO

I have the roaming turned on. I thought that was the problem but it did not help the second time I was in the US.  Good thing my friend has Bell mobile phone that works without having to f'around with settings. It's $40 unlimited phone and text with 50G data.

@NickSO  Previously it had been suggested that you ask Public Mobile for a refund of the $10, I was suggesting that my interpretation was that you didn't actually buy it.  No, nobody here works for PM we're just trying to help a fellow customer.

@NickSO  Are you sure it was $10, or maybe 10 Public Points?  The US roaming add ons in $ amounts are $15 for talk and text and $30 for talk text and data.   You seem to be saying you didn't actually buy it though?  It sounds like you might have got the automated message on crossing the border which has not been revised to cater for customers on the PM Canada-US plan.  If on the Canada-US plan just ignore it.  

As was said before, there is no such thing as a PM booth.  All support is online, Telus/Koodo stores can't help.  If you can't get the chatbot to work, send a private message to support using this link but most likely the problem is the settings in your phone.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437 

NickSO

I have been trying to get in touch with PM tech support for three days now and have  ticket #. I will visit the PM booth at the mall at home when I get back. Not to impressed with customers service or (the total absence of) PM

HI @NickSO 

there is no $10 to pay for you if you are on the Canada-US plan

many has been using the service without problem.  And remember, when you are in US, it relies on T-Mobile and AT&T and sometimes, it is not PM fault if both US networks have poor coverage there

asking PM for a refund for US addon is not hard if they see you unable to use the service.  And in your case, you have Canada-US plan and there is no need for the addon, for sure an easy request 

NickSO

I would be hesitant to pay the $10 for US service as requested because getting in touch with Public Mobile is next to impossible for a refund.

hi @NickSO 

then just ask agent for the money back on the addon and you shouldn't need

please submit a ticket with CS Agent using this Chatbot link:  https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/publicmobile/publicmobile.html  Type the question "Submit ticket", Then click the following in order: "Contact Us" ,  "Other",  "Log In".  
If any issue with ticket submission, you can  submit by direct message:  
      https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437 

NickSO

I'm back in Canada and cannot try the fix you suggest.  Will have to try your suggestion when I travel to the US. THS.

hi @NickSO 

no need to worry about the extra roaming you got, you just need top submit a ticket and PM agent will reimburse you the money

but now, is everything working? you have not tell us if you tried both networks, T-Mobile and AT&T

NickSO

I turned the roaming on after the first time on my Gallaxy A53 5G. The text was from Public Mobile about $10 for 15days service.

NickSO

I have a Samsung A53 phone. I forgot to mention that I got a text that said I need to pay $10 for 15 day service in USA even though I have unlimited phone, text and 60 gig data for Canada and US.

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@NickSO  Since it's both voice and data that doesn't work I wonder if you have the phone set to 5G?  If it's trying to connect to 5G on AT&T it may not work as already noted so drop to 4G/LTE and/or try T-Mobile.  Can you tell us what phone you have and which US carrier it is trying to connect to?  Some phones try to use Verizon which is now supposed to work but a couple of people said it didn't for them.  Do SMS texts work?  As for contacting customer support, are you using that chat icon bottom right of this page to submit a ticket?  Most likely it is a settings problem which can usually be solved here in the community.

@NickSO wrote:

I joined two months ago and this is the second time I went to the US and I did not have phone or data service. I have a plan for Canada, US service and I can not get in touch with technical support.  I opened a ticket and am waiting for support.  I plan to go to a Public mobile boutique when I return home next week. Anyone have the same problem and had a fix from Public?

Please remember that Public Mobile doesn't have stores.  Telus stores are not equipped to assist Public Mobile customers. All support is done online.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@NickSO 

Critical part to US roaming depends on T-Mobile/AT&T coverage and whether you can connect successfully onto either network.

If the phone is not connecting to T-Mobile/AT&T, change the Network Connection from Automatic to Manual and select and test both T-Mobile and AT&T and see which one you can connect.

If your issue is with data, make sure your Roaming Mobile data is enabled and you have disabled your mobile data limiter.  Also change your network mode to 4G (and don't try 5G until you can connect and works on 4G)

If your issue is with voice, make sure VoLTE is enabled on the device setting.  And if it does not work, try to change the Network to T-Mobile ONLY, and change  Preferred Network Type or Network Mode to 2G and see if the calls go through.
Also, you can download VoIP app TextNow as a workaround to make calls and text if you have Wifi or if your roaming has data component and data  is working

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hey @NickSO 

Try this. Go into your network settings, turn off automatic and choose T-Mobile and then reboot. Also make sure your Data Roaming is turned on. If T-Mobile doesn't work, try AT&T and reboot. If you don't know how to do this, let me know what phone you have an I'll help you further.

Need Help? Let's chat.