cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone dialling 911

Sandy7
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

We had two visits from police in the last 24 hours and they are telling us that my husband's phone number is calling 911 but my name is showing as the caller. Our public mobile account is under my name. My husband's phone has been sitting on the counter the entire time so it's nothing he is doing by accident. Also, his Emergency SOS has been turned off the whole time. Naturally, I keep getting error messages when I try to create a ticket on public mobile's site. Anyone else ever had this issue? Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

@Yummy wrote:

Interesting... HOW police got your address? Will PM provide address to law enforcement without a warrant?

What your call history says regarding calls to 911?
Name and number can be spoofed. I got a call from a bank (name was displayed) and number was 1-8xx. Contacting Real bank support number confirmed 1-8xx does not belong to them...

Police don't need a warrant to see a caller's information.  Whlie we're disccusing cell phone service here, landlines and VoIP lines auomatically send the information to 9-11 call centres.  As for cell phones calls, it's fully possible that Telus is also sending the informaiton saved in the account, although I've never been able to receive any direct confirmation from Public Mobile about that.  Also, 9-11 call centres also automatically receive GPS coordinates from calls placed form a cell phone.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Interesting... HOW police got your address? Will PM provide address to law enforcement without a warrant?

What your call history says regarding calls to 911?
Name and number can be spoofed. I got a call from a bank (name was displayed) and number was 1-8xx. Contacting Real bank support number confirmed 1-8xx does not belong to them...

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Sandy7 , take a look at the usage history in your account.  That will confirm whether 911 calls were actually made on your account.  

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

This is just an outside the box thinking....   is it an iPhone? With this new iOS 17 there have been a lot of updates. I noticed a lot of settings went back to factory reset and had to do things all over again. I'm thinking the fall notification maybe reset or turned on? Does he wear an apple watch with it?  Once again, just outside the box thinking here as I've read stories where the iPhone "felt" like the owner fell and with no movement or "click me if you're OK" and not being clicked... it calls 911. 

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

This sounds like a device issue, not a service provider issue. Most phones have emergency mode. For example, on my Pixel if I push the power button 5 times consecutively it will call 911.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Sandy7 

No posts about similar situation on the forum that I know of.  Call id spoofing?  Weird.

You can directly private message CSA via the following link:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Expect a few hour wait until CSA responds though. Check your private message inbox for response.

Need Help? Let's chat.