cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old $15 plan w/ included 250MB data grandfathered?

TheDarkReverend
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows if the old $15 subscription plan with the included 250MB data is grandfathered for those of us that are still on it.  It was too complex of a question to ask the PM chat bot...

Thanks!

17 REPLIES 17

@Meow   If you're only interested in unlimited talk/text, then Telus' annual $100 prepaid plan currently offers unlimited nationwide talk/text for the next 2 years which is quite a bit cheaper than the current PM talk/text only plan.  

xiv
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Meow I totally agree. I'm still waiting for the TelCo that will have a "build-your-own-plan" feature. You would get your pick of Bandwidth, data allocation, talk-time minutes (including overseas minutes), SMS.

Needless to say, I'm not holding my breath.

( Edit: oversees -> overseas )

@xiv Everybody has different needs so that is why life is so interesting. Imagine Everybody wants and likes the same thing with no choice to choose from.

I have no use for 250MB of data. Home, or free WiFi is everywhere so that works fine with me.
I do not like my 100 min of outgoing calls as if you use your phone to call some company which puts you on hold (forever) those 100 min are useless. Thus I would prefer unlimited calls/sms in/out.

You can go to Telus, no problem. They have 'starter' plan for $15 = $180/year.
PM with points comes to $161/year or less. For sure I can find a use for those extra $19/year (or more) no matter how little they are.

xiv

Thanks @hTideGnow for that link. I will aggressively stay put on my current plan, since as you say, I should be grandfathered into it. However, seeing what's been happening in the last year, I think we can no longer take anything for granted anymore, unfortunately.

hi @xiv 

you wont' be forced onto the new $15.  Anyone on the $15 will stay (i have couple family accounts on it and working well 🙂 )

and just in case you need Telus for the plan, it is there: 

https://www.telus.com/en/mobility/prepaid/plans

xiv

@Meow wrote:

I wish your wishful thinking will bear fruit and all on $15 will be switched to unlimited voice/sms with no data plan.

I take exception to that, @Meow. I'm perfectly happy with the plan as it is now. 250MB is just right for my needs, and unlimited talk time is a total waste in my case. So if/when they remove the 250MB from the plan, I will deplete my add-ons, and then look for another provider that actually implements the CRTC-mandated low-cost plans@softech has mentioned in another thread that PM is actually NOT Telus' official implementation of the mandate, which I was not aware of. So somewhere in the Telus catalog, the 15$ plan, intact with all its 250MB of data, must be available whenever I will elect to switch.

EB0

PM 3G is actually 5G capped to 3 m, which should not make any difference to PM.

However, PM has stopped offering $15 3G 250k plan, and they may use the drop of 3G as reason to get more money from existing clients.

Anyway, PM is full of surprises, no one can predict their next move. two years ago, they introduced point system, they told that old customers are safe, then they have forced everyone to move to the point system.

@EB0 wrote:

IMO, I don’t see PM is going to introduce $10 at any time, PM has changed the $10 50 minutes plan to $13 a few years ago.

when 3G is no longer available, PM may force all $15 existing customers to $19 plan with 1GB or $15 unlimited calls without data.

This was stated earlier, but there being no 3g network available wouldn't make any difference.  All plans give access to all Public Mobile network types.

EB0

IMO, I don’t see PM is going to introduce $10 at any time, PM has changed the $10 50 minutes plan to $13 a few years ago.

when 3G is no longer available, PM may force all $15 existing customers to $19 plan with 1GB or $15 unlimited calls without data.

@Chalupa_Batman wrote:

Hello @TheDarkReverend 

I am on that plan as well. There has been no official word yet from Public Mobile. We probably won't hear anything until the day before or the day of when 3G is no longer available in Canada. IMO they'll probably bump everyone up to the new $15 plan with no data. Granted by then, it may be different then as plans change often. Hoping by the this $15 plan with no data is down to $10 as there is no reason for the extra $5 without any data. But $15 1GB data would be the right move. Guess we'll see.

'New' $15 plan with no data is not available anymore for current customers.

I wish your wishful thinking will bear fruit and all on $15 will be switched to unlimited voice/sms with no data plan.

Therefore, start praying Now! Longer you do maybe somebody at PM will get a message... from above...

maurelle

@Phil_Adelphus wrote:

@Chalupa_Batman   Yes I got that you are on the $15 plan, I was on it for several months too.  My point was that PM's 3G does not limit you to the 3G network, just to 3G speed (if they are still doing that, some seem to say the speed on that plan has gone up).  So when 3G is dropped it will depend on the phone rather than the carrier - from what's been said here it seems unlikely that the 3G network will be dropped next year anyway.

The whole 3G speed thing was a misnomer from the very beginning. It has created confusion ever since it was introduced here. PM could have gone with something like "LTE light" to differentiate the throttled speed plans. Not only had that been a better description, it would have also not sounded so like 2008...

But hey, it's Public Mobile, no surprises, really.

@Chalupa_Batman   Yes I got that you are on the $15 plan, I was on it for several months too.  My point was that PM's 3G does not limit you to the 3G network, just to 3G speed (if they are still doing that, some seem to say the speed on that plan has gone up).  So when 3G is dropped it will depend on the phone rather than the carrier - from what's been said here it seems unlikely that the 3G network will be dropped next year anyway.

Hello @Phil_Adelphus 

I'm sure you read that I am on the plan already and know the plan well. I'm simply saying that when 3G is no longer available in Canada next year, Public Mobile hasn't made any announcements yet on what the transition will be. My post, as mentioned, was an opinion of what the transition may be. Nobody really knows. But for now we'll all be keeping this plan that are on it until 3G is dropped and Public Mobile has decided it's next move.

@Chalupa_Batman  The difference in old vs new $15 plans is that the old one has a small amount of data but only 100 calling minutes whereas the new $15 plan has unlimited minutes, so there is another difference.  As far as 3G is concerned, that's just the speed, it doesn't mean that customers on it are limited to the 3G network.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @TheDarkReverend if you are in the old $15 plan with 250 data, you will keep it as long as you don't change plan.  

But if you are not on it now, there is no more $15 plan for existing subscribers to change to at the moment.  Just the $19 1GB

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hello @TheDarkReverend 

I am on that plan as well. There has been no official word yet from Public Mobile. We probably won't hear anything until the day before or the day of when 3G is no longer available in Canada. IMO they'll probably bump everyone up to the new $15 plan with no data. Granted by then, it may be different then as plans change often. Hoping by the this $15 plan with no data is down to $10 as there is no reason for the extra $5 without any data. But $15 1GB data would be the right move. Guess we'll see.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@TheDarkReverend   Yes, as long as you don't change to another plan, you should be grandfathered in.

Need Help? Let's chat.