cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not getting 5G Speed

Genji_Genji
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I recently upgrade my phone to a S20+ (SM-G986U1) from a S10 (SM-G973W) and not getting 5G Speed. On my S10 I am getting 210Mbps+ on speedtest.net via LTE, while on the S20+ I can barely hit 100Mpbs. I have a 5G Speed plan. Does having the S20+ with the firmware SM-G986U1 affecting my speed or is there some sort of network block on PM network that prevent it from reaching 5G Speed. Please note I am talking just about 5G Speed and not 5G network.

14 REPLIES 14

G_Pomzz
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Screenshot_2024-03-26-10-26-44-015_com.wilysis.cellinfo-edit.jpg

 POCO X4 Pro, equivalent to Samsung S20 in specs. 

Genji_Genji

Hi @sheytoon just the idea that I cannot use the phone to it's full potential will eventually haunt me down the road. I've tried the *#272*IMEI number# doesn't seem to do anything. Given that you've said this is a software issue, I think it's best I just send it back to Amazon and order one that is a Canadian model. Thank you for the help in figuring this out, and thank you to everyone else that has provided feedback. Cheers!

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

Gotcha. Yes that would be the US variant. I'm fairly sure the hardware can support Canadian CA combos, but you might need to change something called the CSC code for Samsung phones.

Please note that changing your CSC will factory reset your phone. So before doing that procedure, back up everything that you want to save.

How important is the higher speeds for you? If everything works, and you were just curious, you can keep the phone as is.

If you really want to change the CSC, you can try it by searching for guides online. You can change yours to TLS (Telus), and hopefully that will unlock all the proper combos for Canada.

The simplest method is to use the Samsung phone dialer and dial

*#272*IMEI#

Where "IMEI" is your phone's unique IMEI (sort of like a serial number). You can find your IMEI by dialing *#06# or look on the box that shipped with your phone.

Genji_Genji

Hi @sheytoon I bought the S20+ on Amazon Canada (Renewed/Refurbished), model SM-G986U1, I believe this is a US factor unlocked.

Hi @Genji_Genji this has to do with your phone's software. PM won't be able to help.

Did you buy this phone in Canada?

Genji_Genji

Hi @sheytoon I did the same thing on my S10 I see multiple band with 4-CA, while on the S20+ I only see 2 CA band. Do I need to reach out to PM Customer Support for help with this?

Yes that's the screen.

You should be in connected mode during data transfer (not idle). In addition, you'll see additional bands as a result of carrier aggregation (CA). Something like B7, B7, B2, B66 if you have 4-CA.

If your S20 has less bands being used than S10, it could explain the difference in speeds.

Genji_Genji

Hi @sheytoon it showing LTE RRC: IDLE BAND:7 BW:20, not sure if that what you are looking for and I have no idea what all that mean.

Genji_Genji

Hi @softech yes I am aware of the S20 series has 5G issue on PM/Koodo. But I am talking about 5G speed on LTE; my wife has an S20+ (Canadian model) and she getting speed of up to 250Mpbs while on PM data network.

Check *#0011# menu during a speed test and see which bands your S20 is using.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Genji_Genji 

it is a known issue that S20 series does not work well with PM or Koodo, mainly because it was blocked on the OS level, an agreement between Telus and Samsung because both Koodo and PM did not have 5G support when S20 was introduced.  Yes, PM and Koodo both supporting 5G but it is too late and Samsung no longer update the OS to allow the phone to use 5G on PM

But even with you connected on LTE, your speed shoudl still be as good as you are on 5G network (close to 200Mbos)   Please try "Reset All networks" on your phone first, and also test the phone in different area

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Samsung-s20-5G/m-p/1043676#M728790

Genji_Genji

No I am not connected to WiFi. I am testing the new phone (S20+) to ensure that I am getting same speed I am getting with my S10 while on the PM data network. I have strong signal and tested both phone in the same location; the S10 getting 210Mpbs+ while the S20+ is getting less than 100Mpbs.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Genji_Genji remember speeds test produce different results all the time with many variables at play network congestion area your in if your around construction etc . Also 5G speeds is up to 250mbs doesn’t mean you will always see those speeds unfortunately. If you try again later today in different area you most likely will see different results . Also ensure you have wifi off when doing a speed test also 

kylebunga

I have an iPhone 13 with 5G plan and I’m getting very near 250 Mbps using the speed test app. Each test uses about 500mb so be careful not to do it too many times.  

are you not connected to WiFi?

do you have a strong signal?

are you in a congested area with lots of other cell phones being used?

Need Help? Let's chat.