cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung s20 5G

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

So my friend here just activated him in the flash promo 30GB for $40 5G . However the phone only shows LTE and no option in settings for 5G . But when I put his SIM card in my phone (iPhone 14 pro max ) it shows 5G . And oddly enough if I put my Telus SIM card in his phone . He then has the option for 5G . . What would be the reason for this and thanks 

55 REPLIES 55

Very good AAA+ 

thanks @mtbman  .you been tremendous help 😉

thanks @mtbman , good post!!

mtbman
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Correct...flashing a new firmware. It is the latest one from the Samsung firmware servers. Sure, its "designed" for the US, and at the same time, everything I need it to do....works: 5G and esim! Most recent update of the post includes all my homework, showing the exact software version, which is the latest: August 2023.

HI @mtbman 

so you are bascially flashing a new firmware, what exact version is that? and that is designed for US?

mtbman

I've updated my post with pictures with proof that it works....."5G" included!

Allport
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Before this what was your branding? My is XAC which I believe is unlocked Canadian. I talked with the Telus data support guy about doing this and while he admitted it might work he didn't recommend it. Nor could he i guess. 

Screenshot_20230831_054211_Settings.jpg

@mtbman- Fantastic work and great of you to write that up in such detail. It's nerve-wracking doing it but the results can be satisfying.

Allport

I have reset the CSC and changed it as well. Inserting the public Sim card sets it right back. Changing it to Telus with Sim card installed using the samfw tool off xda forms didn't seem to help either. 

If you want to try anything then use the tool to set the CSC to Telus with Sim already installed and reset the device and let me know cause it didn't work for me. 

burkely001

So, I've been doing some major research as to why I cannot get  5G on my s20+ 5G. The conclusion I've come to, is that the phone locks to the first Providers CSC. What I've found is that the phone needs to be flashed or a factory reset of the phone performed in order to reset that CSC. I willl be backing up my phone soon-ish and performing a reset in order to test this out. Just need to pick up a new SIM card first.

HI @Allport 

thanks for sharing

Allport

After a brief talk with Telus data support I have the root cause of the issue and the broader effect... 

All Samsung s20 line of devices have an incompability issue with Koodo and public mobile when it comes to 5g and the initial handshake on connection. Due to how public and Koodo handle the handshake they interpret the connection as not supporting 5g and there for block the connection. That explains why my device works on Telus and my Sim works on the different device but the combination does not work on mine.

So despite being states as supported this line of devices are in fact NOT supported on public mobile correctly. A firmware fix will need to be provided by Samsung to work around this issue but I wouldn't hold your breath for that. 

Allport

A Telus sim card works fine. 

@Handy1 wrote:

@computergeek541  It’s not Samsung fe .. it’s a full s205G even says 5G on the start up screen of the phone . When powering on 

I'm aware, but I'm only trying to show that it's not isolated to one specific model.

@computergeek541  It’s not Samsung fe .. it’s a full s205G even says 5G on the start up screen of the phone . When powering on 

@Handy1 wrote:

@computergeek541  Yes I can confirm this . With my telus SIM card in that phone it will connect to 5G and show the option for 5G 

I can also confirm that with a Telus-sold Galaxy S20 FE 5G, there is no 5G network option in the menu if a Public Mobile SIM card is being used.

@computergeek541  Yes I can confirm this . With my telus SIM card in that phone it will connect to 5G and show the option for 5G 

add that’s what’s most strange is because his PM sim in my phone shows and connects to 5G @computergeek541 

mtbman

I have the Samsung S20 Ultra 5G and it was showing "5G" when I was with Telus last week.

As soon as I ported over to PM over the weekend, it only shows "LTE+".

@Handy1 wrote:

@computergeek541 Samsung has not disabled the 5g option. The device has the correct CSC of PMB and matching firmware version as shown in the pic

Handy1_0-1693249458040.jpeg

Can you confirm your statements from earlier?  Did you insert a Telus SIM card into that same S20 5G device and the 5G network option re-appeared?  That would mean that the option has been disabled by Public/Samsung.

Allport

The network reset has been done. The device is up to date to the most current version for this carrier. Manually selecting a different carrier has no effect. I confirmed CSC is correct and even forced a manual change to PMB just to be sure. I was going to use Odin and reflash the firmware but I don't see the value if it's only the same version. The fact that a Telus Sim gives me 5g option and connected at 5g means a full device reset should not make a difference... I'm stumped

@Handy1 with the number of posts I see, I wouldn't see it was PM hiding it.  And if PM is the one hiding, it would be with the account and you wont see it with the iPhone

it is a bigger chance a Samsung issue as well as a combination of the current firmware and the CSC code.  But in short, I don't think there are much else you can do if you try all these

1. Reset all networks (which you did)
  2. update to latest firmware
  3. Change the network mode from Automatic to manual and pick Public Mobile
  4. Wipe the phone.  Then re-setup the phone with  a different carrier sim - active one and DO NOT restoring old backup and see if the 5G options shows.  If so, try PM sim
  5. confirm CSC code and possibly flash another Canadian one, maybe Telus. 

@computergeek541 Samsung has not disabled the 5g option. The device has the correct CSC of PMB and matching firmware version as shown in the pic

Handy1_0-1693249458040.jpeg

@Handy1 wrote:

So my friend here just activated him in the flash promo 30GB for $40 5G . However the phone only shows LTE and no option in settings for 5G . But when I put his SIM card in my phone (iPhone 14 pro max ) it shows 5G . And oddly enough if I put my Telus SIM card in his phone . He then has the option for 5G . . What would be the reason for this and thanks 

Samsung devices use customized software configuations dpeending on the carrier of the inserted SIM card. Samsung and/or Public Mobile have disabled the 5G network option. 

@BKNS27  Thanks we have definitely tried that also and @softech  yes Ty I remember that thread too . It would seem it’s a issue with PM because his phone has the option for 5G with my Telus SIM card and connected to 5G 

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Handy1 

Worth a try, reset network then reboot your friends phone with the SIM in the phone.

Also try doing a speed test to see what the download and upload speed are.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Handy1 

there was another post about S20+ earlier

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Samsung-S20-5g/m-p/1035955

I am not 100% sure, but some research around suggest S20 is one of the weird models that it sometimes hard to bring out the 5G option.  😞

Share your finding if you have a solution

Need Help? Let's chat.