cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Normal payment process via pre-registered credit card not working.

Leslie43
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have tried to pay via the normal process a number of times today, and each time I am asked for a four digit PIN.  Have confirmed that the instructions on this site that it should be 1 to make a payment, 2 for a pre-registered card, and then 1 to make a payment.  However this third step now asks for a pin which is 1) new, 2) not the process outlined on the website, and 3) not helpful as I don't have a four digit PIN.  Help?

34 REPLIES 34

@Leslie43   Thanks for updating your thread and good to near that you got your payment sorted for the next cycle.

I'd also say most here would agree with your points about not getting any warning or a notice about new changes PM decided to adopt in requiring a PIN for the 611 registered CC payment service.  For some reason PM does not want to share changes they make despite being asked by many here. 

Also it's not bad form to message moderators.  You actually have that option always to go to moderators first, instead of posting your issue/question in the Community forum, as they are PM's customer support service and I'm quite sure many customers don't bother to post here and will just directly contact moderators.    The only reason to post in this forum is that sometimes users here can offer a workaround that will fix some issues much quicker than waiting for the moderator to respond. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Leslie43 

Nice update. Glad you got things all paid up.

Yeah communication around here can be rather lacking. Or updating pages and information. It's kinda pathetic really. But when the service just keeps on working for many thousands of customers...well...who needs info. 🙂

Even the moderators don't get updated with new and proper procedures.

But you did find a new change they they did that caught regulars here by surprise. Myself included.

Were you able to find your PIN in your phone or SIM messages? Or did the moderators change it for you? So that you can use it for your next renewal.

Leslie43

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say thanks again to everyone for responding to my query.  So many thoughtful reponses, and I really appreciate your time and attention. 

FYI, I did go to the next step of asking the moderator (which may or may not be bad form -- still very much a newbie about how PM operates, even though I've been a customer for 2 years) for further information.  Such as: is this a permanent change? Why the change with no advance notice? Why the change at all? Why hasn't there been any information posted on the website? Why are (at least as of y'day) the detailed instructions advising people of how to pay via pre-registered credit card the same as those I've been following for years, and not this apparent new process? And, finally, why aren't there detailed instructions about what to do, if like me, you are a doofus and have no clue where and what the associated PIN can be found.  Would venture to say that all of your time y'day wouldn't have needed to be spent trying to hold my hand through this process, had some of the steps noted above been followed.

And.  I've paid this month's bill using one of the options posted about earlier.

Possibly I am off base, and this situation is a very common method of operation for PM, and if so, my bad.  That being said, if it is, improvements in how to manage similar changes on a go forward basis not an impossible thing to contemplate, maybe?

Thanks again,

leslie

@Anonymous 

Since @maximum_gato is taking a nap I'll update the wishlist.....i do believe that crosses it off the list for @Jb456 and @brettster99  whose wishes are coming true this week along with @BearFBI getting his community profile and username back. If you wish long and hard enough and put in on the " Community's Public Mobile Wishlist " it just might come true!

@Leslie43 

I realize this doesn't help your situation rather encumbers it.....this lack of security for access to your credit card (to load funds onto your account only though) is long overdue.

@Anonymous wrote:

@dabr wrote:

@Leslie43   If your payment is due immediately it might be a good idea to purchase a voucher from either a retailer or gas/convenience stores and load that via the 611 system as @Anonymous  has suggested vouchers don't require a PIN to load.  You can also purchase a voucher online from recharge.com or ding.com, although there is a service fee for online vouchers for the convenience.

Ding seems to only do instant top-ups. If a number had been ported in then I wouldn't trust it until we get proof that it works. It had been found that xoom.com sends it through the original carrier even though the number is now here.

@Anonymous   Yeah I read about some issues with xoom.com, so I left them off my suggestion for OP. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dabr wrote:

@Leslie43   If your payment is due immediately it might be a good idea to purchase a voucher from either a retailer or gas/convenience stores and load that via the 611 system as @Anonymous  has suggested vouchers don't require a PIN to load.  You can also purchase a voucher online from recharge.com or ding.com, although there is a service fee for online vouchers for the convenience.

Ding seems to only do instant top-ups. If a number had been ported in then I wouldn't trust it until we get proof that it works. It had been found that xoom.com sends it through the original carrier even though the number is now here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gpixel wrote:

@Leslie43 do you ever check your voicemail? it's the same pin number they're asking for in 611

@Anonymous 

Is that by default if one never changes it? Also, only if you turned off no password required when on handset.

yes by default it should stay the same. correct, I didn't even know that was an option

I'm not so sure. I think you have to set it up when initially setting up your voicemail but that's been a while now. Resetting the password in the self-serve sets it to your 10 digit number.

@Leslie43  The PIN would be a security improvement and much welcomed as in the past if one knows your phone number they would be able to make payments into your account without authorization provided you had a cc on file. The PIN requirement is a good thing!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gpixel wrote:

@Leslie43 do you ever check your voicemail? it's the same pin

Is that by default if one never changes it? Also, only if you turned off no password required when on handset.

@Anonymous wrote:

@dabr wrote:

@Anonymous   Did you just confirm that by dialing 611 and you now need your PIN to make a payment?  If that's the case some sort of announcement noting the change would be a good idea.

I did try it. It does ask for the PIN. Not for voucher. Just payment card. That is new. While they were there it would have been nice to add the $5 500 add-on too. Oh well.

Hmm...interesting.  Yeah, agree it would have been nice of PM to have added the option of purchasing the $5/500 mins when they went about changing the 611 system and requiring a PIN now for payment.  Oh well indeed!

@Leslie43 do you ever check your voicemail? it's the same pin number they're asking for in 611

@Anonymous 

yes by default it should stay the same. correct, I didn't even know that was an option. 

I think the confusion is cause 611 says "enter your 4 digit pin" and voicemail says "please enter your password" so maybe the customer assumes these are two different passwords/codes

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LurganIeUk 

We're talking about a new thing in the 611 service where when you select credit card it now asks for your PIN. Which is not the payment card PIN.

This was talked about a while ago as a possible problem from a revengeful ex where they could easily rack up a bunch of unnecessary deposits from your payment card.

The option is entirely gone from the toll free access interestingly. So then there's no way to top up from your pre-registered payment card when not on your phone. That could be difficult for some folks.

Edit: it's back.

@Leslie43: earlier Dunkman had posted your options for knowing your PIN. It could also be in your SIM messages. It's from "611".

@Leslie43 wrote:

Not on topic per se, but in reply to Dabr: your FYI re: using the @ key kindly offered, but I appear to be too dense to follow instructions.  Sorry all for newbie mistakes, despite being a Public Mobile customer for a couple of years.

@Leslie43   When you respond are you clicking the reply button too, because then you should be able to select the @key on your keyboard and click the name from the drop down list? 

Sorry if my instructions weren't clear enough, and I don't believe you are too dense to follow the instructions, it's just confusing to you as a new user of this forum.  It took me a little while to learn some of these things when I first started posting.  I'm sure you'll get the hang of it soon.  😊

Leslie43

Not on topic per se, but in reply to Dabr: your FYI re: using the @ key kindly offered, but I appear to be too dense to follow instructions.  Sorry all for newbie mistakes, despite being a Public Mobile customer for a couple of years.

@benfatto wrote:

@Leslie43  I agree with you. Bring back the old system with no pin to use card already registered. 

Is this just new.....you need to input your PUBLIC MOBILE PIN number to input or change credit card for auto pay? I changed both account a couple of months ago and did NOT have to enter a PM PIN number. For some customers that is going to be a real hassle. And for all eventually, if it is not readily available (forgotten🥴) when we have to input a new card with new expiration date. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dabr wrote:

@Anonymous   Did you just confirm that by dialing 611 and you now need your PIN to make a payment?  If that's the case some sort of announcement noting the change would be a good idea.

I did try it. It does ask for the PIN. Not for voucher. Just payment card. That is new. While they were there it would have been nice to add the $5 500 add-on too. Oh well.

@Leslie43 

If you are looking for PIN, you should have gotten a text from Public mobile when you first signed up your account.  

Otherwise, you will need to contact moderator to set up PIN again.

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Leslie43  I agree with you. Bring back the old system with no pin to use card already registered. 

@Leslie43 wrote:

Can't help but agree with you on that front.  

@Leslie43   Just FYI and to make it easier to know who you're responding to, just click the @ key and a list of names in this conversation will drop down, then select the name you are responding to.  It's not obvious how to respond to other users when you're new to this forum. 😊

Leslie43

Can't help but agree with you on that front.  

Leslie43

Thank you.  Will take that option if the phone process continues to go awry

Leslie43

Nope. Credit card has been pre-registered for a couple of years.  This is just the garden variety normal paymenet process via 611 gone astray

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@Leslie43 wrote:

I have tried to pay via the normal process a number of times today, and each time I am asked for a four digit PIN.  Have confirmed that the instructions on this site that it should be 1 to make a payment, 2 for a pre-registered card, and then 1 to make a payment.  However this third step now asks for a pin which is 1) new, 2) not the process outlined on the website, and 3) not helpful as I don't have a four digit PIN.  Help?

Ok so you have not been able to set up a credit card on “My Account”? Is it asking for a PIN number or for the other 3 or 4 CSC digits on the front or back of your credit card?

BE136750-0B3A-4DAA-803A-2C7F0009F582.gif

Some cards have CSC on front and/or back. Amex has on front and back and numbers are different.....but do work. 

Leslie43

Hi,

Yes.  I dialled 611, and despite several attempts, all asked for the 4 digit PIN.  

Thanks

@Leslie43 wrote:

I will look for it, but it is a complete change to the normal process.  And not the one that instructions outline to follow.

@Leslie43   You need your email and password for the login to self serve account.  Here is the link to log into your account: https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/

If you don't remember the pin or password for self serve account then contact moderators and ask for reset password and new PIN.  You can private message Moderator_Team here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Leslie43

I will look for it, but it is a complete change to the normal process.  And not the one that instructions outline to follow.

@Leslie43 wrote:

through 611

@Leslie43   Have you tried self serve account then?

Leslie43

through 611

@Anonymous wrote:

@Leslie43 

You're right! That's new.

I wonder how long that's been that way.

A wish list item to remove @darlicious . No more ex-bf's cranking up your payment card.

Need Help? Let's chat.