cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non Credit Card method of payment

thetrinidadgirl
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi there,
If you wish to pay for your bill WITHOUT any credit card at all, can this be done?
Even it is means losing the $2 AutoPay reward, can Public be added as a payee via online banking and paid through that way?
HELP!

17 REPLIES 17

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@Korth 

Thanks for the information I am going to look into it.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@Jb456

The only links I could post are from my online banking login, lol, I don't see any open public stuff at the Envision site.

But it's available to all Envision members. Would cost $5 to open an account (have to buy credit union member shares, returned if/when you ever quit) but you can choose from a variety of personal chequing or savings accounts which don't ever cost anything (no monthly maintenance fees, no banking fees, no minimum balance requirement, etc).

Not sure how savvy you are about banks vs credit unions. There's a few tradeoffs but for most consumers (and small businesses) the advantages are worth it and the disadvantages never happen (because the multi-million-dollar financial institution is realistically not going to go bankrupt).

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@Korth do you have a link for yours so I  can read about it? Tried searching "envision Desjardins card" but was not able to find it.

The Desjardins one is on link below. 

https://www.desjardins.com/ca/personal/loans-credit/prepaid-card/index.jsp

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@Jb456

Yeah, probably something different. Prepaid, no funds available until you deposit them on card. But you link to Envision account to preload it - with whatever limits or schedules you set, even on a per-use (or post-use) basis if you really want to micromanage your money movements. I just find it handy for online stuff, credit card can't be charged (will be declined) unless my chequeing account allows the spending (as set by my filters in online control panel thing) passes the authorization forward. I even get an instant SMS describing the transact, where, when, who, how much, along with the option to immediately report/cancel/deny it (if act quickly, lol).

Downside is no reward points or airmiles or whatever on this visa.

Not sure how this compares vs Desjardins current visa offers. I'll check it out when my existing one approaches expiry date, lol.

I really like Koho

No fees at all

Not even insufficient funds charge (just message that payment couldn't go through)

No fees to load or spend or any yearly/monthly fees.

And if you can find the right referral code they will give you $20 after spending your first dollar there (if you spend it within 30 days of opening the account)

They give 2.5% cashback for public mobile payments

I also like that they give you 2 cards, virtual and physical. I have now 4 accounts being paid from my virtual (I used to have five) and I can probably get 4 or 5 more on the physical one if I ever need it

I think it's an awesome companion to public mobile

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@Korth  

It can't be "prepaid" then? Prepaid is you add money to the card and that's the amount you can spend theres no interest or credit limits.

Desjardins offers one right on there site. $6.95 a year. I have one attached to one of my accounts for my son.  Easy to log into online banking and transfer funds from account to the card.

No transaction fees for deposit / withdrawals

No minimum balance required

Verified by Visa for online purchases.

Zero liability for fraud

Purchase protection and extended warranty.

Maximum amount you can transfer to prepaid account is $5000

No minimum reload amount.

Even has the contactless tap 

So that's prepaid. If I log into account transfer $500 to the prepaid card. Then $500 is the balance to spend. No interest or credit limits once balance is depleted reload more to it.

So the envision one you're talking about must be something different I think?

Envision (credit union) offers a prepaid Desjardins Visa. $20 card-issue fee (every few years when expiry date), no top-up charges or percentage, no per-use percentages or charges, no decay of inactive funds over time. Not (quite) the best credit interest rates or highest maximum credit limits but no interest charged if you promptly pay (or electronically autopay) your monthly visa statement.

Credit unions are also much more interested in investing into their long-term customers, they'll often restructure or renegotiate or postpone or even dismiss "small" debts and loans to help out personal financial crisis while the Big Five banks will instead try to crucify you and mug your corpse for every penny and dime they can get.

CarterL
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

you can find local stores and gas stations that will sell payment vouchers. i buy a $40 payment voucher for unlimited talk/text and 6.4GBs of data each month. 

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@thetrinidadgirl, be careful with vouchers though. I had a bad experience with vouchers), while others did not. There are gift cards and vouchers, scammers, out there, so I no longer buy gift cards that are in the public area. Coincidentally, the article is from a Canadian Tire customer, how weird is that!

Even buying a pre-paid visa card, I would be deathly afraid of it drained before I can drain it first. I don't need the anxiety. Going to the bank for a pre-paid card sounds like a great idea. I never knew they could do that, but, it does make a lot of sense! 

I now buy my gift cards (vouchers or credit card) online. Private message me if you want more on that.

Other than that, if a credit card isn't possible, or you are afraid of it, even getting a lower credit limit to $500 works, almost like a student credit card. I use that, a lower credit limit, so if by chance by card information is stolen, they won't get much. 

@thetrinidadgirl  The main option if you don't have a credit card or a visa/debit card is using vouchers which are pretty readily available especially if you start looking for a public mobile logo showing they are available.

You may want to consider Koho an online bank that issues a prepaid visa as their bank card. You earn a minimum 0.5% cash back and it's easy to sign up for taking less than 5 minutes and a card is sent to you in about 5 business days.

You could use it exclusively for public mobile transferring enough funds a to cover your monthly plan cost or use it to save money as well with its rounding up options and cashback.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Hi @thetrinidadgirl 

You also have option of Visa debit cards, or prepaid cards, apparently vanilla works and myvanilla doesn't.

If you can't get cc voucher is only other option

DOA
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

CIBC has a prepaid VISA card, you don't need to be a CIBC customer to get one.

There's a one time charge of $5.95 for the card and it can be reloaded.  I'm pretty sure there's no monthly fees.

If you use this, you'll get your monthly $2 autopay credit, so it will pay for itself pretty fast.

Get it at any CIBC branch and take ID with you.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You can pay by Visa debit card to setup  autopay or purchase a voucher to make a payment.  You can also make a payment using recharge.com.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

Trini? Use @darlicious 's voucher catalogue to better compare your buying options @thetrinidadgirl . https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/Voucher-Catalogue/m-p/479165#...

Welcome to PM. 

@thetrinidadgirl wrote:

Hi there,
If you wish to pay for your bill WITHOUT any credit card at all, can this be done?
Even it is means losing the $2 AutoPay reward, can Public be added as a payee via online banking and paid through that way?
HELP!

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@thetrinidadgirl wrote:

Hi there,
HELP!

Yes paying without a credit card can be done.  No you can't set it up as a payee with your bank but you can have the payment come directly out of your account if your bank issues Visa Debit cards.  Or you can use vouchers that are available from various retailers

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@thetrinidadgirl 

No online banking payment with Public mobile.

A few options:

Visa debit cards can be used for autopay.

Buying payment vouchers in store (Walmart, gas stations, Shoppers, etc.) or online (ie recharge.com - service fee applies)

Some prepaid visa card can be used with Public mobile.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

No online banking.

Here's what you can do. As long as you have a credit card on file you'll get the $2 autopay reward. You don't have to use the card to pay your 30 day plan.

Most banks also offer prepaid credit cards attached to your bank account. Maybe check one of those.

To pay just buy a top up voucher.. all kind of places to get them from shell, Esso, Walmart...etc...

See link below with locations..

Vouchers click here 

Need Help? Let's chat.