cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New number

jd444
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm in Vancouver but I don't like the numbers. I prefer 778 or 604 numbers. I found a couple 604 in Squamish. Do you think I'd be good or should I stick with activating a new number with Vancouver number options? Thank you 

36 REPLIES 36

LoveNature
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@computergeek541 @softech @dust2dust 

Thanks a lot for explaining the information..

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@jd444   Have you tried changing numbers in your account?   If you're after the 778 area code for Vancouver then those numbers were available when I just tried a couple of minutes ago, which isn't always the case.  Of course, you have the option to keep refreshing the list if for more numbers as already mentioned but then the 778 option wasn't available on refreshing but depending on how long you try to refresh for a new set of numbers, I'm sure the 778 number will pop up again.  

edit:  can confirm 778 numbers do come back for selection after refreshing More Phone Number Options after just a couple of minutes.

@LoveNature wrote:

@dust2dust 

please do you review this  Area codes 778, - Wikipedia

so when OP need to get the area code ( 778 ) why is matter the city name, if in Province of British Columbia has many city has area code ( 778 )?

so how the Long Distances will be charge on city or in area code?

i am not get it, sorry how they charged the Tax by area code phone number and

the Long Distances call charge by city ? something wrong.

Somebody calling to the same area code doesn't make it a local call. It sometimes will be, but it sometimes won't be. 

While this makes no difference when calling from a Public Mobile phone (and local calling areas for outgoing calls for any cell phone are based on the location the call is made from and not the outgoing phone number), it can make difference for the person calling the OP.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

I sometimes am still overly thrilled that there are many plans that are Canada wide calling.

People who have or remember having landlines, I imagine, would most certainly know their calling boundaries at which distance from them would become long distance. 

With Canada wide calling people start to forget.

@LoveNature wrote:

@dust2dust 

so when OP need to get the area code ( 778 ) why is matter the city name, if in Province of British Columbia has many city has area code ( 778 )?

@LoveNature 

No need to fully understand everything.  Just take the words that Long distance charge is based on Rate Centre (city) and not Area code.     ie, Calling within same area code could also have a Long Distance charge and calling between different area codes could be "free" without Long distance charge. 

There is no simple rule as to when LD charge will be there, different cities or rate centres have their own rules when "free" call without Long distance charge stops.  

With that in mind, when you advise people to choose phone number, please be careful and don't just assume it is free within the same area code and suggest people to pick a number from a different city.  ie, OP is in Vancouver, suggesting picking a number from Stewart is not a good one because this is an example that calling between these 2 cities, both 778 area code, would not be free calls.

(Add: again, it doesn't really matter for outgoing calls for PM customer as long as they have Canada-wide calling, even Provincial wide calling is ok in OP's case.  But incoming calls might matters as you never know if the one calling have free LD calls or not) 

@LoveNature- I'm sorry I don't know how else to explain it. I've written at length now my understanding. Perhaps somebody else can have a go at explaining it in different words. I don't know how else I can put it.

It's just the way it is. Area code belongs to province or subset. Prefixes belong to subareas in those subsets. And much of this is explained similarly in that wikipedia article you referenced.

The OP was also looking for 604.

Again, none of this really matters when the customer subscribes to Canada-wide service. But not everybody or every service does.

Adding - Ok... @LoveNature how about this:

Dial a 10 digit number.
The CO sees the area code and says yup that's me. Then it looks at the prefix and says yup that's in my local calling area. Off you go.
Or
The CO sees the area code and says yup that's me. Then it looks at the prefix and says that's not my local calling area. Dail with a 1. Buh bye.
Or
The CO sees the area code and says no that's not my area. It looks up if it shares the area with the dialed area code. It does. Then it looks at the prefix and says yup that's in my local calling area using that area code. Off you go.

Or
Dial an 11 digit number.
The CO sees the area code and says yup that's me. Then it looks at the prefix and says yup that's in my local calling area. Off you go. While it scratches its head wondering why you added the 1.
Or
The CO sees the area code and says yup that's me. Then it looks at the prefix and says that's not my local calling area. The CO looks up to see if the caller subscribes to a service that lets them call that number that is outside of the local calling area. Yes they do. Off you go. We'll catch up with the minutes and any charges later.
Or
The CO sees the area code and says no that's not my area. It looks up if it shares the area with the dialed area code. It does. Then it looks at the prefix and says yup that's in my local calling area using that area code. Off you go.
Or
The CO sees the area code and says no that's not my area. It looks up if it shares the area with the dialed area code. It doesn't. The CO looks up to see if the caller subscribes to a service that lets them call that number that is outside of the local calling area. Yes they do. Off you go. We'll catch up with the minutes and any charges later.
Or
The CO sees the area code and says yup that's me. Then it looks at the prefix and says that's not my local calling area. The CO looks up to see if the caller subscribes to a service that lets them call that number that is outside of the local calling area. No they don't. Buh bye
Or
The CO sees the area code and says no that's not my area. It looks up if it shares the area with the dialed area code. It doesn't. The CO looks up to see if the caller subscribes to a service that lets them call that number that is outside of the local calling area. No they don't. Buh bye

Or
Dial with a + or 011 and it really has to think. Now it has to parse out the country code and look up to see if the caller subscribes to a service that lets them call that country and if so it sends the call off to that countrys system to connect with the recipient. We'll catch up with the minutes and any charges later. If not allowed then buh bye.

The tax part is the billing. That has nothing to do with long distance. All area codes belong to their respective province. Each province charges their tax. Your number has an area code that belongs to a province. So you get taxed based on the taxes of that province. You will only get that when an actual charge is made through autopay or initial activation when you chose the number.

For picking a number, you might want a specific area code (like the OP). But some providers will show what area the call came from. So after finding a number with the area code, you have also found a subarea (city) that has the prefix that belongs to that subarea. Then you have all the listed scenarios above for the callers that wish to call you. They may need to call you as long distance for them. Or they might be a local call. You might also be interested in where all you can call as a local call. But for here of course it's all Canada-wide so that doesn't matter.

LoveNature

@dust2dust 

@LoveNature- That's when we get into prefixes. The area codes belong to the province and subsets. The prefixes belong to sub-areas in those subsets. It's all network routing and software therein. It comes from the central office  (CO) of your prefix. You dial out with your 10 digits and it magically 🙂 arrives at your local CO. The routing and software looks at the number you dialed and looks at its list of prefixes that it can let go through and decides your call can go through. But if it doesn't find the prefix in its local list then it stops and tells you that you can't call that number. You try again and add the 1 in front and now it says well ok but we're going to charge you for that because it's outside of our local calling area. Oh that's very far away, we're going to charge you a lot. Or just outside the local calling area then not so much. Or of course in the case of having Canada-wide calling it won't charge anything. And maybe you've heard the legacy recording that long distance charges may apply.

If you have the old province-wide calling then it's an easy lookup. Is this area code in this province? Yes, away you go. No, wait, do you subscribe to other ability to make this call out of province? Yes, away you go. No, stop right there.

Or calling the US. The CO says yeah that's a US number based on the area code, looks up what services the subscriber has and sees that they can call the US and sends the call through. Or not.

Or a call to 911. The CO just forwards it through.

All of this looking up and deciding is of course all at effectively the speed of light. Once upon a time there was a human sitting in front of a board moving wires around connecting callers to recipients and making those decisions.

I'm no expert in all of this and may very easily have incorrect specific technical terms or processes. But it's the idea.

I didn't even think of those building intercoms that call you on your cell!

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Here is your ultimate answer. 

Check page 1 and 2. 

Then mark me for you solution. 😀😀

https://localcallingguide.com/lca_listexch.php?page=1&lir=808612

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Try Bowen Island. 

You just have to make sure the number is in our calling area. 

778 is here and in Kelowna. 

Not that you care....your calling is Canada Wide but others that don’t have Canada Wide won’t appreciate having to call you LD. 

Try this to confirm what is in our calling area. I think beyond Abbotsford and Squamish is LD. 

https://localcallingguide.com/lca_listexch.php?region=BC

https://cnac.ca/co_codes/co_code_status.htm

LoveNature

@dust2dust @softech 

thanks for the info,.. but how they know for Long Distances will be charge on city or in area code? if by the city
then other city has same area code ?

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

@LoveNature- As it is with all provinces, the history and growth of numbers evolved over time.
When telephones started out in BC there was the 604 area code covering the whole province.
Then 250 was created where they carved out 604 for the lower mainland and the rest of the province got 250. Then 778 came along which ran overtop of (overlaid) 250 simultaneously and part of 604. Then it overlaid the whole province.

Then 236 arrived which overlaid the whole province.

Then the most recent 672 overlays the whole province as well.
604 is still held just in the lower mainland and 250 is still the rest. You can't get those numbers in the other. 778, 236 and 672 can be found everywhere. You will not find a 604 number in Stewart but certainly a 778 and the others.

Landlines are still bound by local calling areas. Even some cell phone plans may still be bound by them. In the case of this thread and this customer, it is a local call from Aldergrove across Vancouver and even over to the Sunshine Coast to Sechelt and north on the west side of Howe Sound up to Port Mellon. Not the east side.

But you'd have to know these areas to understand. Maybe you're in ON somewhere as softech says about 905.

Calls in the same area code are most definitely not always local. You can have a 778 number in Victoria and a 778 number in Fort Nelson (or Stewart) and that is absolutely long distance.

But yes Canada-wide calling removes all of that wondering. Yet we still have people using building intercoms that are landlines and can't call a number because it's long distance and the building doesn't want to pay for it.

Then we get into prefixes... 🙂

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

I personally wouldn't go for a number from a city that far away as it can be problematic for people calling you if they don't have a Canada wide plan. 

If 604/778 are important to you (I get it), i might suggest trying to activate a basic plan on Telus or Rogers and see if they have any available, then port it out. That comes with a bit of up front cost of course, but it could work if it's important to you. 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@LoveNature   and to be absolutely correct, I should say Long Distance or not is based on Rate Centre (not even city boundary).  But again, it definitelly not simply based on area code

@LoveNature wrote:

@softech 

sorry something not right is a wrong.   .. when is make call they company is know for the area code not on city.

@LoveNature 

i honestly have no idea what this comment is about. 

and you probably familiar with Brampton, Ont.  Brampton has a 905 area code but calling Richmondhill/Aurora/Newmarket/Markham/Stouffville, all 905 area codes, is long distance.  

Call 416 is free, which some area of this Toronto area is actually farer than the some of the 905 cities above

LoveNature

@softech 

sorry something not right is a wrong.   .. when is make call they company is know for the area code not on city.

how you know @gpixel   🙂

@LoveNature   Long distance calls are based on the two cities (from and to), not based on area code.

For example, calls between BC cities with the same area code 778 can be long distance.  Similarly calls between 2 cities with the same Ontario area code 905 can be long distance.

On the other hand, calls between 2 different area codes can also be "local" number.

It doesn't even have to do with their actual distance between the 2 cities.  The"local calls" between 2 cities with different area codes can be farer away than a Long distance calls between 2 other cities with same area code

So, I am sure.  🙂

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

lol SS

LoveNature

@softech 

the Long Distances will be charge on city and not area code? are you sure. 

review for  Local calling areas explained

@LoveNature   long distance charge or not is based on city and not area code

As my research found, Stewart is a very bad choice in terms of long distance call, it needs LD to call anywhere other than locally within Stewart

LoveNature

Hi @computergeek541 

Province of British Columbia has many city has area code ( 778 )

please review   Area codes 778, - Wikipedia

i don't understand why the offering the area code but if need a Long Distances.?

LoveNature

Hi @wetcoaster 

i did tested now for the City Stewart, the code (778) is showing to can get it. and also for Vancouver is showing for the code (778) is there but they need more refreshing.

all plans is Canada Wide calling, then not matter, oh if someone call to  is need a Long Distances. my bad and sorry.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@jd444   

Squamish is ok choice,  you can call Vancouver area for free but they cannot call you back for free

Stewart is a terrible choice, It cannot call anywhere for free other than local Steward numbers

Of course, if people have Canada Wide calling, then it doesn't matter

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@wetcoaster - I agree about the 'clean slate' number; definitely benefits to it. 🙂

I tested to change my number in My Account and got three 778 number options after selecting different BC cities, then going back to select Vancouver. So, they are out there.

Now, unless the activation portal has different options then our My Accounts. In this case, the OP can activate with any Vancouver number, then pop into My Account after activation and see what comes up to change it to.

FYI - @jd444 

"You can change your phone number up to 4 times every 30 days after you’ve activated." (free of charge)

To change or transfer your number after activation, go to your Self Serve Account here  "

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

If you are in the GVA "brand new" 604 and 778 numbers have long since run out, hence the need for new overlays (236, 672). As people or businesses are closing accounts or abandonining their numbers they'll go back into the pool. So, again assuming that you are in Vancouver proper, you can be pretty certain that you'd get a 604 or 778 number that has been used previously - with all that that entails. 

See above posts for better choices on 604 or 778 numbers.

There's also the likelyhood that those area codes might (or might not) be up for grabs at the top tier providers first before trickling down to us at the third tiers. If you want to go through the according hassle and expense you can sign up with Telus etc on a number you like and then port it to Public Mobile.

But lets be honest, there's nothing wrong with the new area codes - they work as well as the older ones and most people are used to getting all kinds of area codes (from all over the country) by now .

And, as hinted, it can actually be nice to start with a clean slate of a brand new number.

@LoveNature wrote:

Hi @jd444 

that is fine get it.

@jd444 

sorry. choose City Stewart, there have th code (778)

@LoveNature 

Sorry to be a spoilsport, but your post correction is not helpful.

The OP clearly stated that they are in Vancouver - not sure what map you are looking at but on all I have access to Stewart is possibly as far away from Vancouver that you can go along the BC coast and will definitely not qualify for local calling for anybody located in Vancouver trying to reach the OP.

Alternatives that might still show the old area codes in the lower mainland plus some hint on GVA rate center connectivity have been given by other members above.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @jd444 it likely has no effect for you, bit more for those who call you.  Some landlines still does not come with free All Canada free calling and still follow old LD city rules.  Any of your friends on those might need to pay to call you

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@jd444 if you are not seeing 778 or 604, simply back out choose another city, then back out again and choose Vancouver. I am sure these numbers will pop up when you do this after a few times. They did for me when I just tested it.

Need Help? Let's chat.