cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Plans!!! $34 50GB Unlimited Data (Canada-US Still available)

fixin1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

There is a new $34 50GB 5G Canada - Wide Plan, now there is currently 7 different plans, which 4 of them are available for existing customers.

Activate it soon!

Screenshot 2024-06-05 at 4.15.48 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-06-05 at 4.16.07 PM.png

It is also listed as LIMITED TIME, which means that Public Mobile may change it to a 20GB or 40GB plan.

And Quebec has their own 2 different plans (50GB + 10GB) Unlimited $34 Canada only plan and the $23 10GB Canada plan for new activations.

31 REPLIES 31

Drspaz78
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I've had 5 people in total sign up and they are still with the company today but my referral rewards blipped on my account not even for a day and then they disappeared just as fast and this was like 3 years ago now, been a customer since 2019, I didn't really care about it then, but now that due to unfortunate unforeseen circumstances of my girlfriend passing away and her not having a will, the bank took her house and I landed on the streets with no family to fall back on, so it would really have came in handy as I'm on day 7 on the streets and have zero data left and think the 15$ 15day plan with 250mb of data is just about to end on me, which will leave me with no way at all in a very rural farm town to get online unless I'm at a friend's house

fixin1

@Drspaz78 - Yes, all of the dodges have Sirius xm. only TESLA has Spotify as far as I know.

Car Thing is being discontinued for people.

Drspaz78
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

When I worked at the Chev dealership or dodge jeep dealership, I don't think I've seen any Spotify radios installed in 1000's of new cars and trucks, but sirrusXM was there, so I'd have to say that SirrusXM radio would look at Spotify and chuckle as Spotify is more like a dessert with whipped cream to Sirrus rather than Sirrus be Spotify's lunch, I have seen this with my own eyes and not once have I seen "Spotify radio" installed in ANY vehicle rather it only is an app download able in the infotainment head units that are themselves SirrusXM radios in about 65-70% with such headunits installed

RavingRaven
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@softechwrote:

"@RavingRaven yup.. I also know they stopped selling that.  That's another confirmation that "charity" is not a smart business decision"

Nor is deceptive marketing.

Yes, but a class action lawsuit by lifetime subscribers forced Sirius to keep up their end of the "deal" and honour their marketing promise of a lifetime subscription for an upfront one time fee. By restructuring their business model and offering a variety of subscriptions to appeal to a wide range of consumers Sirius has been able to continue to attract new subscribers and operate a profitable business while honoring the original marketing promises to its lifetime subscribers who helped supply the company with a significant cash flow to get their vision of the ground and survive the struggles of the first few years a new concept business can encounter.

Telus recognized that Public Mobile's original rewards program coupled with a low cost plan subscribers base was not sustainable. So they introduced a new points rewards program coupled with a rebranding of Public Mobile as an online only provider with affordable larger 4G/5G data plans with self serve account activation and management achieved through the PM app.

The rebranding has been an overwhelming success as new Public Mobile subscribers has been the driving force of Telus's net mobile subscriber additions of 443,000 and the largest customer increase since 2010. The decision to migrate all customers to the points program and not continue to honour its original marketing of the loyalty and autopay rewards albeit in points form is based on greed not charity. Telus has chosen maximum profitability over honesty. It remains to be seen whether this will prove to be a good business decision.

@RavingRaven yup.. I also know they stopped selling that.  That's another confirmation that "charity" is not a smart business decision 

@RavingRaven wrote:

@softech wrote:

> offer a fixed price plan that survives time and inflation.

Let's face it, there is no "Price for Life" for anything, not just mobile services.  it is an unfair ask

Really? Ever heard of Sirius Radio and their lifetime service?

That company is DOA.  Spotify ate their lunch long ago.

@RavingRaven wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@RavingRaven wrote:

Public Mobile is walking a fine line to not be accused of targeting "vulnerable" groups of customers with its elimination of low cost plans and rewards bill discounts for existing customers. This could be considered discrimination and lay the groundwork for a human rights complaint and/or a CRTC complaint/hearing.

Again I am not trying to be heartless, it is a pretty big ask for telecoms to offer a fixed price plan that survives time and inflation.  The feds had their photo op with Roblaws and it led to nothing but a photo op.  The best environment for price discovery is the market place.  

If they can offer $9.95 internet service then they can afford to offer $6/$8 limited emergency Mobile services. If these plans are further discounted by referrals then they are also profiting from the plans maintained by the referrals. Telus has an ARMU at Public Mobile that is 6 times that of their traditional customer with Koodo or Telus services because of their online only mobile provider business model.

By providing traditional customers who have a voice, an income level and the resources to complain and/or change providers with lower priced, larger data bucket, feature rich plans that has eaten into the ARPU/ARMU Telus has chosen to profit off those who can least afford it and if that profit margin is not good enough then kicking them to the curb for the sake of corporate greed is just fine to them. They are already invisible numbers of society. If they cannot defend themselves and no one stands up to defend them rather the many who have no problem defending a corporation whose income rose to $5.2 billion last year.

From what little I know about those $10 internet plans, they are income tested.  Public Mobile does not use an income test for eligibility for the $15 plan.  Perhaps they should.  Bottom line is telecom services should not be used as a social program.  The ability of governments to fund social program comes from fostering a viable economy that can grow in excess of inflation.  Taking businesses to the woodshed is not helpful to the cause.  The pursuit of equality of outcome means everyone becomes have nots.  

RavingRaven

@softech wrote:

Let's face it, there is no "Price for Life" for anything, not just mobile services.  it is an unfair ask

Really? Ever heard of Sirius Radio and their lifetime service?

RavingRaven

@will13am wrote:

@RavingRaven wrote:

Public Mobile is walking a fine line to not be accused of targeting "vulnerable" groups of customers with its elimination of low cost plans and rewards bill discounts for existing customers. This could be considered discrimination and lay the groundwork for a human rights complaint and/or a CRTC complaint/hearing.

Again I am not trying to be heartless, it is a pretty big ask for telecoms to offer a fixed price plan that survives time and inflation.  The feds had their photo op with Roblaws and it led to nothing but a photo op.  The best environment for price discovery is the market place.  

If they can offer $9.95 internet service then they can afford to offer $6/$8 limited emergency Mobile services. If these plans are further discounted by referrals then they are also profiting from the plans maintained by the referrals. Telus has an ARMU at Public Mobile that is 6 times that of their traditional customer with Koodo or Telus services because of their online only mobile provider business model.

By providing traditional customers who have a voice, an income level and the resources to complain and/or change providers with lower priced, larger data bucket, feature rich plans that has eaten into the ARPU/ARMU Telus has chosen to profit off those who can least afford it and if that profit margin is not good enough then kicking them to the curb for the sake of corporate greed is just fine to them. They are already invisible numbers of society. If they cannot defend themselves and no one stands up to defend them rather the many who have no problem defending a corporation whose income rose to $5.2 billion last year.

@RavingRaven you remind me of my old friend in the Community Too bad she no longer participate.

@will13am has made a good point, this is not a sustainable charity.

Also, we need to understand this is not a state-owmed business. We should be glad there are still decent plans for the  "vulnerable" groups.   Plans were not up, $15 last year  is still $15 now.  If we need better plans for everyone, we should push government to really open up competition (not selling more spectrums to new owners first but  eventually allow them to be sold back to the Big 3)

@RavingRaven wrote:

RavingRaven

@softech wrote:

@RavingRaven 

I am not sure complains like this will stand.  Like other Tier 3, PM offers similar $15 plan. The legacy rewards helped many people a lot , but those were just perks that are not required by laws 

Also, PM is now offering $21/$19 plan, which is definitely better than the previous $25 (still offered by its peer).   

I don't know about that. But the great thing about targeting "vulnerable" groups of customers is they are the least able to stand up and defend themselves or reach out to the agencies that could advocate for them. If they lose their mobile services because it's just doubled in price (or more if they have referrals) then they have been cut off from modern society.

Inflation has taken a heavy toll on low and fixed income members of society. You may think $13 or $15 plans are cheap but paying full price for these users who maintain it for necessary contacts when they are on social assistance for example which in the Atlantic provinces averages about $600/month total going from a maximum $6/$8 to $13/$15 is the difference between having mobile service or not. These customers do not have a choice to change providers because Public Mobile's rewards bill discounts gave these types of customers the ability to have service period. Given the choice between emergency mobile service and up to a week's worth of food what would you choose?

Public mobile marketed their rewards program to gain these kind of customers but once they had to fufill these promises they are reneging on their marketing promises. That's the definition of deceptive marketing practices.

Edit: bold

@RavingRaven 

LoL,

you know why "They are not posting why is my card being charged my phone bill used to be $0"??   Some of them still have lots of Available funds built up from referrals and. they will still have free service for some time. 🙂

@RavingRaven 

I am not sure complains like this will stand.  Like other Tier 3, PM offers similar $15 plan. The legacy rewards helped many people a lot , but those were just perks that are not required by laws 

Also, PM is now offering $21/$19 plan, which is definitely better than the previous $25 (still offered by its peer).   

@softech wrote:

@will13am many of those $13/$15 subscribers have many referrals and they are either getting free service or just paying couple bucks only l, I guess that's why PM not putting as much attention to this price range now

I am not trying to pick on the minimalist customer, let's face it, inflation has turned $13/$15 into nothing.  It can barely buy a value meal at McDonald's these days.  When rewards reduce that price in half, these customers need to walk a mile in a pair of Telus shoes.  Would they be willing to a run a business like a charity?  

RavingRaven

@softech wrote:

@will13am many of those $13/$15 subscribers have many referrals and they are either getting free service or just paying couple bucks only l, I guess that's why PM not putting as much attention to this price range now

LOL.....know your audience. I can guarantee you that the vast majority of these customers do not have "many" referrals if any at all. None of the seniors that I know that have Public Mobile have referrals. Half of them don't even manage their account their family does it for them.

This is further evidenced by the daily posts by customers just noticing their credit card has been charged a higher amount. They are not posting why is my card being charged my phone bill used to be $0?!! Most are reporting the loss of their loyalty and autopay reward discounts ($2+$5=$7) and maybe a couple of referrals.

yes @fixin1

$29-10Gb has been there for existing subscribers for sometimes. If I remember correctly, they have this better $29 plan for everyone before, but then PM no longer gives this goodies to us 

RavingRaven

@fixin1 

Thanks. That's what I wanted to know whether the $29/40GB plan was available for existing customers.

@fixin1 wrote:

@RavingRaven - The $29 is confusing, the 40GB is new activations only, but in My Account there is a 10GB $29 plan.

Realistically, for $5 more, might as well jump on 50GB Can/US plan. Just the smart move period.

fixin1

@will13am - I am actually going to see if a rural farmer (Friend) wants the plan for internet as Xplore is $80 and TELUS is $55 2yrs ($75 after) and starlink is $140.

The plan is that it should be 3G speeds (3mbps) but they may not care that they have 512kbps speeds. Wish PM would be the leader.

RavingRaven

@fixin1 wrote:

@RavingRaven - The $29 is confusing, the 40GB is new activations only, but in My Account there is a 10GB $29 plan.

Existing customer get 30GB less for the same money.  The $29 plan was 20GB at one time with option to go 90 days at $75 which I think is steal of a deal considering how customers were lining up for the $25/1GB plan when it was introduced not that long ago.  I would like a second chance at the $75/60GB/90 day plan.  

fixin1

@hTideGnow wrote:

thanks @fixin1 

put aside the upset from the old rewards system, PM has been great with its plans

There are a lot of $13/$15 customers that are not smiling these days.  I think the reward system change was directed at those accounts.  For the more expensive plans, the price reduction has neutralized the $7 reward reduction.  

@RavingRaven wrote:

@fixin1 

Thanks. So only the $15 and $21 plans are unavailable to existing customers?

I would like to see the $75/60GB/90 day plan make a comeback.  

fixin1

@hTideGnow - Yes, PM has been at or even beating the competition with their plans, aside from some of Freedom's plans, PM is great (Excluding the removal of legacy rewards system)

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

To each their own, but I really have problems understanding the value of unlimited throttled data.  It is only possible to consume large amounts of data doing data intensive activities.  How can this work at the heavily throttled data speed?  For example, I probably consume as much data using antenna pod as any app.  A typical download is 100+ Mbytes.  The playback time for the podcast might be shorter than the download time at the throttled data speed, lol.  

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

thanks @fixin1 

put aside the upset from the old rewards system, PM has been great with its plans

Need Help? Let's chat.