cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMS texts not viewable

wolfcruise
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Why is it that MMS messages do not come though instantly as a viewable text message ? I keep my data switched off to preserve it while I am around wifi. I do not wish for software updates etc .. to come through each and every time I switch my data on to view a few MMS messages. Is there no way around it ?

10 REPLIES 10

mobileguy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi hTideGnow, I am sure I am sending MMS messages.  These are text messages with pictures.  I am running Android and using the Messages app.  Here is a sample of the setting option that I have on my phone.9440AE0B-9CB7-4AF3-8705-CA6BAD4E0387.jpeg

@mobileguy- Yes, some phones have a setting that will let it quickly switch in and out of cell data to do the MMS.

HI @mobileguy 

maybe you were sending RCS or iMessage?  Mobile data must be on for MMS.  MMS is a provider protocol and wifi won't send.  You must be sending RCS or iMessage and not MMS

mobileguy

I keep data off and I'm able to send and receive MMS messages.  I have the Pixel 3a which has a settings option that allows me to do this.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@wolfcruise 

Data must be enabled to send/recieve MMS. Proper management of mobile data usage by way of the data usage tools available to you in the settings of your phone can ensure minimal usage. Android is easier to manage than iPhone but each offer their own unique features. This post has tips on limiting data usage that expands on the suggestions above by @dust2dust .

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Data/td-p/688012#M460724

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Your phone should have options to only allow OS and app updates when on wifi. There might also be an option to not let it go to cell data when out of wifi range. Then apps can be set to not use background data.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@wolfcruise wrote:

Why is it that MMS messages do not come though instantly as a viewable text message ? I keep my data switched off to preserve it while I am around wifi. I do not wish for software updates etc .. to come through each and every time I switch my data on to view a few MMS messages. Is there no way around it ?

@wolfcruise 

For MMS message, data must be toggled "ON" to receive and send.  It's just the way MMS is designed.  It DOESN'T consume data towards your allotment of data, so no worries.

If you use an iPhone, you can use iMessage to send/receive messages and pictures/videos with only wi-fi enabled, even with data turned off.

Coverhiro

@wolfcruise MY experience is that data is necessary for MMS messages. I can send regular texts using  SMS when I turn off data, but it's just straight text without any multimedia.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

DATA has to be on in order to receive/send MMS even though such action will Not use your data allowance.

But some pesky apps might sneak into Internet while receiving/sending MMS.

No way around.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@wolfcruise MMS needs Data turned on in order to receive it. You can keep your data turned on, and individually disable data for apps. 

Need Help? Let's chat.