cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for plan WITHOUT texting

Dobson
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm looking for a mobile plan with a small amount of data that allows for making calls but does not include texting. I'm looking at the plans here and it seems that they all include texting. Does public mobile allow for creating custom "a la carte" plans somehow?

I see that Fido offers something that seems to be what I'm looking for, but I would prefer to stay with Public Mobile.

9 REPLIES 9

Meow
Mayor / Maire

@xiv wrote:

I may be late to this conversation, seeing the timestamps and accepted solution, but I would like to contribute here nonetheless.

Great piece of info. I appreciate it; and maybe somebody else will do.

I do not consider SMS distraction. Most likely it will be easy to suppress SMS on modern smart phones. Never tried, though.

Benefit of having/using SMS is that you can stealthy communicate with other party without disturbing people around you. PARTICULARLY if you turn that keyboard feedback - click, click, click... For me, most annoying is listening to somebody's else for example in grocery store, dr. office, library, etc. without ability to avoid it.

SMS gives you ability to communicate in nice quiet way.

xiv
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I may be late to this conversation, seeing the timestamps and accepted solution, but I would like to contribute here nonetheless.

As @Meow says, "I doubt you will find a plan without SMS ability." However, you can find a phone without SMS ability.

For folks looking to avoid SMS at all costs while staying mobile, I would suggest you look into the Sunbeam Wireless F1 flip phone lineup. One of their models, the "Dandelion", is especially tailored to be voice-only, with nothing else whatsoever. The phone will ignore incoming SMS messages and does not have the ability to send them, except for a generic answer explaining that the phone doesn't handle SMS. It doesn't have a camera either. No web browser, no email, no apps. Definitely not suited to everyone as of 2022, but the disconnectors amongst us will probably enjoy it. They also offer two other models with progressively more features, but it's still a flip phone designed to keep the internet out of your life.

Competitors for these kinds of phones are the so-called "kosher phones", which are really fine-tuned to avoid distractions as much as possible while allowing you to be reached. Those phones exist, and are available if you look hard enough.

Regards,

-xiv

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Dobson Lol, good luck with that! Texts cost nothing and most people now use IM apps like FB, WhatsApp and Instagram messenger. Nearly all modern cell phone plans come with texting built in. Just think of it as a "bonus" feature.

@Yummy Well said!

Meow
Mayor / Maire

I doubt you will find a plan without SMS ability.

If PM plan works for you and cost the same or less as competitors' consider SMS/MMS as bonus.

I find SMS priceless particularly while grocery shopping; it is way easier to ask significant one do we need this or that as you come along an item which is at store sale (not in flyer) than to call; particularly if there are many such items as you go through the store...

Embrace texting and you will not be sorry. Just turn keyboard audio feedback off (SO ANNOYING) and enjoy SMS.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Texting can be useful if you want to communicate with somebody silently (assuming you turned notification off for SMS).

Do you like those people (grocery store lineup, doctor's office, etc.) who HAVE to talk all the time and HAVE to talk loud so everybody hears they HAVE a phone???

Some people are not so good with spoken languages so texting is ideal even if typed with spelling errors, bad grammar, etc.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dobson 

my suggestion is for $25 is the best plan for now
500 MB Data¹ at 3G speed
+BONUS 500 MB
with AutoPay
Unlimited
Canada-wide minutes
Unlimited
International Text and Picture Messaging,

with all rewards you will getting from public mobile for your payment is still lower.....

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Dobson 

PM stopped offering build-it-yourself plan a couple of years ago.

I assume that you are looking for data only plan and use VoIP for calls. What is your budget and how much data you need?

If a PM plan meet your budget and data requirements, just do not use the text in your plan and it is cheaper to stay with PM long term with the autopay and loyalty rewards. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dobson : I was a bit of a hold out with texting. I gradually saw the value of it for quick little informative messages. Conversations are still ridiculous to me but people do. So give it a chance. Kids these days barely have email addresses anymore and if they do they don't monitor them for that speed of response.

This place used to have a build your own plan that could exclude texting, but the price became higher due to not "bundling" as many features.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Dobson wrote:

I'm looking for a mobile plan with a small amount of data that allows for making calls but does not include texting. I'm looking at the plans here and it seems that they all include texting. Does public mobile allow for creating custom "a la carte" plans somehow?

I see that Fido offers something that seems to be what I'm looking for, but I would prefer to stay with Public Mobile.

PM only has the $15 plan with talk (100 outgoing mins),unlimited text and a small bucket of data. No ala carte here ...yet.

edit; with an active PM $15 plan you can also consider talk add-on ($5 / 500minutes of Canada wide calling)...in case your 100 minutes of talk run out. Any unused add-on minutes will roll over until you use them up.

Need Help? Let's chat.