cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long distance international charges

Brett24
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

If I call someone in Canada from the United States, whose carrier will get charged? Mine as the caller, them as the receiver or both of us? I have unlimited minutes for calls for the next 11 days. I just want to make sure they won’t get charged 

6 REPLIES 6

@HALIMACS wrote:

@Brett24 

Now, if the receiver has a kind of plan that has limited INCOMING minutes (probably a thing of the past), answering the call will count against their limited minute allotement.

@HALIMACS 

I know, I'm nitpicking here... In Canada, incoming calls are treated the same, whereever they originate (since the person initiating the call is paying for the call). So, no extra charges for incoming calls originating outside of Canada?

There are providers that operate as pure pay-as-you-go providers and still charge for "airtime", so if customers connect to the network (whether they initiate or accept a call) their minutes are charged against their "available funds" or their monthly plan minutes. (SpeakOut, PetroCan Mobile spring to mind, there might be others.)

@HALIMACS wrote:

@Brett24 

As far as I'm aware, it's always the one who initiates the call whose subject to charges.

The receiver would never be subject to charges.

Now, if the receiver has a kind of plan that has limited INCOMING minutes (probably a thing of the past), answering the call will count against their limited minute allotement.

That's true if the OP is calling another Public Mobile customer.  However, if the OP is calling someone at another carrier who has a plan that only includes local calling, it is possible for the the receiver to need to pay long distance, but only if the call is answered outside of the local calling area of the receiving phone number (while it still never makes any difference for the receiver where the outgoing caller is calling from).

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Brett24 

As far as I'm aware, it's always the one who initiates the call whose subject to charges.

The receiver would never be subject to charges.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

In order to call from USA you have to buy PM US add-on (calls).

You will have unlimited calls with such add-on.

Your unlimited minutes are only to call in Canada, nothing else.

If somebody Else is calling you from anywhere - THEY will be charged unless they have some kind of international/unlimited plan.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Brett24 you cannot call FROM US to Canada without a US roaming addon.   But if you have the US roaming Talk, the go ahead, it will only used from your US toaming, the receiving end in Canada won't got charged 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

edited;

will you have the PM Roaming add-on ? The person you call in Canada won't be charged anything if you call them from US with that add-on.

Need Help? Let's chat.