cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ios 18 satellite messaging

Nalyd
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Does public mobile support sms via satellite with the latest iPhones with ios18? 

10 REPLIES 10

Markaps
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Nalyd  Must have been SMS as the chat bubble was green.

Nalyd

@Markaps Interesting, I'll have to try again. Was that via iMessage, or sms?

Markaps
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Nalyd I tried it yesterday, worked for me.

@Nalyd wrote:

But I also see “To use SMS messaging via satellite, your carrier must support it” in that list. 

HI @Nalyd 

I just added that to my post above, and check the 2 other conditions I added

but important thing is iMessage is not carrier dependent

Nalyd

But I also see “To use SMS messaging via satellite, your carrier must support it” in that list. 

Hey @Nalyd 

hey, when you tested it, where were you? you notice that:  "location must have no cellular or wifi coverage?

Also, I found this line: iMessage via satellite is not carrier dependent but SMS is.

and where you got your iPhone?.  Satellite connectivity isn’t offered on iPhone models purchased in Armenia, Belarus, China mainland, Hong Kong, Macao, Kazakhstan, and Russia

HI @Nalyd 

i think you are correct, I don't see it needs a particular provider, it said you just need an active sim card
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/120930#:~:text=Messages%20via%20satellite%20availability,cellular%20....

Nalyd

Well I was out today and gave it a try, but failed to send. So talking to Apple and they said it’s not supported with all carriers. I didn’t realize it had anything to do with carrier

slusagm
Mayor / Maire

no @Nalyd 

PM is a tier 3 service provider and you likely don't see the latest and greatest features here.  If you need this, check with Telus instead.  The latest features also start with Telus

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

@Nalyd wrote:

Does public mobile support sms via satellite with the latest iPhones with ios18? 

Hey @Nalyd 

SELF EDIT: So, I just did a quick read up cause I did read about this before and it's more iPhone related than provider related. You have to purchase a brand new iPhone and you get 2 years of the service through Apple free. So I'm not going to say it's not provider related. Go give it a try and let us know. 🙂

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/120930

Need Help? Let's chat.