cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In app and third party billing.

ross_and_marita
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Does public allow in app or third party phone billed purchases or have a way to block them?

We are with Koodo now and keep getting charges for things we never signed up for and when we call to put block on these types of charges they refuse to do so and say we replied to a text with a verification code, and they tell us the 4 digit code. We know they are fraudulent as the third time being frustrated with koodo I let my battery drain and left it dead for 2 months without turning it on. And charges appeared on my bill again, so I called and they provided verification code I texted to sign up and the date I supposedly texted this verification code to signed up..well guess what my phone was not on any wheres near that date and time. It had already been off for 48 days. They say I'm lieing. So I'm done with them. Im also pretty sure they can tell when my phone is connected to the network.

So I'm looking to see if I will have this problem with public.

19 REPLIES 19

@ross_and_marita 

No this will not happen at public mobile. The only additional charges over and above your plan amount can only occur in your self serve account by you confirming and submitting it or by calling 611 and entering your 4 digit account pin #.

Autopay is only allowed to attempt a one time charge every 30 days to your registered credit card for any outstanding amount of your prepaid plan charge. If you top up your account ahead of renewal with your plan amount autopay will not charge your card. There is no pre-authorization at pm.

What is the shortcode that this subscribed $4.99 payment is coming from? Try texting UNSUBSCRIBE to the shortcode in question. That should stop any further charges from occurring.

If you decide to port your numbers over to pm send me a private message (sooner rather than later) and I will provide you with all of the ways to maximize your savings with the likely upcoming holiday promotions.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Best thing with PM is everything is very clear up front: no extra charges, no hidden fees, no surprises... when you use user quota of minutes/data you are cut off. No 'every MB over is $50', etc. No ads - buy this and that to have easy life and empty pocket...

I am reading this thread:

https://community.koodomobile.com/billing-66726/application-store-service-7803029

Learned 2 things:

1. Koodo will provide you an email to contact

Yes, the email could be fake or maybe no one will reply, but at least press Koodo for an email.  And maybe you can share the email here and we try to help

2. If you check your text, maybe you can find out which text you subscribed by mistakes and they do have a way to stop.  At least someone in that thread able to stop it 

(and are your charges related to Beyond VR?)

@ross_and_marita wrote:

It's not on my credit card, it's on my Koodo bill under data usage, charge say in app purchase $4.99

did you figure out which app is charging it?  You never mention what app is that.. not sure if you don't know either.  

And look like Koodo really does not have to tell you what in-app purchase was that.. this is from another thread in Koodo Community 9 months ago:

Any ‘In-App purchase’ is a third party service and we don’t have access to more information about them other than what shows on the Koodo bill. These purchases can be done in the App Store, Google Play store, via SMS, etc.

@BKNS27 wrote:

@ross_and_marita 

I would suggest you go into a Koodo store and question the charges.

Also inquire about the 3rd party app.

it could be hard for a Koodo store to help.  This is something that needs to talk to the billing support.  Usually store only care about new activation.

And in this case, it sounds like OP did accept a text and allow Koodo to charge on behalf and sound like Koodo is just like a middleman.  Just like in the old days, you accepted a collect-call, you cannot go back and decline the charge (of course in this case, the "collect-app" charge is a reoccurring one) 

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

PM is prepaid service so there are no additional charges other than the plan and bought add-ons.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The OP asked if this place does anything like apparently Koodo does and was answered long ago. No. Yes they need to take that complaint to Koodo.

@ross_and_marita wrote:

It's not on my credit card, it's on my Koodo bill under data usage, charge say in app purchase $4.99

@ross_and_marita  The simplest no hassle way of the rigamarole with Koodo is to port out your Koodo number to another carrier. That will automatically close your Koodo account while keeping your current phone number. 

As noted, prepaid plans have the advantage of being immune to this type of charge while having other shortcomings, such as no international roaming plans.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ross_and_marita 

i suggest you to contact to credit card and change your number and told them to do open a dispute and the back give your money back better way and fast....

just to you know for public is not allow in app or third party phone billed purchases,

at public mobile 30 day Prepaid Service No fees extra charges,

and you are free to Contact public mobile Customer Support Agent  by send Message CS_Agent, let them check it out for your account, but something wrong with your device and try to do backup and factory reset,

what device brand you have !! and what app name !! maybe you do subscription something you never know, 

@ross_and_marita 

I would suggest you go into a Koodo store and question the charges.

Also inquire about the 3rd party app.

@ross_and_marita wrote:

@ross_and_marita   If the charges in question are billed as Koodo, then you need to contact customer support at Koodo.  This is not PM's issue from what I can see.

ross_and_marita

@ross_and_marita wrote:

Wasn't an app, they said I signed up with my cell number, then replied to a text with a 4 digit code to confirm.   Charge just says in app purchase. 

There are some fraud using such scheme.. so, who is getting the money in the end?  You might see Koodo on the credit card for that charge , but Koodo is just a "Middle-man" , they charged you because you authenticate a charge to3rd party.  Honest in this case, Koodo could be innocent.  

I would agree using a Pre-paid service could resolve your issue.  PM does not help 3rd party to collect money (no collect-calls or "collect-subscription" in your case).  

But before you are happily coming to PM, I just want you to be aware that both Koodo and PM are owned by Telus.  Good thing is that your phone will work on this network without issue and you can enjoy the same good coverage.  Bad thing might be if you are upsetting with Koodo now, changing to PM means you are giving your money to the same Enterprise  🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ross_and_marita : Neither Koodo or PM have apps. So there's no such thing as in-app purchasing. Maybe your payment card is internally defining it as that kind of charge.

The only continuing charges here are for autopay renewals. Otherwise, nothing gets charged for anything. (you asked about here...I'm not talking about what Koodo might do)

Were you on Koodo prepaid or postpaid? Do other added on features get automatically charged or renewed with Koodo postpaid?

I suspect your payment card has been compromised.

ross_and_marita

Wasn't an app, they said I signed up with my cell number, then replied to a text with a 4 digit code to confirm.   Charge just says in app purchase. 

ross_and_marita

We will be going to small claims, But that doesn't stop the charges. I need a provider that allows blocking or doesn't allow at all. 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@ross_and_marita wrote:

Does public allow in app or third party phone billed purchases or have a way to block them?

PM is a prepaid service and hence no surprise billing

But how you got into that situation?  was it an app you accidentally downloaded? what kind of app was that?

t_p
Mayor / Maire

@ross_and_marita wrote:

We are with Koodo now and keep getting charges for things we never signed up for and when we call to put block on these types of charges they refuse to do so and say we replied to a text with a verification code, and they tell us the 4 digit code. We know they are fraudulent as the third time being frustrated with koodo I let my battery drain and left it dead for 2 months without turning it on. And charges appeared on my bill again, so I called and they provided verification code I texted to sign up and the date I supposedly texted this verification code to signed up..well guess what my phone was not on any wheres near that date and time. It had already been off for 48 days. They say I'm lieing. So I'm done with them. Im also pretty sure they can tell when my phone is connected to the network.

So I'm looking to see if I will have this problem with public.

@ross_and_marita 

Have you tried filing a complaint with CCTS?

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@ross_and_marita You can't be charged for in app purchases at Public Mobile. It won't let you buy and you can't owe money at Public Mobile.

Need Help? Let's chat.