cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I just started my grandfather (12GB per 3 month) billing cycle, but want to upgrade to $40 /15GB /mo

Francis_C
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just started by billing cycle two days ago, but I just browse about the new plans here.

If I upgrade to $40 / 15GB plan LTE now, will I be double charged?

for the new plan, will the price increase automatically in the future just like any other Carrier like Fido, Telus?

8 REPLIES 8

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@Francis_C 

If you haven't used any data in your plan I would say it's worth a try to contact customer support and ask if they would be willing to change your plan for you. Be prepared for a "NO" but you won't know if you don't ask? If it's a no go then schedule a change plan on next renewal. Public mobile will honour the scheduled plan change even if they pull the plan from the "in market" plans page before your next renewal.

There are no "automatic" price increases at pm but they do reserve the right to apply a rate hike to a plan and inform you via text message, email or posting on the publicmobile.ca/plans page a minimum 30 days before it comes into effect as per their flexible terms of service.

These kind of rate hikes while rare have occurred 3 times in the past with only the February 2018 25% rate hike to the 2016 fall promo being rescinded. Last spring's 30% rate hike to the $10 50/50 legacy plan is the last time a rate hike was imposed. To remain competitive I don't see pm raising the price of the $40/15gb plan but never say never....?

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

I, personally, do not consider an immediate plan change the equivalent of being “double charged” (though I’ve read others put it that way)

Doubled charged means being charged twice for the same services.

An immediate plan change simply starts everything over while the prior plan cycle ends, and is forfeited.

Sure it may feel like being double charged, but it’s not really.

Not only is changing on next renewal a wiser option, but it also doesn’t forfeit the application of renewal rewards.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI@Francis_C  , yes, as everyone said , you need to use Change Plan on renewal date option to avoid "double charge"

Basically if you use Change Plan now (not advised), PM will start the new plan  now.  They will not pro-rated back the unused days of the time left for your remaining 3 months cycle.  If you run out of data and you need the data now, then yes to use Change plan now .  But if you are not , then wait till end of this current 3 months cycle. 

Also, with Change plan now, no rewards will be applied on this change  plan now payment.  But if you use Change plan on renewal date, PM will apply the "monthly" rewards as usual  (and remember, the amount of the rewards will be different as when you were on 3 months plan, you get the rewards for 3 months)

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

planupgrade.jpg

@Francis_C..

best is to select "Change plan on renewal date". That way, you won't be billed until next renewal...you won't lose what you've already paid for.

Between now and then you have the option to change your mind and cancel the new plan w/o penalty.

@Tsawwassen wrote:

YES - you would be double charged - I just went through this with PM Customer Support - the wise option tis to enable switch to new plan on renewal date. Hope this helps.

The above is ture if the custoemr uses the immediate change option. All customers to have the option to scheduled the change for the future renewal date so that the additional charge can be avoided.

@Francis_C wrote:

I just started by billing cycle two days ago, but I just browse about the new plans here.

If I upgrade to $40 / 15GB plan LTE now, will I be double charged?

for the new plan, will the price increase automatically in the future just like any other Carrier like Fido, Telus?

If an immediate plan change is done, any time remaining on the 90-day plan will be lost and there will be no refund/nocredit given for the time remaining.  The full $40 of the new plan would also be due immediately.

The plan change can be pre-scheduled for the date when the 90-day plan would have otherwise renewed.  When that method is used, there wouldn't be any overlap in plan payments.  Please be aware that it isn't enough to just change the plan manually on the renewal date, as for there to be no extra charges, the plan change must be done using the schduled change option.

Tsawwassen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

YES - you would be double charged - I just went through this with PM Customer Support - the wise option tis to enable switch to new plan on renewal date. Hope this helps.

Need Help? Let's chat.