cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi, I've just activated a $25 per month public Mobile plan and I still have no data

SCFurlong
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I activated my $25 per month public Mobile plan last night at around 9 a.m. . Before I went to bed, my phone was sending and receiving SMS and I was able to call and take calls. As of 12 p.m. today I am still unable to send MMS messages and I do not have any data. I tried everything that I could find in the community to no avail. I've confirmed on my account that there is 3 GB of data remaining, I've triple checked my APN settings, I've reset my network settings and I restarted my phone more times than I can count. My phone is an LG G4, admittedly old but it used to work on the public mobile network and I'm currently waiting for delivery of my rugged phone.

I recall having the same issue when I initially set up this phone a couple of years ago. At that time, it involved somebody doing something inside the public mobile network and my issue was fixed. I guess I'm looking for that help again.

Thanks in advance

49 REPLIES 49

SCFurlong

Oh gosh, don't say that I ordered a ulefone Armor 12 as my rugged phone.

SCFurlong

Nothing else is working so I may have to do a factory reset this evening. I've changed the APN settings as some have suggested, restarted my phone, reset network data settings, etc and data is still not working. I wish my new phone was here already so I wouldn't have to fool with this old thing.

@SCFurlong 

As previously mentioned older LG phones almost always need a factory reset.

SCFurlong

Cell data is on. All settings have been confirmed I'm changed two different types of settings as suggested by other community members. This phone used to work on public mobile and up until last night it was working on the Virgin Mobile network.

SCFurlong

I don't have another phone to check. This is my old phone, new phone got damaged and another is on the way but is not going to be here for three weeks. Mobile network is set to auto.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@SCFurlong : Indeed. There are a couple versions of MMS Proxy with MMS Port. Sometimes APN Type can be blank or a couple variables or a whole set. And a couple versions of MVNO value. Other references might also suggest a few other fields as blank but these are the main ones.

@SCFurlong 

There are slightly different APN settings that work for pm. Those are from my moto g7+.

SCFurlong

These are not the same settings listed on the public mobile website or the same settings as was suggested by Simon. I'll try them I guess.

@Yummy 

Other than older LG phones and international versions especially Chinese made phones like Umidigi I would iPhones are more troublesome as a whole because of the way Apple designs the carrier updates requiring connection to wifi to set up data among other things.

Edit:

I read that as most troublesome?😀

@Yummy    Motorola is the most trouble free when switching providers, I've found personally.

@hTideGnow wrote:

LG is a bit tricky when used on a different network.

Since you mentioned this, which phone brand (Android only) is the most trouble free in terms of settings and switching providers?

@hTideGnow 

Is there an echo in here?😃

@Yummy 

Switching to 3G won't fix this as MMS can use either network. This is an APN issue.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@SCFurlong   Please do a network reset first.

It is very common for LG phone that need a network fresh after changing to a new network.

If it still does not work, you might also want to Factory reset your phone.  LG is a bit tricky when used on a different network.

@SCFurlong 

Did a moderator (now a CSA) text you a configuration file? Was it right after you activated? Has your LG 4 been used with a different provider since then?

Everything else works but data...

Any chance to test your SIM in some other phone since you mentioned you had issue with your phone before?

- Change the network to 3G

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@SCFurlong 

After you successfully factory reset your phone you can edit/add and save the following APN to your phone.

Name

Mobile Internet

APN

sp.mb.com

Proxy

Not set

Port

Not set

Username

Not set

Password

Not set

Server

Not set

MMSC

http://aliasredirect/proxy/mb/mmsc

MMS proxy

mmscproxy.mobility.ca

MMS port

MCC

MNC

Authentication type

Not set

APN type

default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri

APN protocol

IPv4

APN roaming protocol

IPv4

APN enable/disable

APN enabled

Bearer

Unspecified

MVNO type

GID

MVNO value

4D4F

@SCFurlong 

You can try a network reset but the bad news is you probably have to back up your data and do a factory reset. This is a known issue with LG phones.

t_p
Mayor / Maire

@SCFurlong 

Could you post a screenshot of your overview page?

Edit: Your cell data is not off by accident, right?

Need Help? Let's chat.