cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anybody on public mobile used the reduced speed on the 5G plans?

Proxima
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

if so, how do you find it to be? do you like it? Is it useable?

i’m planning to burn through all of my data during the last week before I have to renew my subscription 

20 REPLIES 20

@rabbisoft- Did you ever get around to do a speed test on this throttled speed? And do you have good solid bars or only one or two?
I noticed later today that the line above the green bar says 512. So a speed test would be good. Do them all day long in several places if you like...it's unlimited 🙂

HI @rabbisoft 

what speed you phone? iPhone or Android? if IPhone, change to 5G always insted of 5G Auto to test

rabbisoft
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have tried it, and it seems that there hasn't been any improvement in the internet speed.

@rabbisoft  Ouch good catch wow . The plot thickens 

Adding and it says buy add ins at the bottom of that message , didn’t think you could buy add ins for unlimited plans either . Something strange here @rabbisoft shold be 512kbps 

rabbisoft

According to the screenshot of my usage, the fine print clearly states that the speed will be limited to 256kbps. I am unaware of the reason for this inconsistency with the previous promotion on the official website.

rabbisoft_0-1694699218502.png

@rabbisoft  Interesting thanks  for sharing and be sure to try @esjliv  tip to see if that helps . Fingers crossed 

rabbisoft

Yes, just one of the unlimited 5G plans. 

@rabbisoft try toggle in/out of airplane mode, see if that helps.

Some info. here if this helps also: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ns/get-help/articles/speed-tiers

@rabbisoft  And you in one of the unlimited 5G plans not the CAN /US 5G plan 

rabbisoft

I am on a 5G plan, and after exhausting my high-speed data allocation, the speed is supposed to be limited to 512kbps according to the initial agreement. However, I've noticed that the speed is now capped at 256kbps, which is significantly slower. It's becoming difficult to even load Google Maps, and I can't help but feel deceived by this discrepancy.

SlickToxic
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Interested in the reduced unlimited speeds.

Any news?

Click on the little down arrow in the upper right of the reply with the solution and remove the solution. Then choose a different reply.

Proxima

I meant to pick your answer as the green checkmark. But I accidentally clicked on the wrong post

@Proxima  That’s great to hear . Hopefully the 512 kbps will be ok then 

@Proxima 

oh, you meant the reduced speed at 512Kbps (i thought you were on 4G plan and was asking about the thottled speed on 5G when someone is on non-5G plan)

512Kbps would be ok to read basic websites, not the fancy one

Checking email is usually ok because email download is usually not a lot

Maybe you can report to the Community about your experience later

Proxima

I tried Freedom’s reduced speeds of 258kbps and it wasn’t completely horrible- I couldn’t watch law resolution videos without struggle- but it was fine for simple websites and forums.. but since Public is almost double the speed I’m sure it will be more useable for low resolution videos.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Proxima  .I haven’t  personally but 512k!ps doesn’t sound to fast . Please report back to us and let us know 

@Proxima 

so, you have 5G plan now?

and what speed you are getting when connected to 4G? how about 5G?

Proxima

thankfully everything works fine where I am. But the speeds of 5G are slower than advertised.. only  about 50megs faster than 4G for speed tests. im not disappointed about that because it if fast enough..

I’m more curious of how the reduced speeds will be once i get there 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Proxima 

you can leave it with Automatic ( or 5G Auto on iPhone) and let the phone switch to 5G for ou when needed. 

You have issue with LTE where you are now?

Need Help? Let's chat.