cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got a message saying 75% of data used - for the first time!

yassara
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi all! I’m on a 5G data plan… I’m a courrier, and use it for hours a day, every day, and I’ve never received a message before saying that I’ve used 75% of data!

But today I got that message for the first time!

What’s the deal?

Is there something wrong with the data today?

9 REPLIES 9

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@yassara wrote:

Hi all! I’m on a 5G data plan… I’m a courrier, and use it for hours a day, every day, and I’ve never received a message before saying that I’ve used 75% of data!

What’s the deal?

Data usage warning notifications are never sent if there is any data add-ons present on your account on top of the base amount. Maybe you finally used up all of your data add-ons, and are now on only base data allotment.

Call it a bug, but it's been like this since at least Summer 2019.

@Triguy The GPS part, even in the article is a bit misleading. GPS does not use data. Downloading the moving maps uses data. Refining your location with "location services" on your phone uses data. It mentions google maps not using data if you download the maps first for use "offline". You still have to use your GPS with this for it to work in real time. This is no different than any map program. I have CoPilot with maps downloaded on my phone for free. It uses no data at all. Same with Maps.me, download free maps and the GPS on your phone uses zero data. I have used all three ways mentioned above on my phone with data turned off. The key is having the maps available on your phone.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Make sure you disable auto updates for apps and turn off GPS. Check your usage in your self serve account to see your usage history.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/managing-your-data-usage

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@yassara just check your self-service account. The correct number of your data usage are there. Perhaps, you really did used up 75%, or maybe the message was a mistake. Simply check your online account.

@yassara wrote:

What’s the deal?

Without knowing how you use your device and how much you usually use, nobody here can tell you if this is that much out of the ordinary. Chances are that the data was used in the background. If your renewal was recently, there's a small chance that the counters might not have been reset properly.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@yassara 

Login to your self-serve account and check on the data usage line.

I have used 4801MB out of 5GB data.  But today is my last date of my current cycle.

5GB at 3G Speed
4801.691  /  5120 MB

Options to get more data:
1. If your current data limit does not meet your 30 days' need, you may change a plan with more data. You can do the plan from self-serve. You get your data back immediately with plan change.  PM is prepaid service.  There is no refund for the unused days.
2. If you want to renew the same plan early, you need to create a moderator support ticket using this link https://publicmobile.ca.ada.support/chat/. Moderator wait time is couple hours to 2 days. If your next renewal date is up to 2 days away, you may just on data diet for a few days until after renewal.
3. You can buy data add-ons $15 1GB data or $5 200MB data. Expensive option

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@yassara wrote:

What’s the deal?

@yassara   Log into your self serve account and see how much data is left under My Data/Add-ons in your overview page.  If you think you've not used the amount that shows there maybe check what apps maybe responsible.  Perhaps a new app or some changes on your phone are responsible.

If you're close to your renewal date you can purchase 1GB data add-on for $15 to tide you over until renewal, otherwise consider changing to the $50 plan which gives you 8GB data if your current plan data isn't enough for your needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@yassara 

Really? Of all your data buckets, you have used 75% of it all. You'll get another one at 95%. Then your data will stop.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Hi @yassara ,

Have you been using a new phone recently? 

Or perhaps new apps installed that may be using data in the back ground?

Check your usage history and see where/when you are getting hit most.

Also, just checking, does your self serve show 75% used? This is the more accurate source to go by. If you have not reached 75%, then just ignore the message.

Tips on managing data:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/managing-your-data-usage

Need Help? Let's chat.