cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting extremely slow LTE data speeds after activating new service today

puddls
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just switched to Public today from another carrier and successfully activated on an iPhone XR with eSIM. My subscription gives me 30GB at 5G speed up to 250mbps. 

However, I'm getting extremely slow LTE speeds, even slower than 3G (see images below).

IMG_1739.PNGIMG_1737.PNG

I've tried restarting my phone, configuring APN settings, and resetting network settings as per chatbot advice. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

13 REPLIES 13

Amped
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

How is signal quality affected by using an eSIM vs a physical one? Do you have a source for that?  I'm using eSIM btw and get 250mbps on 5g or LTE.

@puddls 

For updating carrier profile, try this

1. Make sure that your device is connected to Wi-Fi or a cellular network.
  2. Tap Settings > General > About.
  3. Follow the onscreen instructions to install your carrier update.

@puddls 

is there a particular reason you decided to use an esim? I would advise against using esim here, there is not enough support and they have a horrible implementation of it. also signal quality on an esim is typically inferior to a physical sim

puddls

I was never prompted to download any carrier profiles when I installed the eSIM. Where can I get them?

puddls

Signal is strong, usually 3 or 4 bars. Tried in another nearby location with similar results. I'm on 4G.

puddls

Will try this, thank you.

puddls

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, selecting Automatic vs manually selecting Public Mobile doesn't have any affect on the speeds.

puddls

Yeah, these tests were run at home but I also tested 9Mbps at a restaurant nearby. Will keep monitoring in other areas but what a bummer. I might have to switch back to my previous carrier who provided a much better service in my area.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @puddls 

do you have the latest Carrier Profiles?  Check and update it.  Then try  Reset network settings, and try in different locations.  Also, try with different phones

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

How's your signal? Have you tried in different locations? Are you connected to 5G or 4G? Try both. I prefer 4G even though I have a 5G plan. 

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@puddls 

you can ask customer support to reset the network on their end. include as much info as possible as it is not an instant chat type of communication. tell them about your data speeds and that you would like them to reset the network on their end

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

*customer support doesn't always respond promptly. please be patient and check your inbox every few hours to see if there is a response

CSA are available from
- Monday to Friday: 6AM- 10PM EST
- Saturday and Sunday: 6AM- 10PM EST  

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Try this. Can't say it will work but worth a shot.

Go into Settings, Network Selection, turn off automatic and pick Public Mobile. Reboot the phone. Then try a test again. Report back.

@puddls wrote:

Just switched to Public today from another carrier and successfully activated on an iPhone XR with eSIM. My subscription gives me 30GB at 5G speed up to 250mbps. 

However, I'm getting extremely slow LTE speeds, even slower than 3G (see images below).

IMG_1739.PNGIMG_1737.PNG

I've tried restarting my phone, configuring APN settings, and resetting network settings as per chatbot advice. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Unfortunately, changes to APN settings woudln't help as those simply provide instructions to the device on how to connect to data.    There woudln't really much that can be done about these speeds other than to try in a different location.  I suspect that the data network is congested where it was tested in your screenshots.

Need Help? Let's chat.