cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a New Number and Porting Old Number

moyoonthego
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

If I port my existing number with Public to another provider can I still use my same Sim and get a new number and keep my existing rewards?

9 REPLIES 9

@BeachNBeer    Interesting that you weren't able to as some posters have reported that they were able to do just that since the numbers were still staying within the Telus family. 

Of course, it's always YMMV but I think if one customer is being accommodated then it should be available for all others too.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Porting your PM number out will close (delete) your current PM account. If you would late want to come back, you would need new SIM and start from 0. PM has 'no returning customers' option.

BeachNBeer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@HALIMACS  No they won't let you. I've tried many times. I want my Koodo number on PM and PM on Koodo. Not possible. Even talked with Koodo loyalty as I've had Koodo for many years.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@moyoonthego 

We're not supposed to suggest this, however if the new provider is either Koodo or TELUS, you may be able to work something out with them in conjunction with the customer support agents here, given that they're all under the TELUS umbrella.

It'll really depend on the level of assistance they wish to provide.

Perhaps if you suggest you’ll consider a move to one of the competitors (Bell or Rogers or one of their subsidiaries) they'll be more apt to cooperate - know what I mean?

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@moyoonthego 

Why don’t you put the PM SIM in your other phone and get the other carrier SIM for the old phone?

That would work!

BeachNBeer

Would be nice. Unfortunately answer is no.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @moyoonthego   

No ,  Once the phone number is ported out , the PM account will be cancelled.  You cannot port out a number and then have the account for another number to take advantage of the reward. 

Also for the SIM, all  SIMs are one time used only.  It can be used for one activation only.  Once the account of the activated SIM is cancelled , the SIM is no longer useful

But, where are you trying to port your number to ?  Telus or Koodo?

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@moyoonthego wrote:

If I port my existing number with Public to another provider can I still use my same Sim and get a new number and keep my existing rewards?

@moyoonthego  - as soon as you  port your Public Mobile phone number to another provider your Public Mobile account closes, and you lose any rewards / available funds you may have in your account. You also lose access to your Self Serve account.

So, what you are asking to do is officially not possible.

EDIT: you can change your current Public Mobile phone number (4 times every 30 days if you wish) through your Self Serve account. But this means your number that you had is no longer yours and goes back to original owner of that number to be allocated to someone else down the road.

But, it sounds like you want to keep your current phone number, so this may not be what you are wanting to do.

0PX9O4

@moyoonthego 

In a word: No. Once you port out your number from PM, your SIM and account are permanently closed. You lose both the use of that SIM card, as well as any rewards (potential or current) in that existing account.

Need Help? Let's chat.