Proceed with caution,

Leave when opportunity presents, or

Fk this I am leaving?

44 REPLIES 44

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Civic_Ewrote:

@Michael77wrote:

I already jumped ship in late December.  I am currently a Rogers customer.  Their network seems to be similar to Telus and there are no issues to report. So far, their customer service has been good. I have a similar $40/4gig plan that Koodo is offering. If I would have known that Koodo was going to offer PM customers the same plan I would have stayed. I have no regrets though.  I am very happy that I have call centres, kiosks and stores. 🙂 

@Michael77How often do you have to use call centres, kiosks and stores? With prepaid plans...never. Technical issues...mods are pretty responsive (within their working hours) to resolve any issue.

It's not about how many times..... It's about having them when I need them. Rogers tech support is open 24 hours and there are way more customer service reps to support the customer. With my experience so far, the Rogers' service quality has been really good.

jonathan1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

i am extremely dissatisfied with Public Mobile's response and the overall strategy.  They do not seem to be interested in retentions.  I honestly do know know if moving forward, Public Mobile is "No Surprises", or "Subject To Change Without Notice".

If they had simply advertized the 12gb/90days last year as a 12 month promotion, at least the subscribers could have taken this into account.  If I had been told this at signup i probably would have picked another phone company.

I think the 90 days terms of the original contract benefits Public Mobile as much as it offers flexibility for its customers.  I didn't take the 10gb/30 days promos in December becuase of my 90 day prepayment.  The recent Public Moble price scare happened just after i had prepaid 90 days.  90 days limits the number of attractive limited-time promos available to Public Mobile customers, but this experience has shown me i should walk away from a prepaid balance in certain situations.

I realize i will never come out ahead with any of these mobile companies, but the most recent experience with Public Mobile has changed my expectations.  I will now be willing to walk away from 2 months of Public Mobile prepaid service if it lets me find another company to deal with.  

With the uproar and now official complaints in progress against Public Mobile, along with the enthusiasm in this community over the 12gb/90 days promo, I'd encourage Public Mobile to take the hint and make this extremely attractive plan available as a permanent promotion.   This is the plan that Canadians still want.  

Civic_E
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Michael77wrote:

I already jumped ship in late December.  I am currently a Rogers customer.  Their network seems to be similar to Telus and there are no issues to report. So far, their customer service has been good. I have a similar $40/4gig plan that Koodo is offering. If I would have known that Koodo was going to offer PM customers the same plan I would have stayed. I have no regrets though.  I am very happy that I have call centres, kiosks and stores. 🙂 

@Michael77How often do you have to use call centres, kiosks and stores? With prepaid plans...never. Technical issues...mods are pretty responsive (within their working hours) to resolve any issue.

uymai

personally, i'm going to split as soon as a slightly better or equivalent deal shows up somewhere, since they responded that they're not going to proceed with their price adjustment, and didn't mention adjusting the terms to eliminate the conflicting verbiage

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Civic_Ewrote:

@torontokriswrote:

@Korthwrote:

@Civic_Ewrote:

Interesting...Never thought about your 2nd comment...there is nothing stopping them to cancel the Fall Promo plan. They mentioned it will remain $120 as long as account is active. But they didn't mention that plan will be active as long as your account is active!!! hahaha.

CRTC Wireless Code says "If, during the commitment period, a service provider wishes to change other contract terms and conditions or the related documents, it must provide the account holder with at least 30 calendar days’ notice before making such changes."

So yes, PM could give 30 day notice, discontinue plans (and renewal of discontinued plans), and allow existing discontinued plans to run out after their (maximum 90 day) durations.  It's all they're strictly required to do.

But I've never seen any wireless carrier do this.  Being callous and belligerent to customers in a competitive service-based industry isn't just bad business, it's suicide.  They always provide exit options, alternative plans, incentives for staying on board.  They know that customers are going to shop at all the competitor kiosks, how hard it is to win customer loyalty, how easy it is to lose it (and how one unhappy customer can influence others away, too).

Other carriers may not have canclled plans but have raised the price on plans before by giving 30 days notice. A good example was Fido who price matched the 4GB $40 PM plan then within months increased it to $45. PM also didnt want to cancel the plan just wanted to increase it $10/30 days. They did give an alternative of moving to Koodo.

Extactly why i switched back to PM. Even though koodo gives exact same plan for $40  for PM customers but they might increase that plan anytime they want.

Technically it is not "exactly" the same plan Koodo $40 offer includes unlimited Canada-wide calling.

Civic_E

@torontokriswrote:

@Korthwrote:

@Civic_Ewrote:

Interesting...Never thought about your 2nd comment...there is nothing stopping them to cancel the Fall Promo plan. They mentioned it will remain $120 as long as account is active. But they didn't mention that plan will be active as long as your account is active!!! hahaha.

CRTC Wireless Code says "If, during the commitment period, a service provider wishes to change other contract terms and conditions or the related documents, it must provide the account holder with at least 30 calendar days’ notice before making such changes."

So yes, PM could give 30 day notice, discontinue plans (and renewal of discontinued plans), and allow existing discontinued plans to run out after their (maximum 90 day) durations.  It's all they're strictly required to do.

But I've never seen any wireless carrier do this.  Being callous and belligerent to customers in a competitive service-based industry isn't just bad business, it's suicide.  They always provide exit options, alternative plans, incentives for staying on board.  They know that customers are going to shop at all the competitor kiosks, how hard it is to win customer loyalty, how easy it is to lose it (and how one unhappy customer can influence others away, too).

Other carriers may not have canclled plans but have raised the price on plans before by giving 30 days notice. A good example was Fido who price matched the 4GB $40 PM plan then within months increased it to $45. PM also didnt want to cancel the plan just wanted to increase it $10/30 days. They did give an alternative of moving to Koodo.

Extactly why i switched back to PM. Even though koodo gives exact same plan for $40  for PM customers but they might increase that plan anytime they want.

torontokris

@Korthwrote:

@Civic_Ewrote:

Tallguy11
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I'm staying for as long as they honer the plan and price point.. as soon as it changes or a better plan comes around from a competetor, Im gone!!

@Civic_Ewrote:

Public Mobile has (until recently) always enticed customers with promos and offers well in advance of 30 days.  They've honoured grandfathered plans.  They didn't (and don't) have to do this.  Not saying it'll last forever.  But I suspect they won't manuever their customers into bad positions (again) without advanced planning and advanced notice.  Especially with Freedom muscling itself to a slice of the the Big Three cake.

I suspect this whole mess was an exploratory attempt by Telus to move people away from PM and towards their kiosks.  They make good money selling Telus-branded (and Telus-locked) phones, money they're "losing" on their own BYOD-based subsidiary.  Trying to skim some cream off the top of the niche.

Civic_E

@Forcitewrote:

"Leave when opportunity presents"

I have no intention of waiting for PM to pull another stunt like this. If I see a better deal, I'm going to take it. Telus is trying to push us up the cost chain and you can bet they won't stop here. Why will I leave?

1. I'm voting with my wallet. The only way I can really communicate how unacceptable this behaviour is, is to stop giving Telus money.
  2. I'm not going to wait until they decide to cancel the plan and get caught scrambling for a replacement.

@PhoneSeeker @ckl

I actually did "too much" research when choosing, not just to save a few bucks but to set up the "best" possible service for years to come.

The basic Telus-vs-Shaw services and prices are essentially identical.  Their hardware is different but they offer the same capacities and same performances at the same prices structured in the same tiers.  Sometimes one or the other runs a promo or has some sort of special deal or incentive, but these are always short term.  Pretty much the same idea as all the gas stations offering essentially the same product at prices within a fraction of a penny of each other.

I clandestinely followed a Telus van to an IXP just 2km from my home, one of those mysterious ordinary brownstone buildings with no identifiers beyond a teeny tiny "Telus" sticker on one of the back doors.  A building with a whole lot of air conditioning outside and a few metric tons of high-density high-cost computing/networking technology spliced on top of a big local internet backbone inside.  The closest Shaw equivalent is almost 10km away, for me that's almost "last mile" service - yuck.

(Incidentally, the local Shaw drivers seem more security savvy, lol - why they so paranoid? - they're deviously hard to tail!)

So I chose Telus.  I signed up with Shaw, used up their six month "deal", then moved to Telus, got a welcome-away-from-Shaw reward, used up their six month "deal", now just pay the regular rates.  Benchmarked performance comparisons between the two clearly (overwhelmingly) indicate Telus service is better and faster at my home, but the situation might've been the opposite if my home happened to be 10km away.

PhoneSeeker

@cklwrote:

Fire the person that came up with this idea and all is forgiven... It might be the Telus CEO that pledged to convert prepaid to postpaid... In that case, good! Unfortunately, he sits at the top of the dung heap so somebody below him will get the axe.

I changed my cable and internet to Shaw in retaliation. I ended up paying less than what Telus was charging me and my internet went from 25mbps with 300GB cap to 150mbps with unlimited data. I actually get 170mbps download 17 Mbps upload.  I will use the money I saved for a Netflix account, which they also threw in for 6 months free. The bluesky system is pretty much the same as optik functionality-wise but optik is still better in some areas. I don't watch that much cable TV to care anymore tho. Internet is more important.

Sorry if this sounds like a Shaw advert, but it's not. I don't like Shaw anymore than Telus but I have to speak with my wallet and my choices are limited.

Interesting that you mention this. The best deals are always reserved for new customers in terms of internet/tv deals, so it makes sense to jump back and forth between Telus and Shaw every 2-3 years.

ckl

Fire the person that came up with this idea and all is forgiven... It might be the Telus CEO that pledged to convert prepaid to postpaid... In that case, good! Unfortunately, he sits at the top of the dung heap so somebody below him will get the axe.

I changed my cable and internet to Shaw in retaliation. I ended up paying less than what Telus was charging me and my internet went from 25mbps with 300GB cap to 150mbps with unlimited data. I actually get 170mbps download 17 Mbps upload.  I will use the money I saved for a Netflix account, which they also threw in for 6 months free. The bluesky system is pretty much the same as optik functionality-wise but optik is still better in some areas. I don't watch that much cable TV to care anymore tho. Internet is more important.

Sorry if this sounds like a Shaw advert, but it's not. I don't like Shaw anymore than Telus but I have to speak with my wallet and my choices are limited.

Forcite

"Leave when opportunity presents"

I have no intention of waiting for PM to pull another stunt like this. If I see a better deal, I'm going to take it. Telus is trying to push us up the cost chain and you can bet they won't stop here. Why will I leave?

1. I'm voting with my wallet. The only way I can really communicate how unacceptable this behaviour is, is to stop giving Telus money.
  2. I'm not going to wait until they decide to cancel the plan and get caught scrambling for a replacement.

Michael77

Watoko

I can't figure out any of @makkhan28's riddles, can someone help me out?

On topic, I will be staying cautious and as soon as any promos pop up that are at a similar price point, I am jumping ship. As much as I want PM to succeed, I've seen the direction they've been heading in for a while now and I don't like it.

@fsm7268

This isn't the first time PM messed up a promo and caused a lot of disaffected, angry customers to flame away while screaming for blood.  And times like these also attract internet trolls from other sites who sniff an opportunity to sow discord, they like online environments where tension and passions run high.

So you'll see a lot of angry for a little while before PM continues passively cruising forward on another long uneventful cruise.  No need to worry about your future with PM, if/when any problems ever arise then take them as they come.  Just prepay your plan costs before they're due, use your phone, ask for help from the users or mods when needed (or better yet, before needed) and will be well enough, haha.

fsm7268
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I am happy with PM so far since I switched a bit over a month ago. Got lots of help at the beginning. Hope PM will last forever.

I never expected my PM plan will last forever.  One day PM will change something and I'll have to choose whether their new offer or if another carrier's offer is better.  I have no plans to leave before then.

Just as I never expected my Android TV box will give me "free" TV for life.  Or that Youtube will remain free forever.  Or even that google search engine will stay free forever.  But until these things change for the worse there's I feel no imperative to look for better alternatives.

torontokris

@bilal684wrote:

I'm proceeding with caution. Even though I don't have the fall promo plan, I do not want to see an increase on my bill. I haven't had any issue with telus though. I was once scammed by bell when a representative told me I'd pay X price for a plan until I found out the price of the plan was 10$ more than what was told to me.

I wish freedom mobile was in Quebec... Us canadians are definitely getting f**ed with telecoms prices.

BUT Quebec gets much better deals overall. Your Koodo bell Fido Rogers plans are way better. Most say due to compitition from Videotron. Least you get PM well while they were competitive

Acekiller

I used to keep a surplus balance in my account to reduce the transaction fee for vouchers. Guess I won't be doing that anymore.

bilal684

I'm proceeding with caution. Even though I don't have the fall promo plan, I do not want to see an increase on my bill. I haven't had any issue with telus though. I was once scammed by bell when a representative told me I'd pay X price for a plan until I found out the price of the plan was 10$ more than what was told to me.

I wish freedom mobile was in Quebec... Us canadians are definitely getting f**ed with telecoms prices.

PhoneSeeker

@shaner82wrote:

It's not ridiculous to pay more or get a lesser plan for the same money.  It's called voting with my wallet.  Telus tried to screw me over so why would I continue to do business with them?  I don't care if others say Rogers is just as bad, in 10 years with them, I never had one issue, not one.  

It's not about hurting Telus, one person can't do that, it's about refusing to do business with a company that tried to screw me over and has more or less admitted they will try again in the future

Amen to that!

I just switched my $140/month Telus tv/internet/phone package to a competitor (for a lower price) over this stunt. I still have PM because there's no better option at the moment, but I will have my eyes open! 

PhoneSeeker

@CalvinWwrote:

Ready to bounce if PM tries to pull this again...

I say never forget!

I may only be a lowly, "low-value" worthless  pre-paid customer in the eyes of Public Mobile and Telus management, but little did they know I have also been paying $140/month to Telus for TV/fiber internet/home phone for the past few years.

After this week's PM/Telus stunt left a sour taste in my mouth, I decided to remove some of the Telus nastiness in my life and switched from my $140/month Telus Internet/TV/home phone package to one from their competitor (for a lower price)!  If you're feeling betrayed by this week's debacle, I would suggest doing the same, it is definitely liberating to vote with your wallet! If this is how Telus treats their customers, I am out. They will not be getting my money. Telus/PM might be gaining $5-10 dollars from jacking up my Public Mobile plan, but they will now be losing $130/month after I left Telus home services.

That is all I have to say.

@bbdatawrote:

My issue with what occured is they gave us an ultimatum.

A few minutes ago, I posted that exact same sentiment when someone asked what the big deal about the price change and Koodo switch was.  An ultimatum is exactly what it was, and many customers would have just left Telus completely.

bbdata

I plan to proceed with caution.

My issue with what occured is they gave us an ultimatum. Go to Koodo or we will increase your plan rate.

My biggest dissapointment is that they did not give us alternative options to stay with Public Mobile. For example, they could of offered to:

• reduce our data and remain at the current price; OR
  • move us to a current plan combination at a discount.

Anything that would of lead to a reasonable compromise. Not just a get out or get fked.

@ShawnC13wrote:

I read people saying they are done with Telus and will avoid them at all cost, and even pay more just so Telus won't get their money?!?!  That is ridiculous you aren't hurting Telus you're hurting your own finances .Find what works for YOU.  The big three won't be hurt if you decide to go to another provider.@will13am says be loyal to your wallet not the corporation

Amen!  I will not bite my nose to spite my face.  Now that the Draconian 50% price increase is off the table, I am staying because it's the best option financially.  While I am here, I will do what I can to support the host.  It's a symbiotic relationship.  Killing the host makes no sense.  So, yes I forgive.  But I will never forget, I am here for my wallet always!  The community will need time to heal and go back to what it takes to making this service great again.  

Here's how I see it

IF Koodo said 

Are we Kood?

I'd say 

Nah, we're not Dude

Here's the Point

In the Movie the Expendables 3

As Sylvester is running up to the Roof, Mel said

Hey Barney, leaving so soon?

Well, PPL try to Bolt for the Door, Kood is Like Hey PM Clients, Leaving so soon?

You'll be late for the Party

domenicocortez

Unity for community?

Need Help? Let's chat.