cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enabling VoLTE for not listed phone

JSapa
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

I have a phone that is not listed on the official list of VoLTE enabled devices but I know it supports this feature. I used it in Europe over the last summer and VoLTE was frequently turned on. It's a Xiaomi 12. Is there anything I can do to make it work? I understand that the support is not turned on for this phone because it's not on the list and it is not officially sold in Canada.

Thanks

JS

5 REPLIES 5

Kristowhy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@will13am I agree with you that it's YMMV at the moment and patience should be exercised; however, I don't believe that carriers actually care about maintaining a long term "loyal" customer - it's more about control and maximizing margin/profits through plans and devices.  Any carrier would rather sell you a handset that's "compatible" than deal with support costs.   Most deals (and for years now) are geared towards "new subscribers".  Churn is to be expected and yes, some will likely bail if their device isn't supported with VoLTE, but that's likely going to be a small number.

I have seen the whitelisting first hand over on Koodo with multiple devices turned on and working many weeks ago with VoLTE, yet only those on their "supported list" still have VoLTE working as I type this.  I agree with @dust2dust that the whitelist should be removed and all devices have access and if it works, great, if not, they will use HSPA until it's shutdown in 2025.  At the same time I can also understand the initial VoLTE deployment being conservative to minimize support issues and/or potentially degrading the network.  Makes me wonder if the recent *611 issues are tied to this.

As for the phone "not playing nice", it's actually the dog company playing nice and allowing your device to work as intended with full functionality.  Organizations that whitelist/blacklist are "not playing nice".

Yes, you are right that the other flanker brands have not announced VoLTE roadmaps, but neither did Telus.  After almost 18 months of frustrated customers trying to roam south of the border and many rumour posts, we finally get some sparse VoLTE announcements and inconsistent "supported" device lists.  To me, Telus has a great opportunity here to maximize VoLTE subscribers as quickly as possible which can help steal market share from the others.  

@JSapa be sure to subscribe to @softech 's fantastic VoLTE thread:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/VoLTE-Phone-Compatibility-Community-membe...

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@JSapa , it seems like VoLTE for "non supported" phones is YMMV at the moment.  The best way forward is to enable VoLTE if the toggle is available in the settings menu and wait for your account to enable it.  I suspect the whitelist is being limited to improve rollout but it should expand once the rollout is complete.  It is easy to be a conspiracy theorist and prognosticate all sorts of ill, the counter argument is that this type of business practice is potentially customer limiting.  I have a phone that is not playing nice with Public Mobile VoLTE at the moment but works fine on the dog brand.  There is a risk that customer with a similar phone would favor the competition if the situation is allowed to persist.  A little bit more patience is likely to be rewarded.  We have to be mindful that the competing tier 3 brands have not even announced their VoLTE road map.  

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Yes it all sucks for those that already know their phone can use volte. Telus/Public is being selective on which phones they will let use volte. They have even retracted the service from some phones that initially had it.

My suspicions are that they will keep blocking devices that they do not already approve even well into this roll-out. If it's not approved then you will be out of luck. But I'm a corporate cynic.

It should be the other way around. Turn it on. If the phone can't for its own technical reasons then tough. It would be the same logic of the roaming add-ons. If the phone can't use 2G then you won't have talk. Same technical principle. But no, they are intentionally only approving devices. Not that they're able.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@JSapa 

at the moment, not all phones are working with VoLTE.  Also, some phones not on the list are in fact working well on VoLTE.  So, you can at least check if they have enabled the profile for you and you can try it out 

first  enabled VoLTE on your device 

Other Android: Settings->Connection->Mobile Data, enable VoLTE there

And when you make calls, see if the signal indicator shows LTE or drop back to H or 3G.  If it stays with LTE, then yes, you are there

Also, you can confirm by checking the IMS registration, see if it is "registered".  You can likely find it under About -> Status -> Sim card status on your phone

Meow
Mayor / Maire

You will have to wait until PM turns VoLTE for all subscribers. My phone does support VoLTE but since it is not turned on on my account yet, I do not see that option in phone's settings.

So be patient.

Need Help? Let's chat.