cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching to Public Mobile

TrevorBurridge
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am considering switching from a different cell provider to Public Mobile.  How long does it usually take to port my number?

7 REPLIES 7

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@TrevorBurridge 

Looks like you join this Community on May 26/19…are you a previous PM customer?

Porting will be completed within an hour if all step are taken in order to complete the porting process but your old SIM will continue to work once the porting is completed.

Just remember to keep your old SIM in your phone, activate your SIM on a computer, reply to the text from your previous carrier with YES within the 90 minute time frame, continue to use your old SIM, power off your phone if old SIM stopped working, swap SIMs…welcome to PM.

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@TrevorBurridge 

For mobile ports once you reply YES to the PAT (porting authorization text) within 90 minutes of recieving it your port will complete within minutes to a maximum of 2 hours. Unless you are porting from a small provider the port should not take any longer to complete than a half hour.....any longer and you should contact the telus porting department to see if you made an error entering the info for your port request. Keep it simple and use the following:

1. Full name on the old provider's account.
  2. Phone number to be ported.
  3. The old provider's account #.

Tsawwassen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Make sure you take your time following the instructions -ALSO very important don't cancel your existing number before you port. If all is done properly, and it's very easy, then it shouldn't take more than one hour or so. 

PS. I would use your desktop or laptop.

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

@TrevorBurridge wrote:

I am considering switching from a different cell provider to Public Mobile.  How long does it usually take to port my number?

@TrevorBurridge 

The number transfer process can take up to 2 hours to complete for a mobile phone number. Your old SIM card must be inside your device and your account with your previous provider must still be active so you can receive and respond to the SMS and authorize the request. Please do not replace your old SIM card with your Public SIM until you have responded to this message.

When starting the process I find using a browser with incognito/private mode, the website seems to work better! Please make sure to use your account number of your current provider & not your IMEI when filling out the form to transfer your phone number from your current provider over to Public Mobile.

Edit: Please respond YES to the port authorization request text within 90 minutes or the port will not go through!

Also, if you have a referral from a current Public Mobile Customer you’ll get a 1 time $10 credit off your bill! Which I can send you if you don’t have one.

Edit again: Some have better success selecting a new phone number during activation incase of any issues arising during activation. Then once account is setup sign on & transfer your phone number from there. Just make sure your account is still active from previous provider for number to port over as per previous instructions. 

Meow
Mayor / Maire

From mobile to PM usually less than 1 day. From land line to PM few days.

Just follow porting instructions to the Letter! Both accounts have to be active and keep Old SIM in a phone to reply Yes on authorization SMS.

kahull
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just did this last week, and it literally took me about 15 minutes.  Just follow the instructions on the PM site, it is very easy and the instructions are user friendly. 

Milk
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

In our cases - no more then at most a couple of hours. Be careful when filling out the porting and new account info - make sure  that everything is filled out properly before you click ok.

Need Help? Let's chat.