cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data usage has jumped

Hickory2014
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

In the last 2 months my data usage has jumped and I get a message that I have used 75% of my data long before the end of the month.  

I have always had more than enough data.  I have not changed the way I use my phone.  

is there a solution?  

6 REPLIES 6

I have always had success with those little spinner refresh icons shown earlier for that page. For the usage details, download everything and open it in a spreadsheet and then you can sort and sift whatever you like. Look on your phone as well if it gives you any stats. But it sounds like you do need look at your usage on the phone. OS and app updates, cloud updates, backups, background app usage etc.

Hickory2014
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I feel stupid.  How do I change to incognito mode?  

I saw something about Public Mobile was aware of  a problem with their usage reports and had fixed it?  so I didn’t pursue this any more. 

i just checked my usage again (from June 23-29 and I’ve used 1/3 of my data in 1 week.  Since then, I was at home on wifi for 2 days of that and it shows data usage.  One of those days was excessive.  I rarely use my phone when I’m at home. 

I have an iPhone.  I haven’t changed my settings and I haven’t used my phone any differently.  It’s been the same for years.   I don’t want to change from Public, since I have a grandfathered plan that should suit my needs.  

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Hickory2014  Try this 

Try again incognito/private mode

And or lap top /computer

OR

simply try refreshing the page to check data plan / mins / add ons

Handy1_0-1687440477320.jpeg

For most up to date account info

dwh1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Hickory2014 wrote:

is there a solution?  

If you share what phone you have, we can provide some suggestions.  Just as an example of what could be going on, you might have an app that is now doing background updates and using cellular data without you being aware.

On the possibility that you have an iPhone, go into Settings/Cellular and you can see a list of data usage by app, including toggles to prevent specific apps from using cellular data.  The list is likely showing all usage since you got your phone, but If you scroll all the way to the bottom, there is a "Reset Statistics" button you can click.  I try to click that when my cell plan renews so that my usage stats are specific to the current period.   Still, checking this may give you an idea  as to where you data is being used.

If you have an Android, I'm sure that others can provide similar help for that.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Hickory2014 

to avoid incorrect info from locally cached browser page, login My Account again using Incognito mode and check the data amount there again

and are you using Android?  If so, the best tracker is on your device itself.  Go to your Mobile data tracking page, Change he Start billing cycle on date to match your current PM cycle starts date:

E-MobileData.png

If you are on iPhone, it does not let you to track backward, but you can reset the Data statistics today and start tracking from today. Then at each new cycle start day, reset the statistics manually again

go to Settings > Cellular or Settings > Mobile Data, and tap Reset Statistics

iPhone-MobileData.jpg

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Hickory2014 - IS this a message from your phone or from 611/Public Mobile? If your phone, check your settings and adjust the notifications or turn those off.

EDIT, if from 611 then always confirm your data remaining balance from My Account or by calling 611 (this includes plan and addon remaining balances), as sometimes these texts may be sent in error.

See some info. on data saving here: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ns/get-help/articles/manage-your-data-usage

Need Help? Let's chat.