cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data only plans

Phil330
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Has anyone heard any of PM offering a data only plan for tablets? Currently I can only find on company (Lucky Mobile) with a decent discount offer? Unusual PM would stay competitive?

13 REPLIES 13

@Phil330 originally it was probably competitive enough and it just stayed there for years without changing, you could get 1g with unlimited text and talk for less, so i doubt anybody would actually grab such deal. With Fido/freedom offer you would be competing with your own talk plans. It would be nice to have diy plans back with improved pricing, that was not a bad idea at all. 

Phil330

Yeah it's odd they were so far off the mark, and now no offering at all? 

The PM “1Gb of LTE Data Only” plan for $30 wasn’t even competitive with what Telus offers. We had a tablet plan for a long time from Telus that was $5 a month for (only) 10 MB as a basic monthly charge but it would step up as you used more data during the month and then reset to $5/10MB at the monthly renewal. If you exceeded 10 MB it stepped to $10 giving 100 MB. If you exceeded that the next step was 1 GB for $20 and then 3 GB for $35 and 5 GB for $50 (I think...never exceeded 3 GB). So 1 MB of data was $20 but if you had a slower month you might pay just $5 or $10. And those rates go back 5, 6 or 7 years. Too bad PM didn’t have something like this. Even if the exact same price as Telus (maybe it could be actual LTE speed data like Telus as well) it would still be a decent deal to keep a PM customer from looking at Fido for a tablet plan.

AE_Collector

Phil330

Yep, not much point in offering a package that is not competitive.

It was $30.  I think it was not popular as most customers  would get better value with phone & data for the same price or pay a little more for a package deal that included more data.

Phil330

Ah, that would explain why it was not kept on.

@Phil330 

If my memory is correct it was 30 for 1g full LTE.

Freedom movie also has deal competing with Fido (at least it had it) and you don't need to have full phone service prior.

Another thing you can consider is to open with the cheapest plan then separately open data only the next day and then cancel the phone service, they will prorate and give credit back to your account

Anonymous
Not applicable

The last data only plan was $30 for 1 gig of full 4G LTE.

Phil330

Yeah I figured they must have had one at some point, I can see the current plans don't offer data only. Do you remember what they charged for 1GB when they had it? Lucky is doing it for 750MB with auto pay @15.00. The only better option I have seen is Fido 10.00 for 4GB but you have to have a phone plan as well before they will sell the data only add on to the account. Seems like a missed opportunity for PM to keep customers from moving to the competitors!

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

There use to be a 1GB data only plan but that was discontinued last year.

@Phil330 

All available plans are shown on the Public Mobile website. There used to be data-only plans but those are no long offerered.  If you're ok with postpaid service, there are much better plans available for data use 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Phil330 wrote:

Has anyone heard any of PM offering a data only plan for tablets? Currently I can only find on company (Lucky Mobile) with a decent discount offer? Unusual PM would stay competitive?

Sorry..no data only plans here...for now. Keep checking back.

PS...I gotta learn to type faster. 😎

Spudster
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Phil330 

Nope.

All current plans include some calling component with unlimited texting, @Phil330 

They all have a data component which starts as low as 250MB (without auto-pay) and goes to 8.5 GB with auto-pay on the most expensive plan.

See them here,  Plans (publicmobile.ca)

Need Help? Let's chat.