katdesj
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

58 REPLIES 58

katdesj

I’m not buying more .

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

I'm still trying to figure out why you didn't dig in to this when you bought the second add-on. The first one ok oh it seems I used all my data, really eh, alright, I'll buy some more. Running that out I would have started asking questions and examining my phone.

Can you not connect to any wifi's around or hotspot off of someones phone?

I seem to remember reading about the freebie a few years back where that data got sucked down way faster. Maybe you got into a similar glitch. But I would think we'd be hearing about many others sucking down data too fast.

Maybe it's a bad app running away with your data.

Maybe try the sim in another phone when you renew and see if it takes data too fast.

katdesj

ya well it won’t let me change it . I’m so fed up with this . 

@katdesj wrote:

Well a real plan wouldn’t make me pay 40 dollars a week for data . 

What you call a "real plan" would definitely cost more than $40. They start at $55, $65, $75, $85, $95+

https://www.telus.com/en/mobility/plans/

https://www.bell.ca/Mobility/Cell_phone_plans/Unlimited-plans

https://www.rogers.com/plans

You're evidently a heavy data user who's chosen the wrong plan. Unfortunately, it's the best plan Public Mobile offers, so if it's not good enough then you'll have to buy your data somewhere else.

@katdesj wrote:

@katdesj , in Settings, Cellular do you have any of these turned on in below picture? If you do they will suck up Data.

IMG_0010.jpeg

Edit: Also, in Settings, General in Background App Refresh what is it set to? Mine is set to Wi-Fi. If yours is set to Wi-Fi & Cellular Data it will suck up Data.

katdesj

@katdesj wrote:

... I’m not paying 40 dollars a week . Midas well just go get a real cellphone plan at this rate

You already have a "real cellphone plan" with Public Mobile (and Telus), lol.

Yeah I’m not using that bot sorry 

But this is something I fully agree with. The Simple Simon chatbot is stupid, frustrating, and a dismal method of interfacing a business with its customers. To be honest, I actually feel insulted whenever I have to deal with the thing, because apparently its owners don't think my problems are worth allocating to a real human with a real brain.

I get the impression that 15GB+ is simply inadequate for your usage. But you won't find plans with more data on any of the third-tier operators (Public, Lucky, Chatr, Freedom), you probably won't find plans with more data in any prepaid format, and you certainly won't find plans with more data in the same price range.

It seems to me like your choices are straightforward ... get a handle on your mobile data habits, keep paying too much for your data here, or pay too much for your data somewhere else.

katdesj

Thanks I already messaged them but won’t get a reply until later on today cause I have ZERO data . 

katdesj

Nope I have everything shut off 

@katdesj   honest, with such a data usage like this, if you didn't watch movie or so, it is likely some kind of backup , Cloud Backup, Whatsapp backup, etc , or iOS update or apps update

@katdesj wrote:

Been trying to find a way to contact an actual

person from here & can’t seem to figure it out.  I’m fed up , I’m not paying 40 dollars a week . Midas well just go get a real cellphone plan at this rate 

@katdesj you were given the direct link to private message CSA (a Public Mobile Customer Support Agent, which isn't a bot) by @softech . Which the private message is sent from your Community private mailbox ✉️ at the top right of this page.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Edit: Or you can go to your community mailbox & type it in yourself using instructions below:

LitlLdy_0-1684328472330.png

LitlLdy_1-1684328484990.png

Watch for a response back from a CSA in your Community private mailbox ✉️ at the top right of this page which will be indicated by a number on the small envelope icon to the left of your Community avatar.

katdesj

Ya I’m not buying any more data this a outrageous. 

@katdesj wrote:

person from here & can’t seem to figure it out.  I’m fed up , I’m not paying 40 dollars a week . Midas well just go get a real cellphone plan at this rate 

@katdesj  -I agree, this seems excessive.

Are you having issues with Simon Chatbot? Then, send a private message to customer support here:

Private Message to Public Mobile Customer Support Agents (CSA)

BUT, I would suggest first you download your data usage first to see this is actually being used.

When looking at the Data Usage Details, make sure you are choosing the DOWNLOAD option and move that into an excel format to have a look. 

Note, data shows up in the usage details section 6-12 hours after it has been used.

What is prompting you to add these funds? Are these all ADDONS you are adding to your account, or are you continuing to renew your plan early with a 'change plan' option?

Are you receiving texts, or are you not able to use any data? 

Do you have hotspot turned on in the settings of your device, with any devices connected to it?

katdesj

katdesj

Yeah I’m not using that bot sorry 

@katdesj you can open ticket with support here.

1. Please open ticket via Chatbot (requires access to My Account) using direct link: https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

Start by typing "Contact agent ", then click "Contact Us", then click "Other", click "Click here to submit a ticket ↗""
Next, enter your Community login, then enter your question.  Finally use My Account login or 4 digits PIN to validate.

2. If you have trouble with Chatbot or you don't have access to My Account: Private message CS Agent at: 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on the top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply to you there

katdesj

Been trying to find a way to contact an aftuwl

person from here & can’t seem to figure it out Z I’m fed up , I’m not paying 40 dollars a week . Midas well just go get a real cellphone plan at this rate 

katdesj

Yeah paid over 100 in 2 weeks for data …. All my apps are shut off for data & I don’t use them unless I’m home so 

@BKNS27 wrote:

@katdesj

Any discrepancy, I would contact a CS_Agent by private messaging on the envelope icon above.

A little discrepancy is normal, expected, and unavoidable.

Self-Serve will report data measured on the network-side, how many bytes and packets were sent and received - it's almost certainly different from data measured on the phone-side. Because radio is a crowded and noisy medium these days, it always imposes some extra overhead onto digital communications. Especially if either of the radios (your phone) has weak signal or weak power - trying to use data in a fringe-coverage area with low signal bars or simply using data with a weak/old battery is always going to consume more data than it provides.

And iPhones are notorious for consuming extra background data if you leave all the settings and permissions at Apple defaults.

But $100 worth of data seems excessive. It's not a borderline situation or a bit of extra overhead. It's a serious problem which costs money as long as it remains unresolved.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@katdesj 

I would suggest you login to your account and click on View Data History. This will give you all the data used. You can set the date range and all data usage is updated twice in 24 hours...around noon and around midnight.

Any discrepancy, I would contact a CS_Agent by private messaging on the envelope icon above.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

$100+ in data add-ons is rather excessive. 15GB (from plan) plus 4GB to 6GB (from add-ons).

There must be a reason this data is being consumed.

Possibly a network problem. Public Mobile uses the Telus (and shared Bell/SaskTel/etc) network, which is normally reliable, but we don't live in a perfect world and yes sometimes weird things happen.

Possibly a phone problem. Background data, syncs, updates, notification checks, all that stuff leeches away a lot of data over time. Many bad apps exist which constantly eat too much data. And malwares could do anything.

Possibly a usage problem. If you have fast (LTE Speed) data then your speedtests will burn data at an alarming rate. Streaming videos consume whopping amounts of data. All those little video hoverboxes on social media pages are streaming videos. Hundreds of megabytes per hour or even a few gigabytes per hour, depending on settings. It is indeed possibly you've consumed all your data (and more) without knowing it because 15GB is actually a rather pitiful allocation on today's internet.

In the future, if you ever need more data then your plan provides, you might save money by forcing your plan to restart immediately (in Self-Serve). Paying $40 again to renew your 15GB plan would cost much less than buying 15GB worth of add-ons. (At Public Mobile, there's no extra fees or penalties for doing this. But interrupted/halted plan cycles will not receive Rewards or Points.)

katdesj

Already reset it but I won’t have anymore

data now so it won’t matter lol . Won’t be using my phone without wifi . Might have to change providers 

@katdesj for iphone, go to the data page and reset statistics and trrack the data usage from here

katdesj

Nope ! iPhone 

katdesj

Says the exact same thing my phone does 

DDM69
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

This doesn't seem right.  Let us know what you find out after trying out some of the recommendations. 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@katdesj 

refresh.jpg

added...

if you purchased data add-on...here's where you'll see those...

plan.jpg

softech
Oracle
Oracle
@katdesj wrote:

So I just sent over 100 dollars on data in two weeks … I’m not impressed . 15 gigs is more than enough and now suddenly I’m out again for the second time in a week & I rarely use my phone .. have all my apps data shut off unless I need it . Something is going on and I’m not going to pay again . I need to talk to an ACTUAL person . Any answers ? Instead of a **bleep** bot. 

@katdesj PM daia usage tracking is usually accurate 

are you on Android?  Check the data usage screen and it will tell you what apps used the data.  Remember to adjust the Start billing cycle on date to match your current PM cycle start date 

E-MobileData.png

Edit: fixed typos

Need Help? Let's chat.