cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Current promotions

kadamczy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Currently with Koodo, paying $55 for their 50 gig plan (don't use nearly that amount).

Does anyone know how long they'll keep this $40 15 GB plan active for? I've got 2 months left on my Tab and might pay it off early to come over to Public.

18 REPLIES 18

@kadamczy    Personally, I'd use up those points towards bill payments as soon as you have enough to redeem as you never know when you might see a better deal with a different carrier and want to move and could end up leaving all those points ($'s) unused?

@kadamczy wrote:

Thanks for the math breakdown. Earning points on total $ spent makes sense, by banking them you're giving yourself a few extra dollars at the end of the year.

Those additional points could buy you the bigger part of any of the international talk add-ons, or an extra GB of data (except for roaming add-ons, add-ons don't expire until used up)...

edited to adjust for more accurate math!

Hi @kadamczy yes, depends on your plan, you might reach $15 quickly and you can enjoy the $15 bill credit

kadamczy

Thanks for the math breakdown. Earning points on total $ spent makes sense, by banking them you're giving yourself a few extra dollars at the end of the year.

@kadamczy wrote:

So you can theoretically bank these points all year and enjoy a month or two without a bill before they expire?

How you use your points depends a bit on how you use your service.

Keep in mind that you only get points for actual amounts paid, not for system credits. 

If you intend to stay here mid to long term it's better to let points accumulate for the first year instead of redeeming them for bill credits every time you hit 15 points.

If you use any add-ons it's more cost effective to "buy" them with points.

If you use a referral code you'll get a $10 credit.

So assuming that you sign up for the $40 plan and don't redeem points for the bill credits for a year (approximate math):

- Activation (day 1-30 of service): $40 -> 2 + 4 points

- 1st renewal (day 31-60): $40 - $10 referral reward -> 1.5 + 3 points

- 2nd to 11th (day 61-360): $40 -> 2 +4 points each time

- on day 366 (?) you should get your loyalty points: 10 pts

= 79 points?

If you redeem for bill credits every time you have 15 points"

- Activation (day 1-30 of service): $40 -> 2 + 4 points

- 1st renewal (day 31-60): $40 - $10 referral reward -> 1.5 + 3 points

- 2nd (day 61-90): $40 -> 2 +4 points

- 3rd (day 91-120): $40 - $15 points credit = $25 -> 1.25 + 2.5 points

- 4th (day 121-150): $40 -> 2 + 4 points

- 5th (day 151 -180): $40 -> 2 + 4 points

- 6th (day 181 - 210): $40 -> 2 +4 points

- 7th (day 211 - 240): $40 - $15 bill credit = $25 -> 1.25 + 2.5 points

- 8th (day 241 - 270): $40 -> 2 + 4 points

- 9th (day 291 - 300): $40 -> 2 + 4 points

- 10th (day 301 - 330): $40 - $15 bill credit = $25 -> 1.25 + 2.5 points

- 11th (day 331 - 360): $40 -> 2 + 4points

- on day 366 10 loyalty points?

= 72.25 points?

It does matter less in the second year, IMO.

Edit: Sorry, I think the math was off somewhat, so the gap is smaller. but 6.25 points can still make a difference.

kadamczy

Too bad she didn't stroll by a Chatr agent instead, wouldn't have been ripped off 🙂

kadamczy

So you can theoretically bank these points all year and enjoy a month or two without a bill before they expire?

@kadamczy wrote:

Do the credits automatically lower the plan to $34 or do I have to apply them to the next bill manually?

@kadamczy 

You have to manually apply the credit.  The catch is you can only cash out 15 points at a time for $15 credit.  

inah_1985
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I suggest getting the plan now . Just pay the tab and move to public mobile. They might get rid of this deal anytime. I move my mums plan from fido, i let her pay her remaining $500 balance on the device. It was a rip off coz she is paying for data (25gb) an add on for voice mail. she only use 500mb every month. she has 13 months remaining left, i just let her pay her device and transferred her to PM. $25 plan. She got the contract with fidowith  her friend when they were strolling around lol. anyway good luck and start saving .

kadamczy

Gotcha. Thanks for the info. 

To offset that you'll save on your plan cost. 

ARPU = Average Revenue Per User

It's a really important metric in the industry. Essentially it's the average monthly revenue they're getting per line. On Public Mobile that number is sure to be on the lower end, and will ultimately bring down the average of Telus overall. This plan may help move people from $25 plans up to $40, which is a pretty big deal.

kadamczy

Right, the only thing I lose is a nominal $11 tab bonus reduction thing. What does ARPU stand for?

kadamczy

Do the credits automatically lower the plan to $34 or do I have to apply them to the next bill manually?

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

It was originally a Black Friday deal, but I guess with its popularity in driving up ARPU they have kept it around.

If i were you i would swap now and pay out your tab, because you never know when it will be pulled. Technically it's on promo from $60. Your tab has to be paid back regardless of whether you pay it now or over 2 months.

Tsawwassen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

There is no mention that the $40 plan has an expiry date - Actually it does have a 12 month promotion of 15% credits that further reduces this plan down to only $34 ---- ----Unfortunately there is a catch in that it's only available to new accounts. 

Offer available to new customers who activate at Public Mobile. Offer provides 15% points-back for 12 months on eligible purchases on your plan or add-ons.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@kadamczy 

The $40 for 15 GB plan has been active since late October 2022.  Sometimes it has been advertised, other times not advertised. But, it has been available as a plan choice for the last five months or so. 

Hard to say how long this plan will stay for.  It might even become a permanent plan in the future.  

GR
Mayor / Maire

If you want to make sure you get that plan you should get a Sim card and activate now.  You'll just pay off your tab early a bit but you'll be sure not to miss out! 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@kadamczy PM has been changing plans a lot lately, however, they shave not touched the $40-15 GB so far

I think they will keep it.  Of course, they can make change any time and no way you can "reserve " it for activation later.  So, let's hope it is still there or they have better deal when you are ready to come over

Need Help? Let's chat.