cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clarification of US Roaming Plans and PM's US Partners 3G Network Closure

COLBudManstrong
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello! I'm planning to travel to the US in a few weeks, and I was just looking for some clarification regarding roaming plans and the announcement last year about PM's US partners shutting down their 3G networks.

I currently have the 1GB data/3G plan through PM, and I'm using a Pixel 5. I was planning to buy a "US Roam-Talk Txt 3 GB Data(15d)" add-on a day or two before I head down.

I'm just looking to clarify if I should run into any issues with using the plan while I'm there, regarding that 3G networks shutdown. Was the announcement just meaning phones that only support a maximum of 3G network speeds might have issues? (The Pixel 5 supports 5G) Or is PM's roaming add-on speeds tied to the base plan speed or something like that?

13 REPLIES 13

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@sheytoon 

Maybe I thought you did but you didn't?🙃

@darlicious I did?

I'm not an expert in this area, but I think the throttling will remain in place, because a roaming subscriber will still use their home PGW in a traditional roaming scenario (no local breakout).

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@dust2dust 

A 3 day bundle would be nice....talk, text and 500mb for $10. Its good that they are essentially offering more for less money. They haven't made the $60 Canada/US Roaming plan obsolete...yet?

@darlicious- 15 days is good. To cover the standard two weeks vacay. It will be interesting to see peoples experiences with the re-buy and whether that's still a thing. That's always been the hassle since I've been here. Occurrences of that might lessen though with the 15 day length. But there could still be the shorter stay snowbirds.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@dust2dust 

Thx. That seems to make sense....with these new 15 day US Roaming add ons I need to update or create a whole new US Roaming add on post.....eventually?!!

@darlicious- As I mentioned from all my testing and fiddling last month, no, the data speed is dependent on the base plan. Think of the apn as the gateway like your home router. I also tried to enter T-Mobile apn information but it wouldn't stick. I did speed tests on the last day and it did 3Mbps on a couple tests. I tried to use a different speedtest location but it always went back to a Telus server in like Vancouver or something. I wasn't going to go in to depth fiddling with the spouses phone.

Thanks for remembering dennycrane. I recalled in the back of my mind that someone had a Pixel and had troubles. Which is why I said hopefully the phone will drop down.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@COLBudManstrong 

I'm going to suggest you try a test....before you leave download textnow and call forward your pm phone # to the Canadian phone # you choose for textnow. In theory unless your phone/Sim card connects to the 2G network your call forwarding will remain in place (if it connects to the 2G network it will default back to your pm voicemail) allowing for your incoming pm calls to be recieved on your phone thru your textnow app. This would ensure the reliability of T-Mobile's 4G LTE network rather than their 2G network which is location dependent and has reception and connectivity issues when traveling (like driving etc...).

Setting up your voicemail greeting on both textnow and changing your pm greeting to include your textnow phone# so your contacts will have that option for contact and recognize any incoming calls/texts originating from that phone # would be helpful as well. Since you will recieve incoming pm SMS texts regardless (no US Roaming add on is needed for incoming SMS texts) you can opt for just a US Roaming data add on rather than the bundle. MMS texts can be sent/recieved with just a US Roaming data add on but will count as usage against the mobile data as will calling minutes on the textnow app when you are not connected to wifi (0.5mb/1min).

If you just have a US Roaming data add on this could ensure you won't connect to the 2G network (cancelling call forwarding). I'm mentioning this because another member who did some testing for us ( @DennyCrane ) also has a pixel 5 and his phone was unable to switch to the 2G network mode to use the 2G network for voice calls rendering that feature of his US Roaming add on useless and an unnecessary expenditure. I believe @hairbag1 mentioned he successfully used just a US Roaming data add on and textnow and kept his call forwarding intact while traveling in Washington state.

If you have the time to report back any of your experience with using your US Roaming add ons or any testing you may do with them we would greatly appreciate it. Just a reminder that the "clock" on the (now) 15 day US Roaming add ons starts immediately after purchase (15×24 hours=360 hours til expiry). If you will be purchasing another US Roaming add on after expiry please note the time of purchase as the old 10 day US Roaming add ons required a 24 hour wait time to repurchase the same add on and we are curious if the same holds true for the new 15 day US Roaming add ons? If so purchasing the same one again during that 24 hour period requires the assistance of customer support.

Enjoy your trip and Stay--Safe!

@dust2dust 

I noticed the mention in the small print that data speed is the same as your home plan when roaming in the US but it is to my understanding that pm has no control over throttling on their roaming partner's network so a pm customer with a "3G" plan would have the same data speed that T-Mobile offers all of its customer's on their 4G LTE network (avg. speed 25 to 35mbps) after the first 48 hours? I think @sheytoon mentioned this previously?

If your phone is likely set to automatic networks and the fact that T-Mobile is the only network that will let you through the door, your phone will find and connect to T-Mobile when you turn off airplane mode. (assuming they're present) You would then get the welcome to the US text inviting you to buy add-ons (even though you might already have one).

Text and data should be no problem. Calling is the problem. Like all providers coverage is always an issue whether LTE or 2G.

COLBudManstrong
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you for all of that information and links to other posts/resources. I don't anticipate really needing to make use of much roaming data/talk/text while I'm down there, as I imagine I'll be connected to wifi at most places. I just didn't want to buy an add-on plan and then find out I couldn't text or call in some worst case scenario while I'm there.

I'll bookmark this thread and the other links so I'll know to switch to T-Mobile while I'm there, and test it out to make sure things are working.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

According to Public Mobile:

PM will have T-mobile 2G network for US talk. Try to manually connect to T-mobile.

Roaming is for Data only. Voice and SMS text will still work.

Data will work on LTE, but will switch over to 2G to make a call.

However, the quality of service will vary depending on the different coverage areas when roaming in the USA.

And from PM site:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/us-roaming

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Hello @COLBudManstrong - speeds are tied to the plan you are on in Canada. But Roaming uses 3G. 

I hope this Get Help Article for Roaming and things for reference will help:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/us-roaming#:~:text=Troubleshooting%20U.S.%20Roam...

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

The US issue is all about talk. Only T-Mobile provides talk on their old 2G/GSM network. Only T-Mobile works at all anyway. The speed will be the same as your home data speed.

So turn on roaming data, connect only to T-Mobile, hopefully your phone will drop down to 2G when calling.

Adding - 2G coverage will be lesser than LTE and such.

Need Help? Let's chat.