cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t send text or iMessage to a contact.

Sharses
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I tried to send a text message to a contact and it won’t send through a text. It will only send to the email account or iMessage but not SMS. What’s going on? All my settings in my iPhone have been checked, I’ve turned my phone off several times and toggled airplane mode off and on. I’ve even deleted the contact and re-entered the info. 

4 REPLIES 4

Sharses
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Messages are working now. Yesterday when I tried to send a text, iMessage wasnt working and I wasn’t given the option of sending through SMS only via email. It was only to one contact (although with another contact texting was only through SMS and not through iMessage) . Very strange but things seem to be working now.

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@Sharses   In the subject line you say can't send text or iMessage but in the text you say you can send iMessage but not SMS, can you clarify?  If the other party has an iPhone why do you need to send SMS, maybe when either of you is offline?  For iMessage you need to have either cellular data or wifi on but you don't for SMS.  Assume you have "send as SMS" enabled, what happens when you long press on the message you typed, does it give the option to send as SMS and what happens if you say yes?

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Sharses 

Is it only just  one contact that you can't send a SMS text?  or all contacts? It might be also an issue with your contact side.  

In your iMessage setting, is your phone number also listed as well as your email?  

You may want to try a network reset of the phone. This will erase any saved Wifi settings. 

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Sharses  .so it will send the text thru iMessage ? If so try turning I message off and just send it sms  instead . But if not sending iMessage ensure you still have data left and that you haven’t turned cell data off in phone settting by accident 

Need Help? Let's chat.