cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t call the US

AnonT
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Why can’t I call US numbers from my phone? It says I’m out of minutes. I don’t want to pay for a regular add on. I rarely call the US, but I need to be able to do it on those occasions. 

8 REPLIES 8

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

@AnonT As has been stated, you need a long distance add on to be able to call the US. Thankfully they don't expire, so you can buy 1,000 minutes for $15 and just leave it there until you need it.

Additionally PM usually gives out 500 free minutes of long distance at Christmas time, again with no expiry. There's no guarantee we'll get it again, but for the past few years I've been here they do it every year. Watch for the text offer in December.

1000006914.png

Oh that's 👍. Didn't know that. Even better🤭

JRod
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@AnonT 

To call the US you will need to either purchase an add-on of US minutes or have a Can-US phone plan.

Due to Public Mobile being pre-paid if you haven’t paid for a particular feature then you won’t be able to use it. Unlike post-paid where they will allow you to complete the call but will charge you for the long distance minutes.

This means there are no surprises with your billing but that you’ll have to pay for the features you intend to utilize.

Hi @Sansan  you can use TextNow with Mobile Data too 

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

Yes there are times when you need to make emergency calls. For situations such as this, I download the Textnow app. It works quite well, never had any issues, yet. 🤞

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Because this is not a pay as you go place. You need either the US long distance add-on (not roaming) or the Canada/US plan or a calling card or the free option of a voip app like Textnow.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @AnonT 

sorry, like most carrier, calling US is not free.  You have to buy the US calling addon to call

or there is free option, download the VoIP app TextNow and use it to call US for free

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@AnonT 

to call US from Canada you need a US calling add-on.

Alterative is to download free voip app like TextNow which uses wifi to call most any US or Cdn number for free.

Need Help? Let's chat.