cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I Recover My Old Public Mobile Number If I Deactivated My Account?

MH1923
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

So back in March I switched over from Public to Freedom (big mistake) I was planning on keeping my old number but that was not in the cards though. My old number was Vancouver based and I had moved to Ontario, they told me that they can't support that area code apparently. 

I'm now thinking about returning to Public Mobile, I still have the SIM card the only issue is that I've closed my Public account. Is the number recoverable and if it is can I activate it in Ontario or do I have to return to Vancouver to do it?

10 REPLIES 10

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

@Chalupa_Batman- Some might said Telus owns it simply because they do. Facts. As with all the other content, text or otherwise. So it's then a courtesy, out of respect, to give credit when using someones work. Certainly no obligation to when it's known that it all belongs to Telus. As soon as it's posted, it's not yours. Some don't care for the credit. Some take deep offense.
If someone wanted to show my 611 graphic (that I reproduced from an unknown source and then updated it) then I might add hey I recognize that, with a smiley.

no worry @Chalupa_Batman . Everyone is using that link

But we do need many more community members like you we put your heart out to help

and yes with the screenshot, someone might said Telus owns it or whatever, but it is better to post your own 🙂

@Chalupa_Batman- Giving credit to someone for a web address? It's not like he made it up. Copying somebody's text that is a known source like from their reference materials that they use all the time gets noticed. I certainly agree with giving credit to marked-up, altered images because somebody did work to mark them up. Watermarking is rather grey and an extreme length to go to but some do. A straight, unaltered screenshot is available for all to see anyway so it's not really necessary to give credit for those. I think. Others seem to disagree.

And it looks like the now-Oracle Dunkman was the first person to post with the direct link back in 2018

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/What-do-I-do-if-my-phone-is-lost-or-stole...

But hey, to each their own.

@Chalupa_Batman 

I had noted “if someone hasn’t been taken”.

If no one has taken it and if it is a Telus number. There is a slim chance it could be retrieved by OP but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

@Chalupa_Batman 

agreed...but if the number came from a Telus network AND hasn't been re-assigned...MAYBE he can get it back.

@BKNS27 and @hairbag1  - @MH1923 said in his question he "wanted" to keep the number but wasn't in the cards meaning he did not port the number. 

The number is probably a dead number now put back into the queue to be used again or someone else may already have it. 

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@MH1923 

Once you port out of PM, your account will be closed but I am surprised your number can’t be ported over to Freedom.

Check if your old number and see which carrier it belong to:

https://www.ipqualityscore.com/free-carrier-lookup 

If it is a Telus number, there is a slim chance you can get it back if someone hasn’t taken it.

If not, you will need to purchase a new SIM and pick a new number.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@MH1923

once you ported away from PM and took a new number, your old number went back to original network. If that original network was....say...Telus, it might be retrievable. First things first though...you should dial that number to see if it hasn't been re-assigned already. If it hasn't been re-assigned. then you might be able to get it back with help from a PM CSA.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

If account has been suspended and then deactivated due to no pay for 90+ days, your number is gone (and all add-ons, credits, rewards) and there is no way to recover it.

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

I believe there is a 90 day window to retrieve that number. That time has now passed. That number is probably given to someone else now. If not, then you can message a customer service agent to see if the number is still available. But honestly, sometimes it's better to start of scratch. Less ex girlfriends finding you. LOL

Here is a link.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Credit goes to @softech as he shares this link often. 

Need Help? Let's chat.