cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls from Public accounts and Bellus network

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

My bit of search is coming up empty. Is this a job for the support people?

My phone is not receiving calls from other Public accounts. It will receive from TextNow. It will receive from Fido. It will receive from Shaw Mobile.

I move the sim to another phone and it receives calls fine.

I manually re-connect to Public (leaving it on automatic). I switch to 3G only. I power down and restart (basically the same as airplane mode but more so).

The caller just gets nothing and it hangs up.

The phone jumps up in bars the way it does when it switches to 3G. Then it goes no service. Then it returns to normal.

No Do Not Disturb. No blocked callers.

This has apparently been going for a few days so it doesn't seem related to todays events. Yeah yeah I'm a low usage user and nobody calls me that I know of. Now anyway.

What other search terms can I use. Or is this simply a job for the support people?

Adding - changed subject line

110 REPLIES 110

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

@softech- Finally got around to trying Samsung Pay. It works fine. The UAE firmware Samsung Pay definitely behaved differently. It wanted a whole login registration something or other. This one just went right in. I still prefer Google Wallet except for needing Tasker to turn on NFC and off when done. Samsung Pay just does. But Samsung Pay needs a pin to pay. Google Wallet just needs the user to have got in past whatever wake up security had been set like pattern or fingerprint or whatever. Pick your poison.

In other observations: sitting idle on LTE in about the same spot the phone sits where I type this over all this time...I might be seeing an extra bar of reception over what it was "before". Also curious is that the carrier/network/provider thingy shows TELUS. Not Public. It all works fine though. I'm not going to bother manually scanning and connecting to something else though when it's all working fine.

@softech- I just added my Koho card. It seemed to already know it so I had to verify it. Maybe I'll try to use it today. There's definitely some India related bloatware here and there.

@dust2dust wrote:

@softech- No, Android 12. Please read the comments from posters 🙂 Y

@dust2dust   I read, but I was just confused, that's why I asked again

For Samsung Pay, can you actually use it?  I think it can only be used with the correct geo-model.  So, only a Canadian model can be used to add Canadian cards.  It's not even firmware because there is a security chip invovled.

@softech- No, Android 12. Please read the comments from posters 🙂 Yes, the phone now answers a call from a Public phone. We'll see if these are famous last words as I slowly see what other callers can do.

The UAE firmware Samsung Pay didn't want to start up without some kind of signing up or something. That was from new two years ago. I don't remember noticing or caring after the factory resets. Samsung Pay now with the India firmware just started in no problem. So I noticed it.

Adding - @darlicious - So does my sturdy, trusty S7. But I don't think security is keeping up anymore.

@dust2dust   so, you are on Android 11 now and it works?

and you said Samsung Pay works?  I thought Samsung Pay in Canada would not work on  non-Canadian version of the phone.   

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@dust2dust

Whoop! Whoop! Woo-hoo! Hip Hip! Hooray!Yahoo! Yeehaw! Eureka!!!💡🎉🎈🎊🎆🌟🍾🥂🥳!!

I'm glad my A3 tops out at Android 8.😁

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Well...after all the anguish and stress, network resets, factory resets (both Android recovery and Samsung), Telus techs not able to fix it, the lack of credit for a sim change test, changing number not fixing it, all the tracking down of what can call in and what can't, the asking to switch sims with people, the complete illogic that the phone could receive from other providers but not Bellus and also work with another provider sim... I finally found the courage to re-do the firmware. I found an Android 12 version that matches my Baseband version. The firmware was originally "from" UAE. It had a couple things in About phone that always bothered me. So the version I decided on is for India. There were a few other countries that would have worked but I decided on India. Those things in About phone are now gone.

And...the phone answers calls now. From Public and TextNow. I'll see if I still get the junk calls from Fedex and the chinese recording and whoever else.

So I'm thanking @darlicious for the suggestions to go back to Android 11 which twigged the growing courage after frustration with support and to try out 12 first. Clearly and obviously something got seriously tripped up in the UAE version even doing factory resets. I suppose I could have tried out a copied firmware for the UAE. But I didn't. And Samsung Pay seems happier too. But I still prefer Google Wallet. Now I'll work through all the apps...again...and re-configure things.

Thank you everybody else for your inputs and shared bewilderment.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

@darlicious- The phone recognizes that a call has come in as the bars jump up and it tells me UMTS in the sim card status screen. Then it goes No service. Then it returns to idle on LTE. All in about 12 seconds.

A call that gets through will also have the bars jump up and then in another moment the phone starts ringing.

Maybe someone else with a Samsung running Android 12 can see what that Mobile voice network type says. When I manually switch to 3G only it goes quite rightly to UMTS.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@dust2dust 

Updated the post.

I would say that while the update to Android 12 has caused the issue that isn't an excuse for Bellus to use to not solve the issue that other customers are likely to run into updating their Samsung devices to Android 12. Obviously something within the Bellus network is precipitating the issue causing the call to not switch automatically to the 3G network to complete the call? The issue is not occurring on other networks using VoLTE. You need to confirm with at least one other provider using the 3G network only for voice calls if the issue also occurs. Preferably a test call from both chatr and lucky would be best. Maybe @sheytoon would have more insight based on this new information that's been compiled.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Thank you @darlicious . It's been so long I'm starting to lose track.

Mother is on Telus landline of some sort. I don't know if it's POTS or something newer. She is on Telus cellular pure PAYG. Nothing rings through.

The mother in law is on Telus landline of some sort. My suspicion would be POTS as she's using one of those "I've fallen and I can't get up" bracelets. She is on Telus cellular basic prepaid plan. Nothing rings through.

Brother is on Fido and can call in. I don't know about prepaid or postpaid.

A Fido sim allows a call in. I don't know about prepaid or postpaid.

(I think a BIL on) Rogers can call in. I don't know about prepaid or postpaid.

Eastlink calls in. (thank you) I don't know about prepaid or postpaid.

(a different BIL on) Shaw Mobile calls in. I don't know about prepaid or postpaid.

Freedom Mobile calls in. I don't know about prepaid or postpaid.

Free TextNow calls in.

Bell does not call in. I don't know about prepaid or postpaid.

Virgin does not call in. I don't know about prepaid or postpaid.

Koodo postpaid can not call in.

I have not tested any others as I don't know anybody on other providers.

Nor do I know if all of those that rang through were on volte. Maybe I'll ask my brother. On an iphone. Some day.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@dust2dust 

Now that I slept on this (mind you I was falling asleep as I wrote it) maybe there's a bit of a bug in the update? You have no issue calling out so the phone software is working correctly for outgoing calling. When you make a call the software automatically switches you down to the 3G network and the call commences on said network.

Incoming calling is where the software is having a problem and the Bellus network is contributing to it but who or what is responsible for the glitch or a bug is hard to determine. Correct me if I am wrong....this summary should help keep track of who/what works or not?

• Roger's network customers (postpaid) presumably using VoLTE can call and connect to your A3 without issue. However you have yet to confirm if subsidiaries using the 3G network for voice calls can fully connect and reach you successfully?

• Roger's prepaid ️  postpaid ️    PAYG     landline
  • Fido.     prepaid     postpaid
  • Chatr    prepaid     postpaid  n/a
  • Other    prepaid     postpaid.        (ie. City phone, Zoomer etc....owned by and/or using the Roger's network.)

• Bellus (Bell and Telus's shared network agreement) has resulted in mixed results with the basis being that customers with VoLTE calling enabled are able to connect and reach you. But does that  extend to VoLTE being enabled in their phones and their calling plans? Or having a Bellus approved phone? (Mostly phones sold by the provider and the accompanying propaganda they extoll.)

• Bell.      prepaid ️   postpaid ️     PAYG️      landline
  • Virgin.  prepaid ️   postpaid
  • Lucky.  prepaid ️     postpaid   n/a
  • Other.  prepaid (?) postpaid      (PC mobile....et al ?)

• Telus   prepaid ️     postpaid ️️       PAYG ️     landline ️
  • Koodo prepaid ️     postpaid
  • Public prepaid ️     postpaid     n/a

• Regional network providers that have their own networks but have Roaming agreements with Robelus (Roger's, Bell and Telus....Sasktel is in this group by the CRTC but is a regional provider that hold a monopoly in Saskatchewan with reciprocal roaming agreements with Robelus.) The regional providers of Eastlink, Videotron, Shaw who also owns Freedom (Shaw/Freedom merger/sale still not finalized) and ICE mobile in Canada's North owned by Iristel are main players although there are small market providers such as Tbay Tel could be included but would be very difficult to test unless community members with this plan (et al) volunteered to help test.

1. Sasktel          prepaid       postpaid ☑️        PAYG       landline☑️ 
  2. Lum               prepaid  ️**     postpaid  n/a  (voip-like provider)
  3. Videotron     prepaid☑️       postpaid☑️
  4. Fizz               prepaid       postpaid
  5. Eastlink        prepaid☑️       postpaid
  6. Shaw            prepaid ☑️      postpaid ️        landline
  7. Freedom      prepaid☑️       postpaid
  8. ICE mobile   prepaid       postpaid
  9. Voip providers ie. Textnow ️  

**Based on voip providers working.

Chart key:

️ : Confirmed working.

☑️ : Suspected will work.

️ : Confirmed not working.

️ : Suspected not working.

Blank : Unknown.

International providers and Canadian providers while Roaming?

Edit:

Corrected testing and added speculative test results based on stand alone separate networks, use of the 3G network for voice calls and/or use of the Bellus network by an MVNO.

Added key for chart.

I can try to get a call from my sister arranged....two in fact. She has Koodo postpaid for Roaming and Portuguese local Sim card likely postpaid since both mobile bills are paid by her employer. While I can try to arrange a reasonable time (noonish pt probably) even a completed call to voicemail would be an effective test if you head a heads up to silence your phone overnight.

It does seem that you can recieve calls from other provider's customers with VoLTE enabled phones using the 4G LTE network for voicecalls. It would be interesting to see if a 2G call will connect but I doubt it? I can edit any corrections or confirmations.

This should help lead you to a determination of whether its a provider/network issue or a software issue? Or both?😀

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Thank you @darlicious . Yes I'm kind of entertaining dabbling with roms now.

It still doesn't explain why non-Bellus can ring through or that a Fido sim works. (although I will grant the chance that that Fido might have used volte)

I should update things here. A while ago it was suggested by someone here (darlicious?) to change the number to see if that might trigger something. I finally got around to arranging with an agent to try to get the original number back regardless of whether the problem got fixed.

Changed the number last night. No change. The agent was able to put the original back. No change.

@dust2dust 

Would you look at this I spun my tablet just for you.....

@dust2dust wrote:

hmm Interesting. Mine's in a different order so I'll go down yours.

Same

Same idea

I have Mobile data network type = LTE

What's interesting is that I have Mobile voice network type = ...??? LTE

Same

Same

Same

Adding - my S7 is identical to yours (except reception)

more - I make a call and it switches to UMTS and the other HSPA+. Maybe not so interesting. Same thing it does for inbound (except then it goes no service)

Indeed you do now and it's called updating to Android 12 has automatically enabled VoLTE in your phone which is why you now have a Mobile voice network type=LTE and presumably greyed out VoLTE settings with VoLTE enabled. Samsung did this purposely with its US customers in mind however by doing this without a warning it has left customers like yourself between a rock and a hard place.

It seems the fix on your end would be downgrading back to Android 11 via Odin.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/no-volte-after-upgrade-to-android-12.4455393/

This does not answer the question as to why Bellus customers calling you cannot connect to your phone while customers from every other provider tested so far can? Technical support from telus or (even Bell) should be trying get to the bottom of this of course in theory it won't be an issue if telus just enables VoLTE for pm customers. It's almost as though they are blocking incoming VoLTE callers any time the call is recognized as VoLTE. Maybe we already have it and telus doesn't want us to know it and use it!!🤔

@softech- No. Why would I when two sims didn't work? And ultimately a whole other sim that had never seen the phone didn't work.

@dust2dust   so in the end, you never try changing your sim card? But honest, I doubt that would work.  

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@softech 

Are you sure about that? This is a dual Sim phone. I suppose at some point I could remove the SD card and put a second sim card in and make a phone call to see if anything changes?

@dust2dust 

Hmmm....maybe I have 3 because it's an older phone and Samsung improved its native phone app for dual Sim phones? Now I will also check the settings on the A11 I picked up to resell and see what they say?

That is crazy confusing. I have the one default dialer. I have TextNow but I seem to recall only texting can be integrated and it's not.

@darlicious 

just power of Google

The multiple phone app listings you are seeing are different sections of the phone app. One is a dialer, one is the actual in-call UI and another is the phone apps storage. Lastly, one of the other phone apps holds carrier specific settings

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@dust2dust 

Mobile voice network type? That is interesting🤔? I know I have a VoLTE setting somewhere but I can't find it right now but I believe it's greyed out as well? I wonder if a freedom card would allow you to enable it?

Here are my native phone app(s)? I have no idea why there are 3? This phone was factory reset about 2 years ago so I haven't added any related apps on it.

Screenshot_20221021-164739_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20221021-164524_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20221021-164805_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20221021-165025_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20221021-164848_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20221021-164859_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20221021-164939_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20221021-164930_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20221021-165211_Settings.jpg

Oops....these are not quite in the right order but you can go by the memory line to match them up. The second of the 3 phone apps is the one in use I am assuming going by the mobile data used. Or at least it's the phone app for Sim card slot #1? Or now that I think about and the date it may be Sim card slot #2 that I have my SD card in for my Playlist? Hopefully this isn't too confusing?

hmm Interesting. Mine's in a different order so I'll go down yours.

Same

Same idea

I have Mobile data network type = LTE

What's interesting is that I have Mobile voice network type = ...??? LTE

Same

Same

Same

Adding - my S7 is identical to yours (except reception)

more - I make a call and it switches to UMTS and the other HSPA+. Maybe not so interesting. Same thing it does for inbound (except then it goes no service)

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@dust2dust 

To compare......BTW...my mobile data is enabled.

Screenshot_20221021-163335_Settings.jpg

1. Greyed out.

2. LTE/3G/2G

3. Yes - isn't that simply mobile data off

4. Of course. Maybe LTE/3G using an app. But it has since been changed back. Likely after the factory reset.

5. No. Not unless you count the factory reset.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@dust2dust 

Do you have VoLTE toggled on? Do you also have the "preferred network type" set to LTE? Is your mobile network "disconnected" in about phone? Have you played with these settings since the issue started? What were they set to prior to self suspension? Have you uninstalled and reinstalled your native phone app?

@Nezgar- Seems people are hesitant to temporarily test their sim in another phone. One clerk let me put in their Fido sim. It worked fine calling from Public (my other older phone now holding my primary account sim). I did try a Telus retailer company account sim in the phone and it seemed to work. So then I'm not sure if it or the Fido sim used volte. I wasn't looking for that. So that's it for other sims.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@dust2dust 

Victim blaming. That sounds familiar with telus brands not taking responsibility for their inaction or failings. It also really rubs salt in the wound of a 30% rate to provide you with world class service and once you were forced to suspend to fight the hike and later reactivate you then have less services than before the rate hike. New marketing slogan....

"Less for More $$" and "You should be charged for basic features you need in the first place but we can no longer offer." "Public Mobile gives you Canada's largest network for the cheapest price with the highest single rate plan hike in history and you can no longer recieve calls from our network customers."

World class service indeed....worth every penny!!

🦬💩☎️📱🚫📲☎️💰💸💰🦨🦎🐼🐒🐖🦉🐸🐤🦘🤔?

@dust2dust Right right. Indeed this has been thoroughly investigated then. So strange that it seems to point to the phone - but only with a PM sim then...

Thank you @Nezgar. A while ago, the lovely and talented ever helpful one and only darlicious and I met up to try her Public sim in the phone. Same result.

There's still the SIM replacement route as a last resort to eliminate (even though we know it works OK in a different device) -- at the cost of a SIM that I know you previously expressed desire to avoid... but here we are now.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Telus has thrown in the towel. They don't know how to fix it. So they're pointing their fingers at the device and washing their hands of it saying that the SERVICE works on another device. They can't explain why the device works with another provider sim and that non-Bellus can call in. They don't know why and they can't fix it. They're done.

Samsung pointed their fingers at the provider. The provider pointed their fingers at the device. Here I am.

If @sheytoon would be willing to look at any of this from his perspective that would be helpful. I have one (or more?) ticket numbers from Telus.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@dabr 

Well we looked cool on the way there....

PXL_20220908_050345735.NIGHT.jpg

But still no change. My sim card could not be called in @dust2dust 's A31. It came out unscathed as my sim card works as expected in my A320.

Need Help? Let's chat.