cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add ons Randomly on my Bill

CateSan
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, 

Since the start of August I have had random 1G and 3G add on purchases on my account. 
I did not make these purchases through “myaccount” or whatever it is called. 
Is there something going on where it would automatically add these to my account if I run out of my monthly allotted data?  I have had this service for a few years and this is a new issue. 
PS. Sucks to not be able to speak with someone about this 😉

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

I think it's a very poor action by the company. Obviously they don't know who is holding the phone but for the spending of money out of the registered credit card without authorization is all kinds of bad. We're forced to register a card and the only way to sign up is using a card and we can't remove the card so they send this simple convenient purchase option offer and whoever is holding the phone can spend that money without a pin, without a password, without verification, without authorization. Just bad.

I remember reading a story of push back in the 611 service where anybody could dial in and make payments into the account without a pin or any verification...just like this. They did change 611 to require a pin for making payments from the credit card. This automatic purchase should stop. There has to be an extra layer of verification to pay from a credit card. The only standing authorization in our "contract" with the company is for autopay. We otherwise have to go through hoops of verification and authorization to make payments for top ups or add-ons. This purchase must require similar verifications and authorizations.

Adding - Here is the part in our "contract":
How does Public Mobile prepaid service work?
When you are subscribed, you have authorized Public Mobile to charge the payment method that you have registered, which will automatically renew your rate plan at the end of its subscription.
And:
How does billing work if I sign up for pre-authorized payments?
If you choose pre-authorized payments, we will renew your subscription automatically, by charging you the base plan amount on your subscription renewal date to the payment method you have registered on your account.

It does not say that we the customer authorize them to take money from the card to buy add-ons or upgrade a plan merely by saying yes to a text without additional authorization.

So once again the company is merrily going about breaching the "contract" that THEY impose on their customers to which they are also bound but seem to have no care in the world to abide by.

This also goes for automatic plan changes via the same kind of text offers. And this has been happening for the last little while for a few people who discover their kids have quietly bought data add-ons unbeknownst to their parents. Like, what?, more data?, say yes and that's it?...yes, send. Whoohoo.
And upgraded plans. Like, what?, a larger data bucket?, sign me up. Whoohoo.

@J_PM 

@CateSan 

I wouldn't suggest you disable AutoPay or removing the CC. You will have to make manual payments every 30 days...not worth it.

Best to just change the password on your daughter's account. As for the text promo, you can type in STOP by the only issue is that you might miss the More is Merrier free data and LD calling promo. I would see if you get a text about any upgrade promo and tell your daughter not to respond.

CateSan

Well, after some chatting. She did “fess up” and say she responded to one of those texts about adding data. 
Is there any way to disable those or do I just have to turn off auto pay and remove all my CC info from the account?

I never received an email about the purchases, just happened to actually review the account. 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

That phone might have received texts from here offering data add-ons as the account ran out of data. Then someone who saw that text might have replied to say yes.
Or someone knows the 4 digit account pin and used the registered credit card to buy add-ons through 611.
Do you see those add-ons in the add-on list (if they haven't already been all used up)?

@CateSan The second screenshot is just the monthly plan. The first screenshot looks like a 3GB data add-on that was purchased. Your daughter probably bought it, if you didn't.

CateSan

IMG_4167.png

IMG_4166.png

Thanks for the quick replies. This is a few of the charges this past couple of weeks. 
So, this is my daughters account. I manage it from the “myaccount” page. 
I have never purchased any add-ons for it. 
Thanks,

@CateSan 

I would suggest you check with your family if you have another account using your CC because add-ons are manually purchased and the add-ons automatically expires after 30 days.

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Well you are talking to someone about this now. LOL. Granted we don't work for PM but we're just regular customers. But @softech is smart as a whip and will give great advice to help figure this out.

My thoughts are...  are you sure those aren't the yearly Christmas gifts? Do you think maybe you can screen shot the fees so we can see? Just blank out any personal info like name and phone number ....

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@CateSan 

no, the system won't automatically buy addon if you run out.  It must be you or someone have access to your account buy via My Account or via *611 with your 4 digits account pin

Check the payment history, https://myaccount.publicmobile.ca/en/account/payment/payment-history , and maybe post a screenshot of those suspicious transactions showing on the payment history page for us to confirm 

Need Help? Let's chat.